Reply
Gaming Beast
Registered: 09/18/2012
Offline
2105 posts
 

Re: Why this game can never be balanced for all modes

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

Levi_Skardsen wrote:

Tekn0tize wrote:
This was exactly the kind of "argument" I was mentioning....

SIgh. Why do I bother.

Actually, no it isn't. My response wasn't cynical or sarcastic in any way. I'm saying that Radec has more options available than people tend to realise and that there's ways to deal with characters like Raiden who can close the gap almost instantly.

 

I didn't disagree with your post in general, just the example you used.


That still doesn't make up for the fact that Radec is simply a long ranged character. Even the developers mention this. He _DOES_ have tools up close, everybody does but some better than others. I'm not denying it. That's  the whole point Smiley Happy

 

Especially in 1v1 where there are no distractions, closing the space on Radec is really easy. And once you do, HE has to deal with it and put in a great amount of extra effort and skill just to get out of that situation simply because of the fact that he is designed to be a medium to long range character. I know he has his forward square attack, that again is simply several noticeable frames slower than most combo heavy character's primary attacks.

 

This is not saying he is underpowered or needs a buff. But people need to realize that not every character is graet in every situation. The characters DO have specialities, again this doesn't mean they totally SUCK in other areas.

 

Let's face it, in a 1v1 tournament how many players are going to choose and win with Radec against other skilled Combo characters like Raiden (if the game currently stays the way it is).

 

 

------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 11 of 20 (93 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 10/24/2012
Offline
1147 posts
 

Re: Why this game can never be balanced for all modes

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

Tekn0tize wrote:

Levi_Skardsen wrote:

Tekn0tize wrote:
This was exactly the kind of "argument" I was mentioning....

SIgh. Why do I bother.

Actually, no it isn't. My response wasn't cynical or sarcastic in any way. I'm saying that Radec has more options available than people tend to realise and that there's ways to deal with characters like Raiden who can close the gap almost instantly.

 

I didn't disagree with your post in general, just the example you used.


That still doesn't make up for the fact that Radec is simply a long ranged character. Even the developers mention this. He _DOES_ have tools up close, everybody does but some better than others. I'm not denying it. That's  the whole point Smiley Happy

 

Especially in 1v1 where there are no distractions, closing the space on Radec is really easy. And once you do, HE has to deal with it and put in a great amount of extra effort and skill just to get out of that situation simply because of the fact that he is designed to be a medium to long range character. I know he has his forward square attack, that again is simply several noticeable frames slower than most combo heavy character's primary attacks.

 

This is not saying he is underpowered or needs a buff. But people need to realize that not every character is graet in every situation. The characters DO have specialities, again this doesn't mean they totally SUCK in other areas.

 

Let's face it, in a 1v1 tournament how many players are going to choose and win with Radec against other skilled Combo characters like Raiden (if the game currently stays the way it is).

 

 


My point about Radec is he has some tricks up his sleeve that not everyone is aware of. Everyone seems to think your only chance is forward square once someone gets too close. There's ways of using the stage environments to your advantage, but I'll leave it up to you to find them.

 

Yes there are characters specialised for certain game types and play styles but it's not unbalanced to the point where it's impossible to win when they're out of their element. I've beaten a few Dante's, Raiden's and Kratos' in 1v1's with Radec, and no they weren't all button mashers.

 

At the same time, Heihachi is mostly geared towards 1v1, but I rarely lose with him now in any situation. I had some problems to start out with, I even made a thread about it, but I worked on my weaknesses and overcame those problems.

 

Edit: Just to add, I hope you understand that just because I have an opposing view that it isn't to be taken as some kind of personal attack or whatever. People on these forums are too sensitive.

Message 12 of 20 (86 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 07/13/2012
Offline
370 posts
 

Re: Why this game can never be balanced for all modes

Nov 27, 2012
I actually agree to this. I think it's balanced somewhat but I also think certain characters do better on different modes. Nariko for example has arguably the best close up combat but in a 1v1 setting her only kill option is lvl 3. Jak and Dax have an ap gain more suited to a longer stock match than the time limited matches
Message 13 of 20 (81 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 09/18/2012
Offline
2105 posts
 

Re: Why this game can never be balanced for all modes

Nov 27, 2012

Levi_Skardsen wrote:

Tekn0tize wrote:

Levi_Skardsen wrote:

Tekn0tize wrote:
This was exactly the kind of "argument" I was mentioning....

SIgh. Why do I bother.

Actually, no it isn't. My response wasn't cynical or sarcastic in any way. I'm saying that Radec has more options available than people tend to realise and that there's ways to deal with characters like Raiden who can close the gap almost instantly.

 

I didn't disagree with your post in general, just the example you used.


That still doesn't make up for the fact that Radec is simply a long ranged character. Even the developers mention this. He _DOES_ have tools up close, everybody does but some better than others. I'm not denying it. That's  the whole point Smiley Happy

 

Especially in 1v1 where there are no distractions, closing the space on Radec is really easy. And once you do, HE has to deal with it and put in a great amount of extra effort and skill just to get out of that situation simply because of the fact that he is designed to be a medium to long range character. I know he has his forward square attack, that again is simply several noticeable frames slower than most combo heavy character's primary attacks.

