Sep 29 2012
By: kupomogli Hekseville Citizen 345 posts

Why it could be a good thing there's only 20 characters

[ Edited ]
15 replies 211 views Edited Sep 29, 2012

I thought about it, and while I would like some third party characters that I actually like, having only 20 characters is a good thing. 

I don't know how many of you guys have played fighting games(/sarcasm,) but 20 characters is a lot for a brand new fighter.  When starting out, Street Fighter 2 had eight playable characters, Mortal Kombat had seven, Super Smash Bros had 12, Bloody Roar had eight, etc, etc, etc.

Each game progressively fixes balancing issues, adds more characters, and adds new maps and music.  Street Fighter 4 has 19 characters as an example.  If Playstation All Stars was to do good enough to warrant a sequel, then I wouldn't want every first party character to make the list.  Save first party characters like Wanderer and Gabe Logan for the sequel, and maybe we'll actually get third party characters we really want to see in the game as well. 

So really, 20 characters is a good sized line up, with characters that we'll get better with the more we play the game.  When the next Playstation All Stars is released, we'll have more characters to use, fixes from old characters, etc.

I really do hate the fact that SuperBot and Sony gave us false hope that third party characters that we're fans of would be in the game, so they can go to hell for that(not really, but you can tell I'm pi**ed off about it,) but this game is going to be good.  "We'll take ideas and include fan favorite characters in the game."  Fu**ing liars.

Message 1 of 16 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1266 posts

Re: Why it could be a good thing there's only 20 characters

Sep 29, 2012
I was kind of thinking. Those games started out in the 80's and 90's.
Memory was probably the reason why there were less fighters and a Blu-ray disc has a whole universe worth of memory. Plus there is an awful lot of Playstation games for more than 20 characters.
 photo Vigor_murder_of_crows_zps5759709e.gif
Message 2 of 16 (196 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 29, 2012

^Really.  So that's why Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 had 24 characters? 

It's why I referenced Street Fighter 4 and it having only 19 characters.  Blazblue is a new fighter released this generation and the first revision only has 12 characters.  The newest revision of Blazblue only has 21 characters(there have been four console revisions including the original.)  The most recent Virtua Fighter has 19 characters.  The most recent Dead or Alive has 22 characters.

So again.  Assuming that you have played a decent amount of fighters, you can agree that 20 fighters for the first game in the series is a good number.  Trying to argue with that makes you look like an idiot.  Kind of like Mr Loc Dog here.

Message 3 of 16 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Sep 29, 2012

blazblue or whatever from this gen only had 12 if im not mistaken, and look how HUGE that is now

http://xat.com/the_brotherhood_of_gaming

Message 4 of 16 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Sep 29, 2012

kupomogli wrote:

^Really.  So that's why Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 had 24 characters? 

It's why I referenced Street Fighter 4 and it having only 19 characters.  Blazblue is a new fighter released this generation and the first revision only has 12 characters.  The newest revision of Blazblue only has 21 characters(there have been four console revisions including the original.)  The most recent Virtua Fighter has 19 characters.  The most recent Dead or Alive has 22 characters.

So again.  Assuming that you have played a decent amount of fighters, you can agree that 20 fighters for the first game in the series is a good number.  Trying to argue with that makes you look like an idiot.  Kind of like Mr Loc Dog here.

haha **bleep** beat me to itSmiley Tongue

Message 5 of 16 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Sep 29, 2012
Peoples arguments of other games having more characters are invalid. The only thing they can come up with are sequels and the creators already had a base from the original to work with. This is the first All-Stars game and there is no base to work with. The game is being made entirely from scratch.
Message 6 of 16 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
788 posts

Sep 29, 2012

dude, 20 characters in the first game is fine...for the 90's...

now, 2012 a bluray disk, with 20 characters?, doesnt look weird to you?

Message 7 of 16 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Sep 29, 2012

xamoel_bros wrote:

not at all. again look at blazblue.

Message 8 of 16 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1273 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 29, 2012

zeothedeathgod wrote:

xamoel_bros wrote:

Blazblue was just a test to for the Guilty Gear fans since Aksys lost ownership for that franchise. Plus BlazBlue is more gear to hardcore fighting community that casual players. As this game it trying to get both of those player groups.

"I'm watching you in the shadows........nah im right next to ya"
Message 9 of 16 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Sep 29, 2012

n0rmal94 wrote:

zeothedeathgod wrote:

xamoel_bros wrote:

Blazblue was just a test to for the Guilty Gear fans since Aksys lost ownership for that franchise. Plus BlazBlue is more gear to hardcore fighting community that casual players. As this game it trying to get both of those player groups.

and? o.0

Message 10 of 16 (78 Views)
0 Likes