Jun 20 2012
By: IceColdKilla44 Gaming Beast 1776 posts

Would anyone be interested in a Collector's Edition or PS3/Vita Bundle?

29 replies 379 views Edited Jun 20, 2012

Does anyone else think that a collector's edition would make a lot of sense for this game? I personally would like to see one; this game's being deemed as a "celebration of over 15 years of Playstation," and that theme opens an opportunity for a very awesome collector's edition for longtime Playstation fans (or people who joined the Playstation family late and want to know more about it). Here are a couple ideas I had in mind for a Collector's Edition for this game:

1) Full Games for featured franchises from PS1, PS2, and PS3:

If this game really is a "celebration of Playstation," this collector's edition could include certain full games from the PS1, PS2, and PS3 era. This game's going to have TONS of characters, so I obvioiusly don't mean a game from every franchise in this game. From the character roster revealed right now, the collector's edition could include Parappa the Rappa as a PSOne Classic, the First Sly Cooper, and Fat Princess, all redeemable on PSN. Obviously once we know about more characters, their corresponding games could be considered as well (for example, if Lara Croft makes it into the game, the original Tomb Raider could be included). Think about it; there are tons of people buying this who might be familiar with Nathan Drake, but might not know who Parappa the Rappa is. This collector's edition would introduce these characters to these specific people, and people like me who are very familiar with all Playstation characters will be able to revisit these awesome classics! I have no idea how big the roster will be, but I think around 5 or 6 of these full games would be fair.

2) A Behind the scenes Documentary about the developers and their "quest" to make this game and to license all of these characters for it.

It would be cool to see the makers of Playstation's biggest franchises all in the same documentary, talking briefly about the creations of those characters and how they worked with SuperBot to make their characters come alive in Battle Royale. From the characters revealed right now, David Jaffe could talk about Kratos and Sweet Tooth, and Amy Hennig from Naughty Dog could talk about Drake's inclusion. Once we know about the other characters included, this documentary could potentially become very interesting (for example, if Snake makes it into the game, Hideo Kojima could be featured).

3) A "Mini-strategy guide" from the Developers at SuperBot (or the full strategy guide could be included)

I was thinking more along the lines of the Street Fighter 4 Collector's Edition, which came with a little strategy guide from the developers giving the players certain tips and strategies. The same could apply to this book; it could provide players with a short bio about certain featured characters, maybe with some artwork, and some notes from the developers about the best ways to use these characters. Or alternatively this collector's edition could just throw in the game's full strategy guide that will release with the game. This is a fighting game, so the strategy guide could be very useful!

4) Steelbook

This one's obvious. Steelbook could have some really nice artwork showcasing some of Playstation's biggest icons, both past and present. Steelbooks are always a plus!

5) Some type of exclusive "DLC Pass"

I realize that many gamers hate when a portion of the game is cut out and offered as exclusive DLC. So I think a solution to this could be something similar to God of War Ascension's upcoming Collector's Edition or Uncharted 3's Fortune Hunter's Club. The Collector's Edition will include a "DLC Pass" which will give buyers of the Collector's Edition all future DLC for the game (characters, stages, modes, etc.) for FREE. Not only would this not cheat regular buyers of the game (remember, it's FUTURE DLC, not day one dlc), but it would also give Playstation fans a HUGE incentive to get the collector's edition. In addition, a couple of character skins could be exclusive to the collector's edition.

6) Soundtrack, featuring the Best from All franchises in the game

I don't mean a ridiculous 11 disc soundtrack like the upcoming Street Fighter special edition; but perhaps a disc featuring the most iconic soundtracks from the franchises making an appearance in the game.

Those are just a few of the ideas I could come up with right now, but I think a collector's edition for a game like this makes tons of sense. This game is targeted every hardcore Playstation fan, and I think a collector's edition could not only appeal a lot to them, but also to mild Playstation fans and maybe even newcomers! None of Sony's other games this fall seems like they'll be getting a Collector's edition, and it makes the most sense for this game to have one. Consider it please, Sony!

What are some of your ideas on this?

UPDATE:

Looks like there are quite a few people (myself included) who will be looking to pick up both the PS3 and Vita versions. From all the interviews I've read/watched, cross play is something Sony really wants to advertise with this game (and rightly so; it sounds like it's being done VERY well). To give us consumers a great value, perhaps Sony could make a "PS All Stars Battle Royale Ultimate Bundle" which will include the PS3 version, the Vita version, and a few of the extras I listed above (if I had to choose, I'd say DLC pass, Behind the scenes documentary, and Soundtrack). All for a price under $100.

From an interview with one of Sony's executives on GT (link below), it's likely that Sony is preparing some kind of value bundle. But to really draw customers in, they should attach some exclusive extras that are only available via this bundle. It would definitely make some consumers really consider this bundle even if they initially weren't that interested in the Vita version (because they'd mostly be going for the extras).

Personally, I'd pre-order something like this the moment it was announced. I get both versions of the game plus a few exclusive extras. Basically, the best PS All Stars experience possible, all at a great price. How about you guys?

Here's the link to that interview, btw. Start at 1:20. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-sony/731533

Message 29 of 30 (379 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Re: Would anyone be interested in a collector's edition?

Jun 11, 2012

This is all generic Collector's edition stuff. I typically don't buy collector's editions simply because they lack valuable content. Like GTA IV's collector's edition was good. A bag, a lockbox, artwork, and a keychain. I don't care about a stealcase and documentaries.

