Nov 20 2012
By: hyruleshero96 Hekseville Citizen 397 posts

Why a small roster (like PSASBR) > a big one (SSB)

13 replies 268 views Edited Nov 20, 2012

I actually like the smaller roster for this game. Watching the livestream it seems as though Superbot has put a lot of time and care into each fighter. Plus there are no reskins! My biggest gripe about SSB is that a lot of characters are exactly the same with small differences (i.e. Fox, falco, wolf, link, young link, toon link, ganondorf, captain falcon, mario, luigi, lucas, ness). In PSASBR every character is unique. Even Nariko and Kratos (very similar in their own games) play quite differently. Good and Evil Cole who are the SAME character even play differently.

This is a tradeoff i am willing to make. Superbot has gone for variety as opposed to mass and I (may be the only one) actually like it.

Dunno how to make a Signature picture....
Message 1 of 14 (268 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
375 posts

Re: Why a small roster (like PSASBR) > a big one (SSB)

Nov 20, 2012

They could have spent another year on this game and put the same time and care into 20 more characters, I would've been fine with that. They should not have bothered until they confirmed with Activision and other IP holders that they could get the biggest most desired characters for the game.

Message 2 of 14 (247 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Nov 20, 2012
exactly, hyrule!

Message 3 of 14 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

Nov 20, 2012

I've said before, I really believe the roster is great as is. They will be adding more characters and if we go and buy the game and support the dlc, we are assured a sequel in the future. With a sequel Super Bot and Sony will have the ability to keep negotiations with these other companies. 

I guess I'm in the minority. 

Also, as I've pointed out before. 20 characters provides quite a bit of match ups. 

There are 210 1v1 match ups and 8855 free-for-all match ups. And if you want to count different stages providing different gameplay possibilities the numbers keep getting bigger. 

Also, now is the best time to introduce a Sony Mascot Brawler because PS4 is around the corner and that will only open up new character oppurtunities. I.E. more content for a more polished sequel. 

Check out my video game blog: http://pixeltrowel.wordpress.com
I don't regurgitate, I provide valuable opinion. Delve into video games with me.
Message 4 of 14 (209 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
397 posts

Nov 20, 2012

Nick930930 wrote:

They could have spent another year on this game and put the same time and care into 20 more characters, I would've been fine with that. They should not have bothered until they confirmed with Activision and other IP holders that they could get the biggest most desired characters for the game.

I don't know about you but i'd rather have it now than continue to whine about a bandicoot Smiley Wink Its not like Superbot chose not to  put him in. Think about how perfect everything else has been (as far as consumer appreciation). Free DLC. Tons of content. No bothersome unlocking. Taking fan suddgestions for dlc. If Crash could have been in this game he would. But i bet my balls he will be in the inevitable sequel

Message 5 of 14 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
325 posts

Nov 20, 2012
Something nice about All-Stars? There's no tripping, lackluster story, clones, or over-saturation of particular franchises. Also, Stage mashes, massive customization, and a lot more explosions and fun times.
Message 6 of 14 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
397 posts

Nov 20, 2012

Oh and I hope we see some Last of Us representation for dlc next year

Message 7 of 14 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 20, 2012

JesseCasco wrote:
Something nice about All-Stars? There's no tripping, lackluster story, clones, or over-saturation of particular franchises. Also, Stage mashes, massive customization, and a lot more explosions and fun times.

I really hated tripping in Brawl. What a stupid idea. I actually liked the Subspace Emissary, my girlfriend and I had a blast co-oping that together. I was sort of hoping for a co-op style mode. 

Check out my video game blog: http://pixeltrowel.wordpress.com
I don't regurgitate, I provide valuable opinion. Delve into video games with me.
Message 8 of 14 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Nov 20, 2012

khailcon wrote:

JesseCasco wrote:

I really hated tripping in Brawl. What a stupid idea. I actually liked the Subspace Emissary, my girlfriend and I had a blast co-oping that together. I was sort of hoping for a co-op style mode. 

Am I the only one that really didn't mind the tripping in Brawl? I actually thought it was kinda funny. 

Message 9 of 14 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
397 posts

Nov 20, 2012

JesseCasco wrote:

YES...that was a terrible design choice.

Message 10 of 14 (151 Views)
0 Likes