Highlighted
Oct 08 2012
By: TONESTER_925 Uncharted Territory 1401 posts

"PSASBR Preview" - WhatCulture

6 replies 205 views Edited Oct 8, 2012

http://whatculture.com/gaming/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-preview.php

I’ve stated in the past how it’s been a long time dream of mine to see a mascot brawler appear on the Playstation platf.... So it was with great excitement that I sat down to play Playstation All Stars Battle Royale with three other Eurogamer attendees. It is unfortunate then that when I left it had gone down somewhat in my estimations, going from a must buy to a maybe I’ll just pick it up for cheap later on. All Stars isn’t a clone of Smash Brothers, simply because it doesn’t have the accessibility and overall fun factor that Nintendo’s property has.

The idea is sound, but the execution is lacking. Jumping into the game, the first thing I noticed was how inaccessible it was to the new player. While with Smash Brothers a newcomer can jump in and have fun with it, but provide a deeper experience for veterans, All Stars wants you to spend time with it, which was impossible during my demo time of two battles. Would I have enjoyed it better if I knew what I was doing? Undoubtedly, however I need to take my experience at face value.

Concerning the roster, it’s a bit hit and miss when it comes to iconic characters. My partner in crime Joe commented on how it made you realise how few stand out characters Sony has, while another player raised concerns that there was a distinct lack of female characters on the board. For my part I found the selection to be adequate, if a bit lacklustre. While it’s awesome to see the likes of Sir Daniel, Spike and Parappa back on the big screen, there are a few characters that just don’t have the same appeal. It makes the exclusion of characters like Crash Bandicoot even more glaring.

The battles themselves are explosive affairs. Characters jump around and show off their remarkably flashy move sets. There’s a lot of depth to be had if you had time to really get into it, with the square, triangle and circle buttons all serving attack purposes, with different moves mapped to those depending on flicks of the analogue stick.

The game looks great and the level design is vibrant and a joy to fight on, each delivering a unique set of challenges. We fought on a Buzz/LittleBigPlanet hybrid and were pelted with pies for getting a question wrong. The fighting however is chaotic, and we found it hard to keep track of what was going on. We would die and not know who killed us or how. The game is faster than Smash Brothers which lends to the finesse, and confusion.

There’s also no on-screen data on how well you’re doing compared to other players. Whether it’s how often you’ve died or how many kills you’ve racked up. All of this is only revealed at the end, where your kills are weighed against your deaths, the winner being those who score the highest. It’s a little disconcerting not knowing just how well the fight is going, which lends to a feeling of ambiguity that did put some people off.

It’s difficult to comment on whether characters are overpowered or not, again because of the steep learning curve of the game. I did better with Cole than I did with Sir Daniel, utilising a mix of ranged and melee attacks, while Joe likened Parappa to about as useful as a wet paper bag, feeling distinctly underpowered compared to the sweeping attacks of Kratos or Raiden.

The game has a lot of potential, and looks to reward players who are willing to dedicate the time and hard work in figuring out all of the nuances of each of the characters. The inaccessibility will hurt it though, and younger players, who should provide a large audience, dragged in by the visuals and very concept of the game, could be put off. Sony and SuperBot Entertainment seem to want to create a hardcore tournament brawler when they should in fact be heading in the opposite direction.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 7 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
565 posts

Re: "PSASBR Preview" - WhatCulture

Oct 8, 2012
If you ever read a positive preview for PASBR, you'll know the author was good at the game.

If you read any decent or negative hands-on articles it usually has to do with said authors performance.
I hate Signatures because I can never tell if it's apart of their post.
Message 2 of 7 (187 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Oct 8, 2012
Ha, totally true.

Message 3 of 7 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2794 posts

Oct 8, 2012

I only had to read the 1st few lines to come up with the statement that this author/critic is a dumb a**

Of course it'll be different to get used to, you're not using a bloody Wii control or a Gamecube control!!!!!!!

People expect to hate on this game because they think it will be so similar but trash on it and argue anyway when it's not! It only took me like 3 games to get used to the controls!

I'm sorry... But just F these guys.

Message 4 of 7 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1329 posts

Oct 8, 2012
"All Stars isn’t a clone of Smash Brothers"
wait wait wait.... Why didn't he say it was a clone? A rip-off? The beautiful son of?
This is all wrong.. My brain can't handle this much logic in a review!
Message 5 of 7 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1401 posts

Oct 8, 2012
If you expect to play this game like Smash instead of the how the game is set up you will get destroyed...........by me and sweetness
Photobucket
Message 6 of 7 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
31 posts

Oct 8, 2012
I do not usually comment much on the forum, I do just to read the comments of others, because I did not express myself correctly in English.

I tried not to answer all sorts of complaints about the game, especially the list of characters etc. But this just makes me angry.

He says the game is not available for new players. Well, if you play only two games, maybe. But when you have more than two game you already know play perfectly, not as a professional, but you know where you are in the game.

I say this because I've played the beta. The first two games were chaotic, but the rest were incredible. I win many games, also lost some but always losing did not matter, because the game had been exciting and hard-played

By this I mean that if you play more than two games you can consider yourself a player stop again.

Even my brother, age 9, with Kratos and Sweet was a good player. I play with was fun. And possibly be my companion in the game, because my friends do not like.

In conclusion, I believe that this criticism is unfounded

Sorry for the grammar
Message 7 of 7 (91 Views)
0 Likes