Although it would make sense to release a collector's edition for this game.

Message 1 of 30 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1776 posts

Jun 11, 2012

I was just skeptical about holding back characters as DLC because of all the hate Capcom has received for doing the same with Street Fighter. I feel like characters are so central to a fighting game's essence that leaving some of them only for buyers of the collector's edition seems a little unfair to all Playstation fans buying this game.

Message 2 of 30 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
561 posts

Jun 11, 2012

Oh god I would pre-order this in a heartbeat.

Especially if it had Parappa as a PSOne classic included.

Also a T-Shirt would be nice, as ThatDamnNarwhal stated.

I sell propane and propane accessories, I tell you h'what.
Message 3 of 30 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1969 posts

Jun 11, 2012

Collector's Edition? Hell yeah! What would I expect? I love your ideas, but I wanna add a little more to say to one.

• Exclusive DLC

I would definately want to see some exclusive DLC for the hardcore fans. The DLCs I'm thinking of would be things such as characters and skins for characters that would be impossible to get unless you get the collector's edition. Doing this would give your hardcore fans some serious bragging rights online to show off this character or a skin for certain characters. One great suggestion I can say now, Kevin Butler.

Other Possible Items

• T-shirt/Keychain/ect.

It can be anything that you can wear ranging from t-shirts, wristbands, keychains, ect. Something that a fan would have pride in wearing and a little free advertisement for the game it's self, but maybe that's asking for too much.

• Poster

I do want a poster to hang in my room because my GhostBusters poster is getting a little lonely. Anyone else? It could be a cool little neat thing to add to make the collector's edition look bigger and it's not as expensive to make. Although I don't expect a huge roll to be packaged with the game and folding it up just might ruin it.. But I would love a poster.

Message 4 of 30 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1969 posts

Jun 11, 2012

IceColdKilla44 wrote:

I was just skeptical about holding back characters as DLC because of all the hate Capcom has received for doing the same with Street Fighter. I feel like characters are so central to a fighting game's essence that leaving some of them only for buyers of the collector's edition seems a little unfair to all Playstation fans buying this game.

Maybe instead, a bunch of DLC characters come free in the collector's edition like they did in LBP but have exclusive skins/costumes that only come in the collectors edition.

Message 5 of 30 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1969 posts

Jun 11, 2012

IceColdKilla44 wrote:

ThatDamnNarwhal wrote:

Maybe instead, a bunch of DLC characters come free in the collector's edition like they did in LBP but have exclusive skins that only come in the collectors edition.

Photobucket

I think exclusive skins would be fine. That's basically what LBP's Collector's edition included; extra skins for sackboy. They weren't extra characters with entire move sets and unique abilties.

Early free access to DLC characters would be a slightly better since buyers of the regular edition would still have ways to access it. But again, it would still mean that there would be day 1 DLC, which lots of gamers hate.

WAIT! I got it. SuperBot could do something similar to the God of War Ascension Collector's edition or Uncharted 3's Fortune Hunter's Club. PS All Stars' Collector's Edition could include a "DLC Pass" which would give all future DLC (characters, stages, modes, etc.) to buyers of the collector's edition FOR FREE!

I think it would be great because 1) It would still give buyers of the Collector's edition the added value that they expect, and 2) Regular customers wouldn't feel cheated, because we're talking about FUTURE DLC, not current. I think that's fair (plus would give HUGE incentive to get the collector's edition)!

Well maybe it won't be day 1 DLCs, maybe it'll be held off for a while and only collector edition owners would be able to play as them until it is released, sorta like what NFS Hot Persuit did. The DLC pass sounds amazing but will it pay off for them in the end? I would understand more like if you got to choose any DLC for free but they give you a certain number you can get for free, like 10 free future DLCs but choose wisely which one you choose because something better can come in the future.

Message 6 of 30 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1776 posts

Jun 11, 2012

ThatDamnNarwhal wrote:

Maybe instead, a bunch of DLC characters come free in the collector's edition like they did in LBP but have exclusive skins that only come in the collectors edition.

Photobucket

I think exclusive skins would be fine. That's basically what LBP's Collector's edition included; extra skins for sackboy. They weren't extra characters with entire move sets and unique abilties.

To build off of your idea, I think SuperBot could do something similar to the God of War Ascension Collector's edition or Uncharted 3's Fortune Hunter's Club. PS All Stars' Collector's Edition could include a "DLC Pass" which would give all future DLC (characters, stages, modes, etc.) to buyers of the collector's edition FOR FREE!

I think it would be great because 1) It would still give buyers of the Collector's edition the added value that they expect, and 2) Regular customers wouldn't feel cheated, because we're talking about FUTURE DLC, not current. I think that's fair (plus would give HUGE incentive to get the collector's edition)!

Message 7 of 30 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1776 posts

Jun 11, 2012

I guess whether or not the DLC Pass would pay off for them would depend on the price of this collector's edition. If it included the 6 things I mentioned above plus a T-shirt or poster, I can't really see it being under $100. Maybe $120.

Message 8 of 30 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1969 posts

Jun 11, 2012

IceColdKilla44 wrote:

I guess whether or not the DLC Pass would pay off for them would depend on the price of this collector's edition. If it included the 6 things I mentioned above plus a T-shirt or poster, I can't really see it being under $100. Maybe $120.

Maybe they'll have different levels of Collector's Editions like DeadRising and Call of Duty did? One that has everything will be the highest and obviously more expensive.

Message 9 of 30 (379 Views)
0 Likes