Nov 27 2012
By: Tekn0tize Gaming Beast 2105 posts

Why this game can never be balanced for all modes

[ Edited ]
19 replies 204 views Edited Nov 27, 2012

I was thinking about this a bit. Every fighting game has its tier lists with its better characters than worse, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and so on. No matter what devs do there will always be people complaining about Op characters.

But those games are actually much easier to balance because they are not trying to balance 1v1, 2v2 as well as FFA. This game on the other hand needs to be balanced for both FFA  and 1v1 (I see 2v2 as not terribly different from 1v1).

Many people complain that certain characters are OP, certain characters are crap etc., and others saying they are just fine, etc. In almost all of these discussions one party complains from an FFA standpoint while the others argue from a 1v1 standpoint.

Take the character Radec for example. If you make his 1v1 melee attacks faster while keeping his existing stuff like Sniper and Bounce grenades and Shock grenade for space control, you will create a total monster to deal with in all modes. On the other hand if you leave him as he is, any skilled Raiden/Parappa/Dante will destroy Radec in a pure 1v1 match. Sure you can say "use block! use dodge roll etc." that's all fine and dandy, but  that's not going to really help you out-do the combo centric characters. Their attacks all come out faster and there is no way around it.

They can close the gap really quick with evade+roll and/or use map obstacles to work their way in pretty quickly (esp. Raiden with his air move), and once they are near Radec's melee attacks all have a much slower frame rate which means once one of these Combo characters get into Radec's face he's in trouble, which is very likely in 1v1 because they have no other distractions. In FFA on the other hand, you can always run away behind another character who engages your chasing combo character and then deal with both of them.

Despite this the characters that are currently dominant in FFA are Sly, Parappa and Raiden - who are also really good in 1v1... and Sackboy (who I think in 1v1 is actually not that great).

The only way I can see is certain characters will excel in FFA and be crappy in 1v1 while others be good in 1v1 and not so great in FFA.  They cannot balance it such that all characters are equally viable and potent in all forms of the game. I'm NOT saying this is bad or wrong but some people expect all characters to be balanced in all modes of the game which won't happen IMO.

This may seem obvious to some of  you, but for others who are shouting for Buffs and Nerfs need to take this into account.

The only problem is characters that does both FFA and 1v1 incredibly well, characters like Dante/Raiden who have really great level 1 and level 2 supers for dealing in FFA as well as excel in 1v1.

What do you guys think?

Thinking aloud, thinking allowed!

------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 1 of 20 (204 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
928 posts

Re: Thinking aloud: Why this game can never be well balanced

Nov 27, 2012
the game is well balanced

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 20 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
253 posts

Re: Why this game can never be well balanced for all modes

Nov 27, 2012
I find it balanced. Mostly fun.
Message 3 of 20 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
364 posts

Re: Thinking aloud: Why this game can never be well balanced

Nov 27, 2012

im with augustus, but i think the only things that need work is peoples skill.

#ClownTroops
Message 4 of 20 (186 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Re: Why this game can never be balanced for all modes

Nov 27, 2012
lol @OP, we played together in a 2v2 last night, you were in my team. I was the delayed Drake player (trying to multitask). We still won though Smiley Happy
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 5 of 20 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Nov 27, 2012
I know Smiley Very Happy I remember that game, it was 2v1 though Smiley Happy The other team's 1 guy just fell in the water and never came up again LOL
------
Message 6 of 20 (145 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

Nov 27, 2012

It's a total myth that Radec can't handle himself up close. He has plenty of tricks to cope with melee focused rushing characters like Raiden. Sure, he doesn't flip around his enemies like an 8 year old high on lemonade, but his moves work well if you put the practice in.

Message 7 of 20 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Nov 27, 2012
This was exactly the kind of "argument" I was mentioning....

SIgh. Why do I bother.
------
Message 8 of 20 (135 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Tekn0tize wrote:
This was exactly the kind of "argument" I was mentioning....

SIgh. Why do I bother.

Actually, no it isn't. My response wasn't cynical or sarcastic in any way. I'm saying that Radec has more options available than people tend to realise and that there's ways to deal with characters like Raiden who can close the gap almost instantly.

I didn't disagree with your post in general, just the example you used.

Message 9 of 20 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Nov 27, 2012
It was pretty embarrassing - 2 vs 1 and I still spent most the time punching the air haha, really should focus when I run into members of the forum.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 10 of 20 (124 Views)
0 Likes