Uncharted Territory
1360 posts

Re: "Is This The Game You Wanted?" - Laser Lemming

Aug 30, 2012

Someone should punch that guy in the stomach.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 11 of 31 (142 Views)
Sackboy
546 posts

Aug 30, 2012
Biased people should be thrown out of jobs involving video game reviewing and articles the second they show signs of fanboyism. We need people that love VIDEO GAMES doing this, not just fans of one or two companies.
Why did the chicken cross the road?
We're both lawyers.
Message 12 of 31 (134 Views)
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2012

Hello all,

I am the writer of the article being posted. First of all I would like to thank you all for the glowing compliments. Especially the guy that said I should "be punched in the stomach." Certainly a rational response to an editorial you didn't agree with.

If you get all the way through the article (which I'm SURE you all did before posting), you'd see that I compliment the game throughout the entire article. And even admit my own faults and biases at the end of it.

But I admit, I said "Smash Clone" so please throw all reason out the window and call it "the worst article I've ever read!" I'm sure Sony wouldn't want anyone to associate their fond memories of Smash Bros. with a game that clearly went out of its way not to mimic it.

Thank you for your time.

Love,

LaserLemming

Message 13 of 31 (123 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1044 posts

Aug 30, 2012
^ hey I read it and a i'd agreed, they didn't read it they disagreed
A African-American adult male has taken illegally possession of my 2-wheeled mode of transportation thus has acquired my property under false pretenses
Message 14 of 31 (108 Views)
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2012

Well thanks, sonic! That's mighty human of you!

Message 15 of 31 (100 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1005 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2012

My only issue with the article is this
"You can fault Sony for blatantly taking something that wasn’t theirs and attempting to bill it as a new idea."

I don't recall ever hearing someone say it was a new idea. People have asked them about it, and compared it to smash in interviews with them, and they're totally honest about it. That just makes it seem like Sony/Superbot aren't aware of its inspiration, when they are and have admitted to as much. 

Also, to answer the question of the article. Yes actually. It is the game I wanted, for 10 years probably. Is it exactly how I pictured it? No, but thats for the best I imagine 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Omar - "what are you guys doing? Why did you get rid of crash!"
Game devs - "we wanted to put in evil Cole so we had to get rid of everyone else the fans wanted"
Omar- "Oh nice, good idea. I didn't think of that"
Message 16 of 31 (94 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2012

Message 17 of 31 (83 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2012

"I don't recall ever hearing someone say it was a new idea. People have asked them about it, and compared it to smash in interviews with them, and they're totally honest about it. That just makes it seem like Sony/Superbot aren't aware of its inspiration, when they are and have admitted to as much."

was actually worried that line might get taken the wrong way. I'm aware that SuperBot never denies the Smash-influence. I was actually referring to the unveiling of the game on Spike, in which no mention of Smash Bros. was ever given. I don't blame them for not talking about Nintendo during their unveil, but it was sort of glaring when it happened.

Message 18 of 31 (80 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1005 posts

Aug 30, 2012

I don't see why they should have to. You don't see third person shooters saying they got the idea from the other third person shooters, or platformers saying they got their inspiration from pitfall, or anything like that. Especially since its a competitor. I'm guessing they figured that people would make that connection on their own, and flat out saying "We thought our competitors had a good idea, so we took it" isn't the best business practice, as it makes it look like you can't come up with any of your own ideas, even outside of this particular game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Omar - "what are you guys doing? Why did you get rid of crash!"
Game devs - "we wanted to put in evil Cole so we had to get rid of everyone else the fans wanted"
Omar- "Oh nice, good idea. I didn't think of that"
Message 19 of 31 (71 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1401 posts

Aug 30, 2012
Why should SuperBot continue to mention Smash Bros.? They don't owe them anything but a "thank you for making your franchise with this platform style fighting style a success, watch us make ours now."

I wish SuperBot would stop all acknowledgement of Smash Bros. I think they will be able to concentrate more.

Everyone knows by now that SuperBot gained the idea from Smash why do you "Journalists" still write about it?
Photobucket
Message 20 of 31 (64 Views)