Highlighted
Nov 02 2012
By: TONESTER_925 Uncharted Territory 1401 posts

"Thank God Crash Bandicoot isn’t in Playstation All-Stars" -GameStatistics

[ Edited ]
42 replies 1853 views Edited Nov 2, 2012

http://gamestatics.com/articles/god-crash-bandicoot-isnt-playstation-all-stars/playstation all stars 300x244 Thank God Crash Bandicoot isnt in Playstation All Stars

I’ve got low expectations for the upcoming Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal. In fact, not keeping it a secret has gotten me in quite a bit of trouble in the past. But I’m not the kind of writer who can be leashed in by things like “public opinion” and “editor concerns”, no SIR. I’m a renegade. And just like real renegades I might find myself unemployed by saying this, but: thank GOD Crash Bandicoot isn’t in the roster. It seems Sony has done SOMETHING right in the pitching of this game.

It’s probably the most common concern I’ve heard with the game: “Where’s Crash Bandicoot?!” “Crash was the Playstation Mascot back in the early days, why forsake him now?!” and so on. People seem really bothered by his exclusion, and have even started a petition… a petition which got a comfortably low amount of signatures, but still.

Frankly, this fan reaction has baffled me. Yeah, I can sort of see why having Crash would be nice, especially since the roster without him is mostly one big collection of white guys with hair problems. Hell, there are only two girls to choose from. Maybe one transgender depending on how literally you take the name “Sackboy”. I can also see why it’d be nice to have a callback to a simpler time when the Playstation was a new console and was only staying afloat due to the unprecedented support it received from third parties.

But even considering all that, we need to keep one very important thing in perspective: Crash is irrelevant. His latest PlayStation-exclusive game is over 12 years old, and every game made after that (and a few made before) were for multiple systems: at this point he’d qualify to fight in Super Smash Brothers. His latest title was Crash Bandicoot Nitro Racing 2, and it came out for mobile phones two years ago. Crash Bandicoot is a relic, a product of an earlier age: do you remember (I hope you don’t, for your own sake) the opening of Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts? Well that’s Crash. That’s Crash Bandicoot right there. He didn’t go out with a bang, but a whimper, and no one even asks anymore “When will we get another Crash Bandicoot game?” And you know what? It’s better that way. Want proof? Look at Sonic the Hedgehog. See what happens when a franchise doesn’t fade out with dignity? See what happens when it struggles to be as relevant as it once was? It becomes a joke. It becomes hated. It becomes detested by its own fans because it humiliates itself when it tries desperately to re-capture that magic that once defined it.

Look at the modern “reboots” we’ve been getting of old franchises: Bionic Commando. Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). Kid Icarus: Uprising. Banjo-Kazooie. Prince of Persia. Duke Nukem Forever. Tales of Monkey Island. Wolfenstien. Splatterhouse. They’ve all been mediocre at best, and soul-crushingly terrible at worst. The few that do it right (XCOM and Skylanders, respectively) are so divorced from their original it’s basically just changing the  of a different game entirely. I don’t think the gaming industry really has it in it yet to really be able to ‘reboot’ something successfully while staying true to the spirit of the original: maybe Devil May Cry will change that, but I’m not holding my breath. I’m not saying including Crash would inevitably be a sign that his franchise would be rebooted. I’m saying that you need to let things die. All things end (Ironically, that was the message of Sonic and the Black Knight), and its better they end with fond memories than bitter ones. Crash Bandicoot is gone. Let’s not dig up his corpse so he can dance pathetically for us on stage, a shallow ghost of what he once was. We have plenary of other irrelevant corpses in the character roster already, they don’t need competition.

…and before you say it, I’m not going to defend Nintendo’s decision to include Ice Climbers or Pitt to the Smash Brothers Roster. If I WAS going to defend it, I’d say that those characters were so irrelevant they were forgotten about, so they couldn’t exactly tarnish any memories.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 43 (1,853 Views)
Wastelander
809 posts

Re: "Thank God Crash Bandicoot isn’t in Playstation All-Stars" -GameStatistics

Nov 2, 2012
God this is so stupid.

/Kill yourself.
Message 2 of 43 (1,846 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Nov 2, 2012

You are an idiot. You have a whole wall of text and it is nothing but crap. You didn't make a single good point. You are not a rebel. You are just an idiot with a lot of hot air. Honestly how can you write such BS with a straight face and justify it to make it worse. No wonder you post has no one else but me writing on it. I can't believe I bothered to waste my time and words answering you.

Message 3 of 43 (1,833 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
561 posts

Nov 2, 2012

I dont think this is him talking. seems it one of those gaming websites talking.

Message 4 of 43 (1,818 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1273 posts

Nov 2, 2012

Hey **bleep** this came from an article he found on the web and he is only posting it here. This isn't his opinion, its someone elses.

"I'm watching you in the shadows........nah im right next to ya"
Message 5 of 43 (1,817 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1401 posts

Nov 2, 2012

cosmis_chaos wrote:

You are an idiot. You have a whole wall of text and it is nothing but crap. You didn't make a single good point. You are not a rebel. You are just an idiot with a lot of hot air. Honestly how can you write such BS with a straight face and justify it to make it worse. No wonder you post has no one else but me writing on it. I can't believe I bothered to waste my time and words answering you.

Great Job!

Photobucket
Message 6 of 43 (1,812 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1401 posts

Nov 2, 2012

n0rmal94 wrote:

Hey **bleep** this came from an article he found on the web and he is only posting it here. This isn't his opinion, its someone elses.

It's okay. It must be that time of the month

Photobucket
Message 7 of 43 (1,804 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3239 posts

Nov 2, 2012
This is an article from a website not tonester. he post up a lot of news articles about the game lol it isn't him.

MAY THE SQUARE DRIVE YOUR BLADES KRATOS!
Currently playing: FF14, MGSV, Witcher 3.
Message 8 of 43 (1,790 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
854 posts

Nov 2, 2012

I read the title and honestly hoped the guy would make a good point. I love crash, but my want for his inclusion is running thin the longer we wait. It would be nice to have some logical reason to exclude him from the title so if he doesn't make it SB doesn't get crucified for it. Though I was very disappointed, this guy couldn't have brought up a less valid point if he tried. What a shame...

Message 9 of 43 (1,788 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1401 posts

Nov 2, 2012

COS-117 wrote:

I read the title and honestly hoped the guy would make a good point. I love crash, but my want for his inclusion is running thin the longer we wait. It would be nice to have some logical reason to exclude him from the title so if he doesn't make it SB doesn't get crucified for it. Though I was very disappointed, this guy couldn't have brought up a less valid point if he tried. What a shame...

Talk to Activision. It's their call

Photobucket
Message 10 of 43 (1,775 Views)
0 Likes