Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 08/20/2012
Offline
1266 posts
 

Re: Why is Crash so important?

Oct 6, 2012

IzoGray wrote:
I personally think he is a dumb character. He has no depth to him and is just lame IMO.

Whatever though, I'm asking for Kat who's only had one game so I can't argue against him.

I can say that Kat is first party and should be 1000x easier to get in game. I'll keep saying that.

You're a brave guy for saying that, but how would you feel years from now if Kat will get sold to Activision or any other company?

 photo Vigor_murder_of_crows_zps5759709e.gif
Message 31 of 89 (121 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 09/30/2012
Offline
411 posts
 

Re: Why is Crash so important?

Oct 6, 2012
because crash is best character created ( or owned by sony

Message 32 of 89 (116 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 11/30/2011
Offline
538 posts
 

Re: Why is Crash so important?

Oct 6, 2012

LJPvonzity wrote:

IzoGray wrote:
I personally think he is a dumb character. He has no depth to him and is just lame IMO.

Whatever though, I'm asking for Kat who's only had one game so I can't argue against him.

I can say that Kat is first party and should be 1000x easier to get in game. I'll keep saying that.

You're a brave guy for saying that, but how would you feel years from now if Kat will get sold to Activision or any other company?


I don't see it happening. Studio Japan owns Kat and Gravity Rush.

 

Plus, I doubt Activision would buy Gravity Rush now. I doubt they would have bought Crash if they knew how much money they wouldn't make. They got lucky that kids love buying Skylander's toys.

Message 33 of 89 (107 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 07/09/2012
Offline
832 posts
 

Re: Why is Crash so important?

Oct 6, 2012

The Crash Bandicoot series was one of the driving forces behind the PS brand when it was just starting out. The importance of the games and series that helped lift the PS brand into stardom cannot be overstated. Sony was a newcomer back then. The household names were Nintendo and Sega. The fact that Sony managed to grab the market share lead with their very first console is a testament to the success of its strategy of heavy investment in acquiring exclusive content from both first party and third party developers. Series like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter, Silent Hill, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, etc, defined the PS brand during the PS1 era. The importance of these series is magnified because they set the foundation for the massive success of the PS brand. Consequently, these series definitely are that important for a game like this.

 

Let's take a look at the top-selling PS1 games list. The Crash Bandicoot series has 3 games in the top 10, 4 in the top 20 and 5 in the top 50 according to VGChartz (take it as a reasonable estimate).

 

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/5/playstation/

 

Let's take a look at scores from critics. The original Crash Bandicoot holds an 80% and the second and third ones hold an 89% on GameRankings. The original MediEvil and Heavenly Sword hold an 80% on GameRankings. PaRappa the Rapper holds an 88% on GameRankings. All info taken from Wikipedia.

 

Let's take a look at popularity. Yeah, nevermind.

Message 34 of 89 (89 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/28/2012
Offline
3755 posts
 

Re: Why is Crash so important?

Oct 6, 2012
It's funny you JUST asked this
Message 35 of 89 (85 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 05/04/2012
Offline
2075 posts
 

Re: Why is Crash so important?

Oct 6, 2012

Godlike_Shanker wrote:

The Crash Bandicoot series was one of the driving forces behind the PS brand when it was just starting out. The importance of the games and series that helped lift the PS brand into stardom cannot be overstated. Sony was a newcomer back then. The household names were Nintendo and Sega. The fact that Sony managed to grab the market share lead with their very first console is a testament to the success of its strategy of heavy investment in acquiring exclusive content from both first party and third party developers. Series like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter, Silent Hill, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, etc, defined the PS brand during the PS1 era. The importance of these series is magnified because they set the foundation for the massive success of the PS brand. Consequently, these series definitely are that important for a game like this.

 

Let's take a look at the top-selling PS1 games list. The Crash Bandicoot series has 3 games in the top 10, 4 in the top 20 and 5 in the top 50 according to VGChartz (take it as a reasonable estimate).

 

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/5/playstation/

 

Let's take a look at scores from critics. The original Crash Bandicoot holds an 80% and the second and third ones hold an 89% on GameRankings. The original MediEvil and Heavenly Sword hold an 80% on GameRankings. PaRappa the Rapper holds an 88% on GameRankings. All info taken from Wikipedia.

 

Let's take a look at popularity. Yeah, nevermind.


can not agree more

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 36 of 89 (72 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 09/13/2012
Offline
219 posts
 

Re: Why is Crash so important?

[ Edited ]
Oct 6, 2012

Liam_C1991 wrote:

1. The crash series has sold more units then any series represented in this game. Close to 10,000,000 more units then the current leader (Tekken) Nearly 20,000,000 more then 2nd place (Metal Gear) & Doubles 3rd place (Ratchet & Clank) It therefore has a bigger fanbase then any game with a rep currently in the roster and therefore his inclusion would please more people then any character in the roster.

 

2. Crash is really sony's only mascot. It's all very well saying for example that sackboy is the PS3 mascot but no one really associates the PS3 with sackboy in the same way they associated the PS1 with Crash. He is Sony's most successful mascot and for lack of a better way of putting it, he's the closest thing we have to a mario like figure. Ergo he is possibly THE most important character in sony's history and therefore deserves a place in a game celebrating Playstation more then any other characters.

 

Him being deserving or not shouldn't even be an issue. Crash should have made it in even if it ended up costing sony half of their profits from All stars.


Forgot a couple of points. Lol
- You say he didn't redefine a genre. I'd say that's disputable. He wasn't the first 3d platformer but he was the first to be done right and to become popular.
- You say he didn't make one mechanic go widespread. I'd say that's disputable. He wasn't the first 3d platformer but he was the first to be done right and to become popular. Smiley Tongue
- You say he hasn't been praised as the best game of his generation. I'd say that's disputable. Of the most popular PS1 games on the PS store atm the 1st 4 results are crash games.

- You say he hasn't survived and thrived for 2 generations. He definitly survived. Thrived? I'd say that's disputable.

- You say his fans aren't dedicated. Errrm look around this board for all of 2 minutes and try saying that again with a straight face.

- You say he hasn't made a great superhero game. Why would he? He's not a superhero. Cole's never made a great bandicoot game.
- You say he didn't make the first big rythm game. I'd say that's a strange criticism, Again, it's too specific. Parappa didn't make the 1st popular bandicoot based game.

 

Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 89 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 08/18/2012
Offline
1104 posts
 

Re: Why is Crash so important?

Oct 6, 2012
mario 64 was the first 3d playformer
This is relevant to my inetrest
Message 38 of 89 (62 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 08/18/2012
Offline
1104 posts
 

Re: Why is Crash so important?

Oct 6, 2012
Crash bandicoot only sold 6.8 million...
This is relevant to my inetrest
Message 39 of 89 (62 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 08/18/2012
Offline
1104 posts
 

Re: Why is Crash so important?

Oct 6, 2012
@liam_c I think you should get your sales checked out cuz they seem way off
This is relevant to my inetrest
Message 40 of 89 (59 Views)
Reply
0 Likes