Splicer
44 posts

Re: You know what this game needs?

Jul 17, 2012

oh... well i dont really care what he thinks of me. i just thought it would be a cool idea. i know its a stretch because huey isnt a video game character, but people have been asking for kevin butler too so i figured it couldnt have been that bad of an idea. atleast it woud attract an older audience and there probably wouldnt be much complaints.

*sigh* i felt so confidnet too -_- 

Message 61 of 72 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2671 posts

Jul 17, 2012

I cannot think of a single role lead by an african american. Well besides Emmet Graves being the most recent one. All the other characters that come to mind are supporting characters or not even close to as important as the main.

Diversity is key, but not when forced.

New site for PSABR -> http://pastadium.forumotion.com/forum
--------

"Exit the stage. Your act is over." - Vergil

"Come on, come on, come on, come on, come on! Now die!" - Albedo
Message 62 of 72 (90 Views)
Survivor
2590 posts

Jul 17, 2012

COLDFIRE0007 wrote:

oh... well i dont really care what he thinks of me. i just thought it would be a cool idea. i know its a stretch because huey isnt a video game character, but people have been asking for kevin butler too so i figured it couldnt have been that bad of an idea. atleast it woud attract an older audience and there probably wouldnt be much complaints.

*sigh* i felt so confidnet too -_- 

Wow you actually sound serious, listen I like the Boondocks and all, I also like Batman but I don't want them in the game because they aren't original video game characters and there are other third party support characters that are worth getting in the game. 

http://www.playstationallstarsarena.com/forums/index.php
Message 63 of 72 (81 Views)
Shinra Executive
42061 posts

Jul 17, 2012

Chaosdreams wrote:

I cannot think of a single role lead by an african american. Well besides Emmet Graves being the most recent one. All the other characters that come to mind are supporting characters or not even close to as important as the main.

Aveline in Assassin's Creed III: Liberation on Vita is mixed (African, French) but most people would probably debate the 'lead' role cause she's on the handheld and not in the main game so she's a 'supporting lead' to the main game/series =\

In the context of this topic, yeah, it'd look like it's being forced but from a development/conception stance when making a franchise or lead for a new installment, is it really forced to think outside of the 'white male' approach?  When playing a shooter, the black guy is always a squad mate or your CO but never you.  Same for the latino character.  He's usually a rowdy squad mate.

But on this particular topic, you can't really include a diverse roster as far as race is concerned without forcing it as mentioned because most are regulated to supporting roles and you'd be passing up leads just to diversify.  However for wanting more female characters, that's not actually a problem of being 'forced', as there are a decent amount of good/interesting female leads to use (unless they themselves are being bumped for other franchises that are more 'popular' and have male leads).

Eh, this topic could get ugly I feel so may need to ease up off the gas on the matter or move it elsewhere (Lounge maybe).

Message 64 of 72 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2671 posts

Jul 17, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

Chaosdreams wrote:

Aveline in Assassin's Creed III: Liberation on Vita is mixed (African, French) but most people would probably debate the 'lead' role cause she's on the handheld and not in the main game so she's a 'supporting lead' to the main game/series =\

In the context of this topic, yeah, it'd look like it's being forced but from a development/conception stance when making a franchise or lead for a new installment, is it really forced to think outside of the 'white male' approach?  When playing a shooter, the black guy is always a squad mate or your CO but never you.  Same for the latino character.  He's usually a rowdy squad mate.

But on this particular topic, you can't really include a diverse roster as far as race is concerned without forcing it as mentioned because most are regulated to supporting roles and you'd be passing up leads just to diversify.  However for wanting more female characters, that's not actually a problem of being 'forced', as there are a decent amount of good/interesting female leads to use (unless they themselves are being bumped for other franchises that are more 'popular' and have male leads).

Eh, this topic could get ugly I feel so may need to ease up off the gas on the matter or move it elsewhere (Lounge maybe).

Yep I agree. I meant diversity in regards to male and females. When it comes down to race however it's pretty much, look at the main character, pick him. The only reason I find the female aspect different is because I don't pay attention to race but I do notice when the roster has under 4 females. Or at this point, Fat Princess and a bunch of males wondering if that's the best the opposite sex has to offer in regards to combat.

This will all end up coming down to what IP's are selected and if the main is chosen or the antagonist for said game. And maybe, but a slim chance that a secondary will be chosen instead of a main. I can only see this applying in regards to jrpg's however since they have more focus on multiple characters. Adventure games generally have that one main guy, and some cool side characters, a bad guy or two and then that's about it.

--------

Message 65 of 72 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
420 posts

Jul 17, 2012

Race isn't important, I believe ppl trying to reinforce this in the game are just trolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I was faithful to Radec from the beginning!! How many others can say the same?!"
Message 66 of 72 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
44 posts

Jul 17, 2012

ya, i understand what you mean. its a video game made for video game characters. i just thought it was a good idea because he is like "actually" black. most games or tv shows with animated african americans are basically white characters models black, and maybe with some thrown in african american sterotypical slang. it always feels so forced because their concept is basically from the idea of "lets have a black guy. theyre arnt too many out there and it will make them stand out" (kinda like this forus topic). even in art college, i learned that most artist that will draw black people (more so in anime) have caucasian facial features with just darker skin. i have always been drawn to huey because he was such an "honest" black character. there didnt have to be any sterotypes with him, he was just himself. thats why i wanted him ^^; 

Message 67 of 72 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2590 posts

Jul 17, 2012

COLDFIRE0007 wrote:

ya, i understand what you mean. its a video game made for video game characters. i just thought it was a good idea because he is like "actually" black. most games or tv shows with animated african americans are basically white characters models black, and maybe with some thrown in african american sterotypical slang. it always feels so forced because their concept is basically from the idea of "lets have a black guy. theyre arnt too many out there and it will make them stand out" (kinda like this forus topic). even in art college, i learned that most artist that will draw black people (more so in anime) have caucasian facial features with just darker skin. i have always been drawn to huey because he was such an "honest" black character. there didnt have to be any sterotypes with him, he was just himself. thats why i wanted him ^^; 

Can't argue with this logic, I just don't think they should force a black character in this game. 

http://www.playstationallstarsarena.com/forums/index.php
Message 68 of 72 (54 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
832 posts

Jul 17, 2012

It's going to be Emmett Graves. Starhawk representative and although he would be another gun character, he can easily differentiate himself with all the buildings and vehicles (specially the hawks).

Message 69 of 72 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2671 posts

Jul 17, 2012

I think the problem isn't adding a character from a different race. It's that the library of characters with this criteria are overshadowed or pale in comparison to the main characters who are generally white males. It's the industry. It'll change in time I suppose. It is with comic books anyways from the sounds of it (don't read them, just what I've heard lately.)

If there was a few main characters that had great games who were from a different race, then sure they'd be added. However so far the suggestions are either characters who aren't nearly as important as the main protagonist from the IP. Or are simply just starting to make a name for themselves. Emmet Graves is sadly my only example.

I suppose it's all a matter of how the mind works when they create the game. I'm a writer (trying to publish one day if possible, I can dream!) and I often picture everyone being white. Now perhaps it's because I am indeed white, yet it's just how my mind is. And it's not like I'm sheltered and don't have friends of all ethnic backgrounds.

So this mentality could easily apply to anyone who's designing or writing for a game. And if they force it just so it's different well that's not much better.

--------

Message 70 of 72 (52 Views)