Jan 06 2013
By: Amadeous313 Splicer 54 posts

Why are tourny rules so strict?

4 replies 128 views Edited Jan 6, 2013

Why is everyone so stiff about tournament rules for this game.

I understand the 1v1 thing.

The banning of items and Stage hazards is what confuse me though. It is the exact same reason why I couldn't play Smash Bros tournaments and I hoped people wouldn't do that to the All-Stars scene.

The items in this game seem very under powered to constitute a ban.

The Hazards are part of the game and do not give an unfair advantage to either player so what the heck?

Are there any serious tournaments with the items and hazards turned on?

Message 1 of 5 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Re: Why are tourny rules so strict?

Jan 6, 2013
If they have Hazards and Items on, I wouldn't call them a serious tournament.

Outside factors that can influence a match SHOULD be eliminated. A match should only be decided by both player's skill and nothing else.

Not to say there is not strategy around items, but thet can unfairly influence a game one way or another, and that is not a good thing. Same for hazards.

Also, many stage help one character over another TOO much. These too need to be banned for fairness.

Does that make sense? I know it isn't "as fun" and I really do understand a lot of people never played Smash because it turned so serious, but that is what happens to fighting games.

If you want a tournament with items and such, organize one! I'd even put it on my events page for the website. Smiley Happy

There are other people who like hazards and items, I'm even working on the idea of more of a friendly league with those things for those who like them.
Message 2 of 5 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

Jan 6, 2013

Thank you for reply.

I'm all for serious fighters. I play Blazblue fairly competitively (Rachel main for life) but there just aren't as many extra regulations with features in the "item type" fighters.

I feel like the game was meant to be played with the craziness intact. I understand the new rules would change tier lists and the such but I feel tournament players should be able to adapt to these things. Tournament players have to adapt all the time when new tricks are discovered and such.

As for making a tournament I might do that even though I'm not that good yet. (got this from my bro as a christmas present.)

Message 3 of 5 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Jan 6, 2013
There are other people with the same mindset. The idea of items vs no items, or even just certain items is up for debate, even in the Smash world at times.

Craziness is good for FFA for sure, I think any FFA tournament with hazards and items would be well accepted, as that is how most people play FFA.
Message 4 of 5 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
457 posts

Jan 6, 2013

If you wanted items in smash...you were what we consider "casual"

Yeah dem smash balls were legal and dont forget the pokeballs

Message 5 of 5 (82 Views)
0 Likes