Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Re: Why I'm not satisfied with the roster

Oct 1, 2012

I only draw issue with the people that claim that the amount of characters overall is too small for two years of development time.  Complaints about the content is at least understandable, but saying that 20 characters isn't enough for a brand new game with only two years to work with is flat-out stupid considering no first game ever has that many.  

However, if the big third party characters aren't present, I can't really draw direct issue with SuperBot, so long as they actually tried getting the big names (Snake, Lara, Crash, Spyro, Cloud, and/or Sora).  If it comes out that they didn't go for Crash somehow, however...

RexLozuresky wrote:

Bryyo wrote:
For the last time Fat Princess has TWO games.

Oh that changes everything

To be fair, she does represent PSP and PSN with her two games, and both did need some presence in the game.  It makes her slightly more relevant than if she were just one.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 21 of 35 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 1, 2012

RexLozuresky wrote:

Bryyo wrote:
For the last time Fat Princess has TWO games.

Oh that changes everything

So you're saying that THE most successful PSN game isn't deserving of a character on this roster? Sounds legit...

RexLozuresky wrote:

Yeah, again. Playstation's past isn't properly represented as for now. That's A FACT. Seriously you make a game about Sony's past... WITHOUT CRASH BANDICOOT? 

Also, yes, this roster for now it's mediocre. It's not totally bad, it has a lot of right and awesome characters, but not all of them. Brawl doesn't share this problem.

Personally, I could care less about Crash. He was an important part of Playstation at one point, but he's also a third party character, and I understand how difficult it is to get rights to put certain third party characters in a game. Not to mention I'm fairly convinced he's going to be in the final roster anyway...will you people stop complaining if he is? I'm not convinced.

Comparing a third entry fighting game to a first entry isn't quite fair, since for Brawl, they were able to recycle about 67%, or 2/3, of the roster from melee. A couple tweaks here, a couple tweaks there, add Subspace mode (Which, by the way, wasn't even that good), throw in a couple new stages (most of which are just recolors of Melees, maybe with a new gimmick or two), twelve new characters whose movesets don't stick out aside from the B button ones (and not all of them, at that) and who are COMPLETELY unbalanced (Metaknight vs Ganondorf, anyone?), add broken wifi mode, introduce final smashes and voila, you have everything Sakurai worked on in Brawl. Completely unimpressive compared to PSASBR, which is (supposedly) going to be decently balanced, 14-15 (that we know of) completely original stages, 20 (that we know of) new characters that each have the equivalent of three different final smashes on top of a unique moveset, a few unique modes we haven't heard details of yet, a brand new pool of items, and decent wifi play.

Yep. Sounds to me like Brawl's got this one in terms of pure content added from Melee, hands down. And if you're going to say "Well, that's not fair! Compare it to Melee then since Melee is better than Brawl anyway!", well, let's just save ourselves some time since my argument basically stands and I can do another point by point comparison for those of you who can't see it.

Also, if you want to play the "Cole is 10% of the roster" game, then may I point out that basically Fox is 8%, Link is 5%, and Ness is 5% of the Brawl roster? (Average % of the roster each character is: 2.5% as opposed to PSASBR's 5%)
I could also count Mario/Luigi but Luigi is original enough, I guess. That still means 18% of the Brawl roster is basically three characters. Just be glad we aren't counting Melee clones.

Message 22 of 35 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
788 posts

Oct 1, 2012

still want my scorpion here..at least as DLC...

Message 23 of 35 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
722 posts

Oct 1, 2012
Some good points brought up here...I'm all for the camp preaching quality over quantity, but I do think that they could (and should have) been able to crank out a few more than 20. True, this is the first iteration in a new IP, but it's hard not to think of it as lacking when you look at other fighting titles being released with 40+ characters on a fairly regular basis. Hell, even that cartoon network smash game has 26 or something like that.

I know deep in my gut that 20 quality, well balanced characters should be better than 30 sloppily designed ones, but it's hard to stomach such a small roster in 2012, if that makes any sense.
Message 24 of 35 (131 Views)
Wastelander
809 posts

Oct 1, 2012
I hate people that defend this game at every corner, not every game is perfect.. Just because you're excited for it won' make the game amazing.

Superbot made alot of mistakes sofar, it's hurt them.

Let's just hope that Crash an Cloud are in, putting those two would make me see the roster a whole new way if those two were included.
Message 25 of 35 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
489 posts

Oct 1, 2012

joshTX wrote:
Some good points brought up here...I'm all for the camp preaching quality over quantity, but I do think that they could (and should have) been able to crank out a few more than 20. True, this is the first iteration in a new IP, but it's hard not to think of it as lacking when you look at other fighting titles being released with 40+ characters on a fairly regular basis. Hell, even that cartoon network smash game has 26 or something like that.

