Highlighted
Jan 23 2013
By: Xaltis Lombax Warrior 216 posts
Accepted Solution

"Going Commando" A Ratchet & Clank Guide to the top!

[ Edited ]
49 replies 879 views Edited Jan 31, 2013

(Sorry if this is not where this is supposed to be posted, I couldn't find any character boards, move if necessary.)

What's up Ratchet & Clank players? I'm here to help and show you guys how to make it to the top with Sony's best duo Ratchet and Clank. I've been requested to help players multiple times from random messages because I'm at the top of the FFA ladder. So instead of having multiple conversations with players and explaining how to play the character over and over again, I figured I might as well make a full guide.

2013-01-31_01-28-25_348.jpg

For those of you that don't know Ratchet & Clank's moveset you can just go here to learn the moves and the names of them " 
http://www.playstationallstarsbattleroyale.com/All-Stars/14 " So let me start this guide already.

3 Things you need to do

1. Know how your character works and how your opponents work.
2. Have quick reflexes and reaction time.
3. Be aware of your surroundings

Knowing how Ratchet & Clank works

If you're new to Ratchet & Clank or want to pick them up, go to training mode and test them out to get a feel for them. After learning how the characters work, I went to training mode multiple times to see what moves give you the most AP, what combos would work well and give the most AP, and how to set up level 1s. What seems to give you the most AP would be the Warmonger gun (UTriangle). It gives you 30 AP when hitting someone. It's also great to use under platforms when someone is above you.

Most of the time you want to either get below someone or hit them upwards with the Lightning Ravager (Up Square) and combo it into the Warmonger and from my experience most players will jump in the air and go the opposite way so just turn around jump and shoot a second warmonger at them for a 3rd hit. The possible biggest combo you can get with this move is.

Tesla Spike (Down Circle) an inch above the ground -> Comet-Strike *Wrench Throw* (Forward Square)-> Lightning Ravager (Up Square)-> Ariel Warmonger (Up Triangle) -> turn around Ariel Warmonger (If you read your opponent correctly). You have less lag when using moves in the air, which is why I used Ariel Warmonger.

There are other moves that are good for AP such as the Sonic Erupter (Triangle) and Constructo Pistol (Forward Triangle) and the Agents of Doom (Forward Circle) if there's too much commotion going on and you're too close to everyone. I feel like Mr. Zurkon is a situational move, he gives you 17 AP if he can hit an opponent 17 times, he takes 3 hits to die and each time he is hit by an opponent they get 10 AP so 30 total. If you use Mr.. Zurkon and you start getting comboed then you pretty much just gave the enemy free AP, but if you use him while your doing well, then it works out in your favor. Just know when the situation calls for him and when it doesn't.

The Plasma Striker (Circle) will be your main source of damage if it's not the Warmonger. This sniper gives you 20 AP a hit, and knocks the enemy down which can set up into a level 1 if your close enough and if they're against a wall. But most of the time you want to be pretty far away to use this gun, and you need to be fast with aiming and shooting. Using it on the ground is not recommended. If you hold Circle in the air you can mind game your opponent and dodge level 1s. Sometimes I would use it in the air, and a Kratos would level 1 on the ground predicting me to land, I'd just hold myself in the air and I would avoid his level 1.

Buzz Blades (Down Triangle) is another good move you should use. The main use I find for this is to interrupt other opponent's level 1s or combos, other than that it barley gives you any AP so don't use it for that. If you're really camping hard you can set up Tesla Spikes (Down Circle) as a wall to block off people from just diving at you.

Having quick reflexes and reaction time

Okay so in any kind of fighter game, you gotta be fast and be able to react quickly to be good. Same applys here, with Ratchet & Clank you got to be fast at everything if you're going to compete with character like Kratos, Raiden, Dante etc. They're moves are very fast and can combo you very well, so you need to be able to dodge and attack fast with your moves, every move you use needs to be fast. If you can't keep up with the speedy characters, then you're not going to be able to win, simple as that. If someone has a quick level 1 and your not being comboed into it, you need to make sure you know how to air dodge or roll quickly out of the way.

Be aware of your surroundings

Another good thing to know while playing as Ratchet & Clank is your surrondings. Learn what stages are good for you to play on, (even though FFA ranked the stage choice is random). A few things you should know are what the stage hazards do at what time, and what items are best for you to use. Any AP draining items are good to use, the claws are probably your worst one to use because you have to become a melee character which is bad. The other AP draining items are fine to use though maybe not the purple staff from Kratos's game. I'd say the best items for you to get aside the AP draining beam and Medusas head (probably the 2 best items in the game) the rocket launcher and the bomb that explodes into multiple other bombs which explode. The speed boots are great for you to use for getting away from the melee characters that are trying to chase you down.

Combos

I might have said some of these already so I'm going to keep this short. Here are some combos you can use.

Circle->Circle (into a wall)->Forward Triangle (into a wall)->Up Triangle->Up Traingle.

Up throw->Up Triangle

Square x3 (into a wall)-> Forward Triangle (into a wall)->Up Triangle->Up Traingle.

Square x3 (into a wall)-> Traingle charged.

