Jan 12 2013
By: GaleDaWindMasta Wastelander 587 posts

You shouldn't be able to grab people out of a roll.

[ Edited ]
14 replies 245 views Edited Jan 12, 2013

That's what I believe at least. Not only does it not make sense from a logical standpoint, but it also breaks the game a bit. Even when I do it to other people, I don't think it's right. I know people will say that it will prevent people who "abuse" dodge, but as a person who does so, himself (it's a bad habit carried over from Brawl that I need to fix), I can tell you that a person who dodges all day can be easily punished.

Here's a worst case scenario that happened to me the other day. In a stock match, it was left to a Sir Daniel and I with 1 stock each. He managed to build up to his Level 2 and used it. As I moved away and dodged from the pixie (that's what they're called, right?), Sir Dan grabbed my out of my dodge and I got killed. I felt really cheated out of a potential win, there.

What do you all think?

Message 1 of 15 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
350 posts

Re: You shouldn't be able to grab people out of a roll.

Jan 12, 2013

i felt like that at first i even thought it was lag... but after playing awhile and my friends main Raiden over and over i actually got better and to counter a grab is a grab... better to grab anytime then to actually roll... well atleast against raiden

Jozai custom made signature photo jozaigoodcolesignature_zps1ca25a9d.gif
Message 2 of 15 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
239 posts

Jan 12, 2013

I believe that it should stay.

It would essentially be a get out of jail free card on some characters that have better dodges and it would mess with the tech chasing that some characters have going for them if people couldn't be grabbed out of rolls. Also, it sounds like that situation you described could have been avoided by using an air dodge.

Message 3 of 15 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Jan 12, 2013

I feel that it is ok to grab people out of their roll. In super smash bros., you have a bubble limiting the time you can block, but in allstars you don't. That being said, people who hold the block button the whole time (like many evil coles I have played against) should be penalized by getting grabbed out of their roll. 

Message 4 of 15 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2440 posts

Jan 12, 2013

It's not lag, it happens in offline matches too. It's also possible to get hit or killed during a roll.

Message 5 of 15 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
637 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Rolling should be invulnerability until the roll is over... like Smash. Makes absolutely no sense why you can still get hit... it's the same as teching in the air.

Photobucket
999 With Sir Dan! Seasons with Belt--Green: 4 Red: 2 Purple: 2 Brown: 1
Message 6 of 15 (201 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1622 posts

Jan 12, 2013
Yeah I don't like it and think it needs to go it defeats the point of the supposed "invincibility" you have during a roll. It's the only reason people grab me and I feel like its BS that you can't even use the main defense tactic and its so little risk for them to grab you. I feel grabbing as a whole is just to easy to do in this game. I don't abuse rolling but it's garbage you can be grabbed out of it.
Message 7 of 15 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Jan 12, 2013

This isnt smash and doesnt need to be Smash. Getting grabbed out of a roll is great. With people have does insane little recovery frames, grabbing them out of their roll is great.The only way a person can get hit is by the grab. Keeps people from tryingto abuse the hell out of it.

Message 8 of 15 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
726 posts

Jan 12, 2013

gmoney0505 wrote:

This isnt smash and doesnt need to be Smash. Getting grabbed out of a roll is great. With people have does insane little recovery frames, grabbing them out of their roll is great.The only way a person can get hit is by the grab. Keeps people from tryingto abuse the hell out of it.

I agree that this is another thing that makes this game different from smash (Where 1v1 with most character is taking turns dodge rolling, attacking, missing, and rolling again), but I dunno if it's better this way. It always frustrates me to get grabbed out of a roll . . . I dunno, that might be my only reason I don't like it XD

1/6/2013 - Defeated the #1 player in the World in a Ranked Match.

Currently maining: Parappa

Future mains: Zeus, Issac
Message 9 of 15 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
587 posts

Jan 12, 2013

gmoney0505 wrote:

No one is trying to make this like Smash. -_-

Where's the logic that not being able to grab people out of a roll would automatically make this game more like Smash?

Why even bother keeping Smash in your mind when talking about this game? I usually don't. I'm playing Battle Royale. I raise points I think would make this game better. Not make it like Smash. 

Also, I already pointed out that people who abuse rolling are easy to punish. Or did you skip that?

Message 10 of 15 (130 Views)
0 Likes