Lombax Warrior
219 posts

Re: Why is Crash so important?

Oct 6, 2012

ghost_nappa4 wrote:
PSone had some platformers but compared to PS2 it wasnt as big. PS2 gen platformers were like how first person shooters are now

I'd say that platformers had been the most popular genre in gaming right from Donkey Kong being released in 1981. It would grow more popular thanks to the likes of early mario and sonic games and would become successful as 3d games due to mario and crash. These were the last major changes to the genre until it started to decline in the mid 00's when the shooter replaced it as the most popular genre. It continued to change and grow but it was really crash and mario that made it what it is today.

Message 71 of 89 (57 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1104 posts

Oct 6, 2012
shooters werent popular on all consoles until 06-07.
This is relevant to my inetrest
Message 72 of 89 (54 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1104 posts

Oct 6, 2012
With Halo they have been popular on xbox since 00-01
Message 73 of 89 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
219 posts

Oct 6, 2012

pedro702 wrote:

Liam_C1991 wrote:

ghost_nappa4 wrote:
Crash didnt impact the game indursty. Thats not an opionan that fact. Uncharted redefined storytelling and pushed the limits of graphics, inFAMOUS proved there can be a good superhero game, FF7 is one of the best rpgs of all time. Crash was a good platformer with very good looking graphics

I don't understand how you can think that. Platforming was at that time the biggest genre in the industry and would remain that way for years after. Up until crash and mario 64 3d platformers were barely recognised. Then these 2 games came out within 2 months of each other and suddenly THE biggest genre in gaming gets a complete overhaul. Every platformer to come since would be completly different without these games. And it can't be said that it was all down to mario just because he got there 1st. They were released very close together ergo they were developed at the same time ergo they cannot be said to have made any differences to eachother in the development process. So they both effectivly created the basis for every platformer after it and given that, like I said it was at the time and for a long while after it THE biggest genre, that's one hell of an impact.

If you ask anyone that didnt owned a ps1 ppl  will say crash who? only we old gamers remenber him  heck the new generation is just ps2 up and middle ps2 life  crash isnt remenbered by younger audiences since his games stopped  mario will be remenbered for ever he is doing platformers for ever mario was the defining char for platformers 3d or not this is where most ppl take ideas from.

I think this board is the best guage of what this particular games audience is looking for and here, Crash is the most desired character. So popularity isn't an issue imo.

Message 74 of 89 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
219 posts

Oct 6, 2012

ghost_nappa4 wrote:
shooters werent popular on all consoles until 06-07.

I know that's what I said. No offense but could you maybe read my post a little more carefully because you've misunderstood me a couple of times now.

Message 75 of 89 (49 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1104 posts

Oct 6, 2012

Liam_C1991 wrote:

pedro702 wrote:

Liam_C1991 wrote:

ghost_nappa4 wrote:
Crash didnt impact the game indursty. Thats not an opionan that fact. Uncharted redefined storytelling and pushed the limits of graphics, inFAMOUS proved there can be a good superhero game, FF7 is one of the best rpgs of all time. Crash was a good platformer with very good looking graphics

I don't understand how you can think that. Platforming was at that time the biggest genre in the industry and would remain that way for years after. Up until crash and mario 64 3d platformers were barely recognised. Then these 2 games came out within 2 months of each other and suddenly THE biggest genre in gaming gets a complete overhaul. Every platformer to come since would be completly different without these games. And it can't be said that it was all down to mario just because he got there 1st. They were released very close together ergo they were developed at the same time ergo they cannot be said to have made any differences to eachother in the development process. So they both effectivly created the basis for every platformer after it and given that, like I said it was at the time and for a long while after it THE biggest genre, that's one hell of an impact.

If you ask anyone that didnt owned a ps1 ppl  will say crash who? only we old gamers remenber him  heck the new generation is just ps2 up and middle ps2 life  crash isnt remenbered by younger audiences since his games stopped  mario will be remenbered for ever he is doing platformers for ever mario was the defining char for platformers 3d or not this is where most ppl take ideas from.

I think this board is the best guage of what this particular games audience is looking for and here, Crash is the most desired character. So popularity isn't an issue imo.

Crash is the most requested becuase all the other big characters are already in. Drake,Sackboy, Cole, Sly, Ratchet, Sweet Tooth, etc

Message 76 of 89 (47 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1104 posts

Oct 6, 2012
You said it declined in the mid 00s. Well thats from 03-06 and that when the best Sly, Ratchet, and Jak games came out
Message 77 of 89 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
219 posts

Oct 6, 2012

ghost_nappa4 wrote:

Liam_C1991 wrote:

pedro702 wrote:

Liam_C1991 wrote:

ghost_nappa4 wrote:

Crash is the most requested becuase all the other big characters are already in. Drake,Sackboy, Cole, Sly, Ratchet, Sweet Tooth, etc

Crash is most requested for a myriad of reasons and most people here i think would agree that he deserves a place more than a lot of the characters you listed.

Message 78 of 89 (41 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1104 posts

Oct 6, 2012
Nope. Maybe sweet tooth but i bought twisted metal 2 psone classic and love itSmiley Happy Gameplay holds up many years later unlike Crash bandicoot
Message 79 of 89 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
219 posts

Oct 6, 2012

ghost_nappa4 wrote:
You said it declined in the mid 00s. Well thats from 03-06 and that when the best Sly, Ratchet, and Jak games came out

Fair point maybe declined was the wrong word. A better way of putting it would be to say that's when the shooter started to overtake it. You however said that the shooter didn't become popular until 05, 06. Which is pretty much what I was getting at.

Message 80 of 89 (36 Views)
0 Likes