Forward throw (into a wall) chain grab if you can read the opponent.

For other basic combos you can check them out here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0NsbYUPLxU

In another guide made by "xQziCyFlaMeZxQz" he said this. " Ratchet's most important known combo

Neutral Triangle + Side Square (x2) + Up Square + Up Triangle

Its quick and really easy to pull off, even in a 4 player FFA. Actually it is easier to pull of in a FFA than a 2v2 or 1v1 because its easier to catch your opponent off guard."

Now I'm not trying to pu this guy down or anything, this is actually a really good combo, but it's just not safe enough to use in a FFA which this guide is for. Nobody in a FFA ranked especialy black belts are going to let you hit them with this, it's also not a safe combo because your on the ground for way to long to get hit be a level 1, I would only recommend using this combo if you can set it up in a 1v1 or maybe a 2v2.

Level 1 Set ups

Decided to add this in here, I'm going to tell you a few ways to set up Ratchet's Level 1 (Ryno V). First there's the most common suck them up and throw them into a corner and level 1 them. You can also have your back to the wall while having your opponent in a grab, throw them down and level 1, they can't roll behind you because your back is against the wall already, and they can't roll far away enough to get out of the way, it's a gurantee kill. Another way is If you're close enough to your opponent you can Plasma Strike (Circle) them into a wall and when the second hit knocks them down just level 1 them. The last way that I know of so far is a grounded Multistrike (Sqaure 3 times) into a wall/corner into level 1. That's pretty much all the ways to set up into your level 1, unless I forgot some, but these are probably the best ways to do it.

Glitches and Bugs

As good of a game as this is, from what I know it didn't have the biggest team working on it which lead to a ton of glitches and bugs. I'm just going to talk about the ones Ratchet & Clank have. One good thing is I haven't seen any on Ratchet's level 1. Clank's level 2 has 2 glitches on it, the first one is if you use Clank's level 2, after your done and transform back into Ratchet & Clank, you will be stuck with a blue level 2 aura around you and won't be able to use anymore supers until you die. I don't know for 100% how the glitch happens, but I'm guessing it's either random or it happens when you use your level 2 when someone else has just used their level 2 as well, and for getting rid of it dying works for sure which is unfair, or possibly falling of the stage which I haven't really tried yet but that can also lead to a death. The second glitch is being knocked out of your level 2 as soon as you transform into Clank. This has only happened to me once, and I'm assuming it happens when you get hit by a knock back regular attack as your transforming. Ratchet & Clank's level 3 glitch is pretty bad, basically when you use level 3 you bullets and missiles are not shooting where your aiming. Instead they're off by few feet making it harder to aim your level 3 and get the kills you worked to get. This glitch is completely random from my understanding and there's no way to avoid it until it get's patched.

That's all you need to know about Ratchet & Clank and how to get to make it to the top with them. I hope this helps a lot of other Ratchet & Clank players out there. Good luck to you all come join me at the top!

Photobucket
Message 1 of 50 (879 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Re: "Going Commando" A Ratchet & Clank Guide to the top!

Jan 23, 2013

I don't mean to be an **bleep**, but do you know how to edit your post? Or was this just a weird double post?

------------------------------------------------
Fresh to death
Message 2 of 50 (872 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
216 posts

Jan 23, 2013
I don't see a double post on my page. The text does look a little off in some parts which is confusing to fix when edited. If there is a mod/admin can I ask they touch it up for me please?
Photobucket
Message 3 of 50 (863 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Jan 23, 2013

Let me rephrase. You made two topics, is all. Was a little confusing.

------------------------------------------------
Fresh to death
Message 4 of 50 (857 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
216 posts

Jan 23, 2013
Did I really? I didn't mean to do that so that must have been some kind of posting error. The other one needs to get deleted.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 50 (851 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1622 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2013

I think your numbers for Mr.Zurkon are off I'm pretty sure he can get a total of 17ap if your opponents standing still(which will never happen in a match) and they get 30ap for destroying him. Overall he has his uses but I think this is the only thing in Ratchets move set that needs a buff he either needs to continue to shoot while your moving (I really don't see why he doesn't) or the opponent needs to get no ap or a lot less than what he can give you for destroying him.

Message 6 of 50 (787 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
216 posts

Jan 24, 2013
Fixed. Not sure how I counted it wrong, (I guess no one is perfect) but thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Photobucket
Message 7 of 50 (741 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1622 posts

Jan 24, 2013
No problem it wasn't like a trying to one up you or anything just saying is all, and I think that's kinda much don't you? He can net a max of 17ap which will never happen in a match and they get 30 for destroying him. As I said before this needs a slight buff in either he continues to shoot when you move (I'm pretty sure he doesn't) or they need to gain less so then he could not you or none for destroying him.
Message 8 of 50 (736 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
216 posts

Jan 24, 2013
Yea no problem I know you were just trying to help lol. And I agree with you, which is why I only use him when I'm doing really well, there's no need to give the opponents free AP.
Photobucket
Message 9 of 50 (727 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Awesome guide man

Kudos to you! 

Message 10 of 50 (648 Views)