Feb 17 2013
By: Noobish-Hero Sackboy 457 posts

Why a Bouncer Big Daddy?

31 replies 522 views Edited Feb 17, 2013

I feel like SB failed to establish character identitiy when they added a Big Daddy to the roster. I believe their main reason for adding him is because he can be seen as the face of the Bioshock franchise. As a huge fan of Bioshock, I feel like this is a slap in the face. To me, Big Daddies are just common enemies to me. There are plenty of memorable characters who could have been selected over a Big Daddy.

1. Jack Ryan:Jack_Ryan_Portrait.png

Why not use the main protagonist of the first game? I picture him using his wrench for basic attacks. He has a ton of plasmids to choose from. I also picture him being able to summon hacked turrets or security bots. I picture one of his supers as him pulling out a golf club and beating people with it.

2. Johnny Topside (Subject Delta):delta.jpg

I think SB's intention of adding an Alpha Series costume as a selection for the Big Daddy was their way of showing off Delta, similar to them using Deimos as a costume for Kratos. This doesn't work though (for me anyways). Delta is his own character. SB giving the Big Daddy the ability to use plasmids is a unique way to show off customs of Bioshock, but it is not accurate. Big Daddies do not wield plasmids. However, Subject Delta(and Sigma) can wield plamids. Therefore them using Delta in this game would have been more accurate. Delta also has an entire arsenal of weapons that could be used.

Reasons for not using these two is mainly due to their lack of character development. They don't even show Jack Ryan's face (excluding the picture) in game. I believe that their lack of development is due to the creators wanting the players to believe that they are roaming the city of Rapture and not as the character.

3.Frank Fontaine (Atlas):frank_fontaine.jpg

Fontaine is a very memorable character. Why not add him? SB needs more villains on the roster anyway. In my opinion he is one of the greatest villains. A master manipulator, willing to do whatever it takes to climb to the top. Since he has three different forms during his boss fight, I feel like they could possibly do to him what they did with Toro (changing costumes) or Emmet (calling in weapons). His different forms can change his gameplay style. Although there are plenty of ways to go about creating a fighting style for Fontaine, that was just something I thought of.  

4. Eleanor Lamb:Eleanor-good.png

The first utopian. Eleanor being a big sister, would make her a more acrobatic, combo based character. Her plasmids would include her telekinesis (I imagine it similar to Kat's neutral cirlce), and her Houdini tactics which include teleporting and throwing fireballs. 

Those are some characters I believe would have been better additions to the roster other than a Big Daddy. I'd like to hear your opinions. Do you guys agree with some of my suggestions, or do you think the big daddy was the best choice? Why? Thanks for reading!

Message 1 of 32 (522 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5663 posts

Re: Why a Bouncer Big Daddy?

Feb 17, 2013
Elizabeth would've been a good rep too in my opinion, but I think people just identify with Big Daddy more - the game isn't exactly a worldwide success, so having people even partially mindful of the character makes for better exposure then saying 'urm...who ?'.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 2 of 32 (508 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5663 posts

Feb 17, 2013
Plus, keep in mind Irrational Games didnt work on Bioshock 2, so getting a rep would mean a completely different negotiation process.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 3 of 32 (505 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4140 posts

Feb 17, 2013
Big Daddy's are unique and they had a interesting move set. The big daddy who they use is the main one from 2 who you play as. If they added a main protagonist from the first game it would have just been another guy with a guy and powers.

The look of the big daddy is more well known and it allowed them to have another "tank" in the game.

The big sister could have worked but she would have been less tanky and more like raiden
-------------------

What a wasteland it's become
Message 4 of 32 (488 Views)
Highlighted
Splicer
80 posts

Feb 17, 2013

1) Bouncer big daddy is the face of bioshock
2) The characaters that u named have appeared in 1 game 

3) Big daddy is the character that we needed in this game like bowser in smash bros, (We have sweet tooth and sir dan but if u mean slow and heavy is BD)

Thse reasons are just my opinion !

and Kuro too!LombaxEmmett

Message 5 of 32 (482 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1661 posts

Feb 17, 2013

bd

If you've never played Bioshock, but have seen it before, who are you going to recognize? Furthermore, who's a recurring factor in all of the BioShock games?

------------------------------------------------
Fresh to death
Message 6 of 32 (470 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Feb 17, 2013
As a huge fan of Bioshock, Big Daddy is perfect. Everyone knows who he is. I don't understand the issue here.
Message 7 of 32 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3580 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2013

The Bouncer is the mascot and the most recognizable version of Big Daddy. That should be enough of a reason for why he was chosen.

Also, no one would recognize Jack and Atlas if they never played Bioshock. Big Sister would have been better gameplay wise but a Bouncer represents the game a lot more then Delta or Eleanor Lamb.

Message 8 of 32 (456 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2013

This thread again? The Bouncer Big Daddy is the face of Bioshock.

_Deal_with_it_dog.gif

Oh and great job for posting spoilers. Not everyone's played the sequel yet.

Message 9 of 32 (428 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

Feb 17, 2013
I would've prefer Delta too,but any other character would look strange in my opinion
Click click click click click click click click................... I need to get off the forums.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Signature created by GFXNinja/CyborgHippo
Message 10 of 32 (407 Views)
0 Likes