I know deep in my gut that 20 quality, well balanced characters should be better than 30 sloppily designed ones, but it's hard to stomach such a small roster in 2012, if that makes any sense.

They easily could have brought out several more characters. They have loads more first party titles that they didn't use figthers from. They had plenty of oppurtunities to make this game better than what it is now. 

Still, if we're taking the "20 Launch Characters" at face-value and not as "just a ploy to get Paul Gale's source out/suprise us with unlockable characters or reveals," I'm still happy with this game. It's fun as hell and I'll be spending most of my time as Nathan Drake and Big Daddy anway. 

Message 26 of 35 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Oct 1, 2012

DIONEDA wrote:

joshTX wrote:

They easily could have brought out several more characters. They have loads more first party titles that they didn't use figthers from. They had plenty of oppurtunities to make this game better than what it is now. 

Still, if we're taking the "20 Launch Characters" at face-value and not as "just a ploy to get Paul Gale's source out/suprise us with unlockable characters or reveals," I'm still happy with this game. It's fun as hell and I'll be spending most of my time as Nathan Drake and Big Daddy anway. 

I disagree with the first part slightly, really only because we don't know whether they truly could have or not.  We don't know how much time each character takes to get done, so saying that they could've added several characters mean we'd have 26 characters, with 12 being unfinished.  In a vacuum, with no time limit on this game's development, I agree, but that's not what we have.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 27 of 35 (117 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
832 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 1, 2012

RexLozuresky wrote:

The roster, for now, has a lot of problems, that's objective. I'm confident though. In a perfect world where every character is in the hands of Sony, it could easily be as good as Smash Bros.'s one, if not better. But this world sucks and Superbot is making a lot of mistakes. The problems for me are:

1. The Double Cole **bleep**. Well that's pretty self-explanatory. At least they have a complete different moveset, but that's not enough. Infamous doesn't deserve two rep, when, for example, Crash has none, for now.

2. Donte. This is a problem only if there isn't an alternate costume with his original attire. I don't care what people think, they can even like Donte more, that's not the point. The original Dante meant something to Sony. This new one doesn't represent NOTHING Sony-related. Again though, this isn't a problem if you can switch to the original one, but at this point I really don't think so.

3. The females. Fat Princess and Nariko are just irrelevant. They appeared in only one game both, and one of them isn't even that good. They're in only because of the lack of females characters. Lara Croft is THE female character in videogames and was relevant to Playstation once, but not a word for her. That just sucks.

4. Big Daddy. Just hear me out for this one. He's awesome and all, but again, does he deserve a spot more than other characters which are not in? He's not Sony. It's going to have a Vita exclusive, OK, but I don't think that's enough. But anyway, this is a minor issue because Bioshock is one of the best games of this generation and Big Daddy rocks.

5. Raiden. Another minor issue, he's deserving a spot, but more than Snake? Or Big Boss? Looks like a commercial kind of thing. But still, he's not a problem as big as the first three.

These are, for now, my major perplexities about this game's roster. Some of them are fixable, some of them are going to stick around. It all depends on what Superbot's going to do now. If other characters are going to be add, that's ok, but if this is in fact THE FINALE ROSTER, this game is going to be a complete disappointment.

Well said. I don't rage over Raiden like other MGS fans but there's no way I would have ever chosen him over Solid Snake/Big Boss for PSA. Hopefully this was Konami's decision cuz it would absolutely suck if SuperBot went with Raiden based on gameplay potential only. This is one of the main reasons why the gameplay factor is almost irrelevant to me when deciding if a character should make it in or not. Lara Croft and Solid Snake/Big Boss should be in the game, no questions asked. It doesn't matter if they're human/realistic/gun characters or the fact that there are other characters with similar gameplay elements. They mean more to the PS brand than the majority of characters out there.

And yeah, it sucks that Sony doesn't own a lot of the characters that are strongly associated with the PS brand. Of the top ten characters that I consider to be the best representatives of the PS brand, 6 are third party and none of them are in (for now). If SuperBot and Sony were able to get a couple of them, maybe even just one, people would be ecstatic about it. Just imagine if they could get all of them then.

Crash

Spyro

Lara Croft

Solid Snake/Big Boss

Cloud

Sora

Kratos

Sackboy

Ratchet & Clank

Nathan Drake

Message 28 of 35 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
385 posts

Oct 1, 2012
The roster is actually near perfect imo
Only thing it is missiong is Team Ico and Japan Studio Reps...
And its hard to take some one serious when all they are asking for is 3rd party -_-;;
Message 29 of 35 (94 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Oct 2, 2012

I Agree with everything you said. Also , DmC is a prequel. maybe thats why Dante looks different. In Level 3 his hair becomes white and his jacket is more red etc. Just Saying

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cloud and Robbit for Allstars!!!

Message 30 of 35 (74 Views)
0 Likes