Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 08 2012
By: ShotofCyanide Hekseville Citizen 282 posts
Accepted Solution

"DLC characters as needed"?

26 replies 1229 views Edited Jul 8, 2012

So super bot stated at evo that the were only going to release dlc characters on a as needed basis.

Omar Kendell seemed not to be in favor of a big dlc line-up because dlc characters can change the whole balance of the pre-determined roster. I admit we have seen this in quite a few fighting games, people want dlc characters but dont want to feel ripped off for buying them. Which sometimes results in a OP character.

There is absolutely no way super bot will please everyone with their roster but i hope they are willing to keep a "open mind" about dlc. If they're worried about character blancing than it should be a problem they address head on not try and avoid.

- If you like my idea or post, be sure to let me know with kudos =) -
Message 1 of 27 (1,229 Views)
Gaming Beast
1828 posts

Re: "DLC characters as needed"?

Jul 8, 2012

Imo, DLC in a fighting game is just **bleep** it's like taking pieces from a chess game.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Message 2 of 27 (1,127 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1329 posts

Jul 8, 2012

ShotofCyanide wrote:
There is absolutely no way super bot will please everyone with their roster but i hope they are willing to keep a "open mind" about dlc. If they're worried about character blancing than it should be a problem they address head on not try and avoid.

Don't worry about balancing, they also talked about how they'll definitely change things that are OP. Through data that every single player will give in by simply playing the game.

If they go online and get massacred by the same character again and again, Superbot will balance it without patching it.

It's some awesome stuff, Mortal Kombat did it aswell :smileyhappy:

Message 3 of 27 (1,114 Views)
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jul 8, 2012

Joe-Itz070 wrote:

Imo, DLC in a fighting game is just **bleep** it's like taking pieces from a chess game.

When it pertains to characters, not costumes and the sort, it kind of gets muddy.  I guess one of the solutions would be to only charge for alternate costumes and stages but allow new characters to just be 'patched' in when the team is done with them.  For instance, Jak doesn't make it into the game but is the first character to come post-release.  He'll come with a patch or just a standard game update and be unlocked for everyone but if you want any alternate costumes (3-4 standard maybe) or his stage, maybe charge $3-4 for them.  Or put him in an update but have goals to unlock him (beat the game with Sly and Ratchet or something of that sort).

But it's DLC so I kind of always have an 'eh' opinion to how it's handled.  I know Team Ninja said they wouldn't charge for characters in DOA5 but I think that was more of a jab at Capcom over the way they'd been handling characters/DLC in their fighters and the crap that happened with SFxT (DLC characters on disc but being held till the Fall after the Vita release but Capcom has had their hand forced and is releasing them now at the end of the month).

"As needed", I kind of expect them to hold official polls and get some feedback on who people want to see.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Message 4 of 27 (1,107 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
595 posts

Jul 8, 2012

I hate DLC but I will still probably get it.

Solid Snake/ Big Boss for PSASBR

I make it rain with Kudos

Message 5 of 27 (1,065 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

Jul 8, 2012

Thats a very good point. I think with that kind of balancing they should definintely lean towards more dlc. Who dosent want more variety in their roster? and think if the character you wanted most didnt make the cut, wouldnt it be nice if the character had a good chance of being available for dlc?

Message 6 of 27 (1,056 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

Jul 8, 2012

Can they put in characters in game via patch?? I dont think i've ever heard of that before.

Message 7 of 27 (1,055 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1828 posts

Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, I'm okay with stages and costumes since that doesn't affect the gameplay for people who don't have the DLC.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Message 8 of 27 (1,005 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
557 posts

Jul 9, 2012

I'm guessing they mean they'll start doing DLC when sales are decreasing

Message 9 of 27 (974 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2388 posts

Jul 9, 2012
Im pretty confident that they will do DLC but not a ton of it. They have stated that they are gonn make this a franchise, if they put in every single character people are asking for in the first game than there would be no point in making a second one.
Message 10 of 27 (943 Views)
0 Likes