Dec 30 2013
By: CalDW19940 I Only Post Everything 1169 posts

Why spam is effective, kinda..

6 replies 227 views Edited Dec 30, 2012

Hey all, having had the game since launch and beta I think I may have finally found the true answer to why spamming seems so rampant in the game and why so many complain about it despite it being easy to stop.

It's not just from players not blocking or dodging, the main problem is LAG.

The netcode for this game is almost bipolar, one minute you'll get a match where feedback is precise and everything is perfect yet the next match you could be teleporting all around the screen, attacking the opponent yet still getting knocked back, dodging attacks or supers and yet still dying from them.

Spamming projectiles or certain high priority moves can normally just be dodged if played offline but online there really is no way to time anything like this and so you simply have to go by some psychic powers that let you predict the future of what might actually may be happening in the match to what is happening on your screen.

This seems a lot more prominant for European players against US players. I think before the Devs try and fix more balance issues with characters what they actually need to fix is the constant lag spikes and disconnections that occur regardless how well your own connection is.

Message 1 of 7 (227 Views)
Lombax Warrior
239 posts

Re: Why spam is effective, kinda..

Dec 30, 2012

Agreed.

The one thing I hate is when I get killed by a super that didn't even activate on my screen. One moment I'm hitting someone then the next minute I just *Poof* and disappear as if I was a magician.

Message 2 of 7 (208 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Dec 30, 2012
@simplegary Absolutely, this is the main problem for the game so far, playing offline against all the Kratos', Raidens and Drakes isn't bad at all since you can do a decent job of dodging and blocking things knowing taht if you die it was entirely your own fault.

Not online when you can clearly see yourself out of the range of something or dodging it yet end up dead anyway.
Message 3 of 7 (189 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Dec 30, 2012

I've been in this situation plenty of times. I normally get a good connection with decent or skilled players. When I do get in a match with spammers it's usually on a poor connection so anyone's advice of "Just block their attack" becomes near useless. This is more painfully difficult ifone is using a difficult character. For example I was in stow aways using Sir Daniel and everyone else was using Raiden, Kratos, and Evil Cole. I could not for the life of me build meter and ended up dying from everyone's supers, most of which did not activate on my screen.

Message 4 of 7 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

Dec 30, 2012
Spam is effective because it's the easiest way to hit level 3.
I hit level 3 with Kratos in less than two minutes by spamming square. I wasn't aiming for anyone but I always hit everyone.
*Never played Kratos before*
Message 5 of 7 (128 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Dec 31, 2012
@CatatonicAlex um no....spamming in a match against smart players will get you no where. Spamming against smart players who are lagging will make your spam more likely to work though because they can't time stopping it in the lag. That's my point...
Message 6 of 7 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
809 posts

Dec 31, 2012
Um....I've actually been in several matches with high ranking (belt) players and the majority of them just spammed throughout the entire match. If it wasn't effective they'd all still be blue belts.
Message 7 of 7 (81 Views)
0 Likes