Wastelander
842 posts

Re: Why didn't PSASBR reach expectations?

Aug 14, 2013

Marketing was a big problem. I learned of the game about a year before its release on wikipedia when someone accidentally put it as a new Ratchet and Clank game. Since then, I have had to search for news about it. On the television in all that time, I saw ONE commercial, and that was about a month before the game hit.

Then, the consumers were greedy. "Crash isn't in? Well forget that, I'm not buying this!" Because their personal favorite childhood character could not be acquired, they ultimately ended up missing out on a great (Albeit flawed) experience, and further lowering the chances of the people they want getting in.

How can a game "with no All-Stars" have Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Kratos, Nathan Drake, et cetera?

We all know how devastating the leaks were. If they had never happened, I imagine things might've turned out differently. So much planned hype was suddenly gone.

Zeus and Isaac will the nails in the coffin for PSASBR. Two characters that most hadn't asked for (Even to the point of refusing to buy them), were extremely glitched up, and highly annoying to fight. Lack of sales meant SSM no longer cared, and would continue to "support" the game through online connectivity, until we found out about Dart.

I wish Sony had kept SuperBot. They seem to have finally been able to get what we were asking for (Gravity Rush/Journey stage, Dart), and had done a decent first try, but due to the reasons above, PSASBR was handed on to SSM who already had their hands full.

Message 11 of 16 (161 Views)
Wastelander
640 posts

Aug 14, 2013

BladeXTails wrote:
IMO, I don't think the marketing was the downfall. People just didn't really give a **bleep**.

I have to agree, I mean It wasnt like Dissidia Final Fantasy where when i was in highschool everyone rushed to go buy a psp just for that game. Jesus christ even all the hardcore jocks and nerds were scouring almost all the gamestop, target, and walmart just to get their copy with a psp.

This game was just meh... sure i'll think about it. Wasnt even a must get, no midnight lines waiting to get their copies. 

Like people knew of the game but no one was just intrest. I mean hey I wasnt even going to buy this game but i got a free Vita digital download from my friend.

But i think the only reason people didnt give a **bleep** was because.

1- Rip Off of Super Smash Brothers series but worse

2- Character Roster sucked. (I mean where is Aya Brea, Lara Croft, Cloud Strife, Crash, Spyro and sooo many more playstation icons THAT SHOULD OF BEEN IN THIS GAME! but no instead of one those characters Omar said "Lets just use the last remaining spot for Evil Cole, im sure everyone wont mind and i'll just keep using my normal excuse as always, stay tuned.") seriously Omar out of all characters you would put in evil cole instead of any of the characters i mentioned? Seriously at least Nintendo got it right with Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zero Suite Samus in Super Smash Brothers. -_-

So in reality it was a little maybe 8% due to not advertising enough because a lot of people knew about game but majority of why this game failed was people just didnt give a **bleep** IMO!

photo 2014-07-22-060145.jpg
Message 12 of 16 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
289 posts

Aug 14, 2013
1. Price
2. Roster
3. Lack of Content and game modes
4. Marketing

Each point can be elaborated on but this is the basic summary of the issues
Message 13 of 16 (127 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Aug 14, 2013

D1renegade wrote:
1. Price
2. Roster
3. Lack of Content and game modes
4. Marketing

Each point can be elaborated on but this is the basic summary of the issues

All of these points are true. Another is howit was compared with Smash Bros. Some hate this because it is considered as a "copy" and others hated this game for not being a "copy".  Smiley Very Happy One more is the expextations of the players. People expected characters that they wanted. Yet, we just got some newer characters that should/shouldn't be here. : / 

Message 14 of 16 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Aug 14, 2013
Because the majority of today's gamers have such limited taste in games they miss out on great games like this.

Also lack of advertising didn't help.
Message 15 of 16 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3419 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 14, 2013

Hero_of_winds wrote:

BladeXTails wrote:
IMO, I don't think the marketing was the downfall. People just didn't really give a **bleep**.

I have to agree, I mean It wasnt like Dissidia Final Fantasy where when i was in highschool everyone rushed to go buy a psp just for that game. Jesus christ even all the hardcore jocks and nerds were scouring almost all the gamestop, target, and walmart just to get their copy with a psp.

This game was just meh... sure i'll think about it. Wasnt even a must get, no midnight lines waiting to get their copies. 

Like people knew of the game but no one was just intrest. I mean hey I wasnt even going to buy this game but i got a free Vita digital download from my friend.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dissidia is actually a good comparison.

The success of Dissidia was the fan service (It was also a solid game, but the story was... meh). I could play as my all time favorite Final Fantasy characters, the game was full of hints at old classic references and whatnot. The exchanges between the cast was interesting and amusing. (Kuja/Kefka, Gabranth/Shantotto) and made sense. 

Allstars did its best with fan service, trying to include the rival cutscenes, but most of them proved petty and didn't make that much sense. (Cole/Raiden - You're either with me or against me lul) compared to (Big Daddy/Sackboy - Little Sister likes Sackboy more than Big Daddy so he gets jealous). It was really hit and miss.

The first Dissidia had one hero and one villain from each game, (+ a few others) and in its next game (which was practically an expansion rather than a new game) LISTENED TO FANS, they introduced fan favorite characters that didn't make the cut before.

With allstars DLC we didn't really get what we asked for. We got what was easy for SSM to get. Emmett was easy, SSM already own him; Kat was easy, Gravity Rush isn't that big of a game. Zeus was easy, SSM already own him; and Isaac? I'm not quite sure what happened there.

Zeus and Isaac were not requested at all, yet we still got them. The big faliure of a game is when you don't listen to fans.

RingingPhoneTelephone Calls 

Satire Extraordinaire!RingingPhone
"Stop trolling, you're CLEARLY trolling!" - Everyone In Off-Topic.

~ Proud Upholder Of The PS Forums Rules Of Conduct ~
~ Survivor Of Two Permanent Bans ~ Influential Satire Member ~

~ Forum Moderation Expert ~ Victim Of Many Injustices ~
~ Sworn Enemy To The Off-Topic Board ~ Anti-Troll Cultist ~

...Before you report this post, please check HERE to see if it actually breaches the PS Forums Rules Of Conduct, otherwise you're wasting your time! Thanks!

Message 16 of 16 (86 Views)
0 Likes