 

This is not saying he is underpowered or needs a buff. But people need to realize that not every character is graet in every situation. The characters DO have specialities, again this doesn't mean they totally SUCK in other areas.

 

Let's face it, in a 1v1 tournament how many players are going to choose and win with Radec against other skilled Combo characters like Raiden (if the game currently stays the way it is).

 

 


My point about Radec is he has some tricks up his sleeve that not everyone is aware of. Everyone seems to think your only chance is forward square once someone gets too close. There's ways of using the stage environments to your advantage, but I'll leave it up to you to find them.

 

Yes there are characters specialised for certain game types and play styles but it's not unbalanced to the point where it's impossible to win when they're out of their element. I've beaten a few Dante's, Raiden's and Kratos' in 1v1's with Radec, and no they weren't all button mashers.

 

At the same time, Heihachi is mostly geared towards 1v1, but I rarely lose with him now in any situation. I had some problems to start out with, I even made a thread about it, but I worked on my weaknesses and overcame those problems.

 

Edit: Just to add, I hope you understand that just because I have an opposing view that it isn't to be taken as some kind of personal attack or whatever. People on these forums are too sensitive.


None taken.

 

 I too have beaten Dante's and Raiden in 1v1's (kratos is a bit easier), but that doesn't really change the fact that Radec's strength is medium and long range. You go on a practise stage with no map interference, it is all the more harder for Radec to out do an equally skilled Combo character. Just because it can be pulled off doesn't make Radec a viable choice in high caliber 1v1s. No matter what his close up attacks are slower. This is programmed into the game, and no matter how much skill you have the game is putting you at a slight disadvantage.

 

And this is my entire point, certain characters will always be more viable for certain game modes than others. Not to the point where you can never win with them, but your chances of winning with them are lower than if you picked a more suitable character for the game mode.

 

By definition, IMHO, the characters that are broken are the ones that absolutely EXCEL in both 1v1 and FFA. That's just my view, I feel that if some characters are specialists in long range, some are great up-close, the others should be 50-50 in close and long range but not 100-100 in both. I hope that I explained that right..

 

------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 14 of 20 (71 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 06/22/2008
Offline
13 posts
 

Re: Why this game can never be balanced for all modes

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

Of course it'll never be perfectly balanced, but it is balanced pretty well while keeping the characters' different playstyles. 

 

Sure, different characters do better in different match types, but I feel that if someone is truly skilled with a character, they'll find a way to win regardless of their opponent.

 

Even though Radec is a long-range character, nearly all of his tools are there to get players away from him. When using all of them effectively, he can be a real challenge from afar and up close.

Message 15 of 20 (63 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 05/26/2009
Offline
547 posts
 

Re: Why this game can never be balanced for all modes

Nov 27, 2012
I wish people would stop talking like Radec is a threat up close. He's not period. His long start up times combined with low priority kill that theory. He can actually bee hit or grabbed before the 2nd hit of his forward square move. Radec players all do the same thing when someone get close, they try to get away. I'm not saying that's a bad thing it's just the way it is. There are no secret tricks or environmental elements that assist him during close combat. Hell I'll go as far as saying his medium game sucks too. All melee characters can close the gap pretty quickly. With the non existent recovery time for Raiden and Kratos after the run a combo or the fact they can turn around mid combo blocking or rolling doesn't help. You say the game can't be balanced, I say reduce three amount of AP certain characters get I don't believe I even need to say who they are, but they can spam there level 1s some can also get lvl 3 twice in the same match.
Message 16 of 20 (55 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 09/18/2012
Offline
2105 posts
 

Re: Why this game can never be balanced for all modes

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

He has other moves like his Stealth Grenade... but come on.. let's not kid ourselves as though Radec is really good up-close. He just is not. He is not meant to be great, but he's not broken to the point of not being usable in 1v1 at all.

 

You cannot put Scooby Doo in the water and claim he's as good as a shark in swimming. Scooby may swim well but he's no shark. In the mean time, Snoopy and Goofy point and laugh at Scooby Doo the noob. Goofy says he's faster than a sailfish in water... poor scooby doo.

 

 

------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 17 of 20 (49 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 10/24/2012
Offline
1147 posts
 

Re: Why this game can never be balanced for all modes

Nov 27, 2012

Tekn0tize wrote:

He has other moves like his Stealth Grenade... but come on.. let's not kid ourselves as though Radec is really good up-close. He just is not. He is not meant to be great, but he's not broken to the point of not being usable in 1v1 at all.

 

You cannot put Scooby Doo in the water and claim he's as good as a shark in swimming. Scooby may swim well but he's no shark. In the mean time, Snoopy and Goofy point and laugh at Scooby Doo the noob. Goofy says he's faster than a sailfish in water... poor scooby doo.

 

 


No one said he's a beast up close but he can still hold his own when he needs to.

Message 18 of 20 (45 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 05/26/2009
Offline
547 posts
 

Re: Why this game can never be balanced for all modes

Nov 27, 2012
Whatever, and I can "Hold my own" in a foot race against Usain Bolt.
Message 19 of 20 (42 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 10/24/2012
Offline
1147 posts
 

Re: Why this game can never be balanced for all modes

Nov 27, 2012

Neptunes78 wrote:
Whatever, and I can "Hold my own" in a foot race against Usain Bolt.

Message 20 of 20 (38 Views)
Reply
0 Likes