Fender Bender
2516 posts

Re: Your Most Overated game or series?

Oct 23, 2012

When I play Half-Life, I just want to run around and kill things.  The simple idea of no cutscenes means I don't care about the characters and neither do I care about the storyline.  It's too hard to follow or care about because there is no cutscenes.  Take Uncharted for example, lots of amazing cutscenes and amazing gameplay.  It's better than Half-Life by leaps and bounds.

Then that's your fault as a player. Uncharted is struggling to be relevant, what with all the brown hair master race and killing all the foreigners.

I know this is probably going to put a damper on the thread but; saying Half Life is bad compared to Uncharted is literally an afront to gaming as a whole. Its insulting by every meager part of the word. When a game cuts off to show a small animation of the player saying or doing something it doesn't give the player much to do. This is why Asura's Wrath and Heavy Rain are so ridiculously stupid; because all they do is rely on cutscene.

See, I personally don't.. 'like', Half Life, because its not my cup of tea, but I am aware its the greatest game in terms of story from player interaction alone. Its only rivaled by games like Shadow of the Colossus.

Besides, the entire games industry is still behind Valve in terms of downloadable content (TF2), game replayability (L4D), storytelling (Half-Life), and interesting mechanics (Portal).

Message 31 of 71 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2516 posts

Oct 23, 2012

And even though you're in such a spectucular world you play as one of the most boring characters ever, Gordon Freeman. The reason is his muteness; and the reasoning behind his muteness is so the player can be more immersed. But it de-immerses me because you run into hundreds of followers, of high leaders, of close friends who talk to you but don't let you say a word. You're not Gordon Freeman, you're not even a character; you're an avatar killing machine. 

Yeah, because he is what you put him to be. He isn't one solitary thing.

Message 32 of 71 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Oct 23, 2012

Final Fantasy VII.

Message 33 of 71 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
489 posts

Oct 23, 2012

MarrowOchi wrote:

And even though you're in such a spectucular world you play as one of the most boring characters ever, Gordon Freeman. The reason is his muteness; and the reasoning behind his muteness is so the player can be more immersed. But it de-immerses me because you run into hundreds of followers, of high leaders, of close friends who talk to you but don't let you say a word. You're not Gordon Freeman, you're not even a character; you're an avatar killing machine. 

Yeah, because he is what you put him to be. He isn't one solitary thing.

But that's like Story-Telling 101 stuff. The main character has to have some dimmension to him because the main character is what drives the narrative. They cannot be perfect people; they have to have complexity. Gordon is percect, and therefore boring; he has no dimmension, no complexity. All of his/your actions are for good. 

Message 34 of 71 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 23, 2012

MarrowOchi wrote:

When I play Half-Life, I just want to run around and kill things.  The simple idea of no cutscenes means I don't care about the characters and neither do I care about the storyline.  It's too hard to follow or care about because there is no cutscenes.  Take Uncharted for example, lots of amazing cutscenes and amazing gameplay.  It's better than Half-Life by leaps and bounds.

Then that's your fault as a player. Uncharted is struggling to be relevant, what with all the brown hair master race and killing all the foreigners.

I know this is probably going to put a damper on the thread but; saying Half Life is bad compared to Uncharted is literally an afront to gaming as a whole. Its insulting by every meager part of the word. When a game cuts off to show a small animation of the player saying or doing something it doesn't give the player much to do. This is why Asura's Wrath and Heavy Rain are so ridiculously stupid; because all they do is rely on cutscene.

See, I personally don't.. 'like', Half Life, because its not my cup of tea, but I am aware its the greatest game in terms of story from player interaction alone. Its only rivaled by games like Shadow of the Colossus.

Besides, the entire games industry is still behind Valve in terms of downloadable content (TF2), game replayability (L4D), storytelling (Half-Life), and interesting mechanics (Portal).

Half-Life has terrible story interaction, Uncharted connects you to the characters unlike Half-Life.

Message 35 of 71 (149 Views)
Survivor
2383 posts

Oct 23, 2012
anything with a fanbase is overrated to be honest ._.
Monkey D. Luffy (one piece) "I'm the man who's going to be the Pirate King!"
Guts (berserk) " I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. "
Message 36 of 71 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1384 posts

Oct 23, 2012

dragonfire111 wrote:
anything with a fanbase is overrated to be honest ._.

true, in most cases

[URL=http://s854.photobucket.com/user/princedastankeizon/media/princeofpersiasig_zpsebd22603.png.html][IMG]http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/princedastankeizon/princeofpersiasig_zpsebd22603.png[/IMG][/URL]
prince of Persia moveset: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Prince-of-Persia-in-all-stars/m-p/38273897#M125640
Message 37 of 71 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
424 posts

Oct 23, 2012

-Call of Duty

-God of War

-Final Fantasy

Message 38 of 71 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy