Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/25/2011
Offline
5310 posts
 

Re: Your Most Overated game or series?

Oct 23, 2012

MarrowOchi wrote:

Halo, Call of Duty, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Gears of War, Resistence, Killzone, Doom, Street Fighter, Tekken, God of War, Asura's Wrath, Persona, Grand  Theft Auto, The Walking Dead, Final Fantasy, Disgaea, Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim, Nintendo in general, Microsoft in general, Sony in general.

 

I can't put Valve on that list because Half-Life, TF2, L4D, and Portal are popular for a 'reason' instead of just plain overpopular.


Valve is overrated also the fact they don't use cutscenes makes the story in their games extremely hard to follow.

Message 21 of 71 (178 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 08/01/2012
Offline
1384 posts
 

Re: Your Most Overated game or series?

Oct 23, 2012

MarrowOchi wrote:

Halo, Call of Duty, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Gears of War, Resistence, Killzone, Doom, Street Fighter, Tekken, God of War, Asura's Wrath, Persona, Grand  Theft Auto, The Walking Dead, Final Fantasy, Disgaea, Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim, Nintendo in general, Microsoft in general, Sony in general.

 

I can't put Valve on that list because Half-Life, TF2, L4D, and Portal are popular for a 'reason' instead of just plain overpopular.


id say valve is a little overated portal was cool but its nothing spectacular, and left 4 dead is just meh

 

[URL=http://s854.photobucket.com/user/princedastankeizon/media/princeofpersiasig_zpsebd22603.png.html][IMG]http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/princedastankeizon/princeofpersiasig_zpsebd22603.png[/IMG][/URL]
prince of Persia moveset: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Prince-of-Persia-in-all-stars/m-p/38273897#M125640
Message 22 of 71 (175 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/08/2012
Offline
2516 posts
 

Re: Your Most Overated game or series?

Oct 23, 2012

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

MarrowOchi wrote:

Halo, Call of Duty, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Gears of War, Resistence, Killzone, Doom, Street Fighter, Tekken, God of War, Asura's Wrath, Persona, Grand  Theft Auto, The Walking Dead, Final Fantasy, Disgaea, Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim, Nintendo in general, Microsoft in general, Sony in general.

 

I can't put Valve on that list because Half-Life, TF2, L4D, and Portal are popular for a 'reason' instead of just plain overpopular.


Valve is overrated also the fact they don't use cutscenes makes the story in their games extremely hard to follow.


Incorrect. The mere fact they don't use cutscenes makes the story that much more complex. You see it through 'your' eyes instead of simply through Gordon Freeman's. The whole thing would have fallen flat if they cut to Gordon looking angry. There's no better motivation for a player, than to actually feel like you're doing something, and that's why Half-Life is so loved to this day.

Message 23 of 71 (173 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 08/09/2012
Offline
355 posts
 

Re: Your Most Overated game or series?

Oct 23, 2012
Half life was fun but overrated.
Message 24 of 71 (160 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 08/09/2012
Offline
355 posts
 

Re: Your Most Overated game or series?

Oct 23, 2012
Sony in general? More like Nintendo in general.
Message 25 of 71 (154 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/08/2012
Offline
2516 posts
 

Re: Your Most Overated game or series?

Oct 23, 2012

sawao_yama wrote:
Sony in general? More like Nintendo in general.

I did say all three.

Message 26 of 71 (144 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/25/2011
Offline
5310 posts
 

Re: Your Most Overated game or series?

Oct 23, 2012

MarrowOchi wrote:

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

MarrowOchi wrote:

Halo, Call of Duty, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Gears of War, Resistence, Killzone, Doom, Street Fighter, Tekken, God of War, Asura's Wrath, Persona, Grand  Theft Auto, The Walking Dead, Final Fantasy, Disgaea, Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim, Nintendo in general, Microsoft in general, Sony in general.

 

I can't put Valve on that list because Half-Life, TF2, L4D, and Portal are popular for a 'reason' instead of just plain overpopular.


Valve is overrated also the fact they don't use cutscenes makes the story in their games extremely hard to follow.


Incorrect. The mere fact they don't use cutscenes makes the story that much more complex. You see it through 'your' eyes instead of simply through Gordon Freeman's. The whole thing would have fallen flat if they cut to Gordon looking angry. There's no better motivation for a player, than to actually feel like you're doing something, and that's why Half-Life is so loved to this day.


When I play Half-Life, I just want to run around and kill things.  The simple idea of no cutscenes means I don't care about the characters and neither do I care about the storyline.  It's too hard to follow or care about because there is no cutscenes.  Take Uncharted for example, lots of amazing cutscenes and amazing gameplay.  It's better than Half-Life by leaps and bounds.

Message 27 of 71 (140 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/25/2011
Offline
5310 posts
 

Re: Your Most Overated game or series?

Oct 23, 2012

MarrowOchi wrote:

sawao_yama wrote:
Sony in general? More like Nintendo in general.

I did say all three.


Sony is actually the most underrated of this generation.

Message 28 of 71 (139 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 08/09/2012
Offline
355 posts
 

Re: Your Most Overated game or series?

Oct 23, 2012
Anyways, didn't know the big 3 were series? Can't wait to play sony2, nintendo2, and screw microsoft2. I don't want it to come out. I was disappointed with Microsoft original Smiley Tongue.
Message 29 of 71 (131 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 01/09/2010
Offline
489 posts
 

Re: Your Most Overated game or series?

Oct 23, 2012

First off, cutscenes do not make a game weaker and cutscenes do not make a game stronger. Same goes for lack of cutscenes.

 

Now...

 

The Half-Life series is fun. It created a pretty fantastic world and everything and a lot of the gameplay mechanics were revolutionary for their time. 

 

And even though you're in such a spectucular world you play as one of the most boring characters ever, Gordon Freeman. The reason is his muteness; and the reasoning behind his muteness is so the player can be more immersed. But it de-immerses me because you run into hundreds of followers, of high leaders, of close friends who talk to you but don't let you say a word. You're not Gordon Freeman, you're not even a character; you're an avatar killing machine. 

 

The story suffers heavily because of this. This is not to say a lot of othe FPSs don't suffer from this; because they do. But for always being praised for its narrative, it is way too overrated. 

Message 30 of 71 (128 Views)