Wastelander
809 posts

Re: Why I don't feel the game will live long.

Sep 26, 2012
It's true though. Don't get mad.
Message 41 of 66 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Sep 26, 2012

YMIFlavored wrote:
I am giving accurate info. I also know everyone on this roster (minus fortesque) because we grew up around the playstation. That wasn't everyones childhood, and that was my point.

Also, i'm going to take a shower, but i'd be happy to have this discussion more when I get back.

eh to be honest, it all depends, nintendo was bigger for peoples childhood yes, but playstation fans will know all these characters and welcome them, again nintendo, if you look at smash, most of those characters have A LOT of games and they are their big series, i think pitt was the only character most people had never even heard of, and even than a lot of people knew him. Nintendo (no offense again >.> im a huge nintendo fan) likes to milk their series, so thats why everybody knows those characters, sony tries different things quite often, so thats why not every gamer may know all these characters.

http://xat.com/the_brotherhood_of_gaming

Message 42 of 66 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
370 posts

Sep 26, 2012

YMIFlavored wrote:
I'm not saying the game needs items, I used it as an example from a popular game that this one can most identify with. With nintendos roster, you didn't even need a gamer to know who those characters were. You're grandmother could walk by and at LEAST know the mario side of the roster was, and would probably recognise a few more. Unless you're a gamer, you do not who Big Daddy, Radec, or hell anyone on this roster is. The biggest appeal of party games is that anyone can play it and it's automatically appealing, and so far the appeal of this game is directed at it's characters, so you better be having a party full of gamers, or it isn't going to be very appealing.

id much rather play with gamers and i hope this game does draw them out. i dont want to Play against someones grandma whos only on the stick because she played mario way back when there were 2 buttons on a controller. Please explain how that type of player can bring competition

Message 43 of 66 (124 Views)
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Sep 26, 2012

Pick your arguments haha! I personally have more of a connection to Playstation than I do with Nintendo.

On the earlier discussion point:

There are two ways to understand super effectiveness. One is kill potential, the other hit-guarantee.

So generally speaking in a FFA context, kill potential is largely more important than hit guarantee. The supers you would likely go for are supers that will net you multiple kills. The reward of a level 3 is that you’re guaranteed multiple kills.

In a 1v1 situation, hit guarantee is far more precious commodity. Level 1 supers are not guaranteed. Level 2 supers give you a better shot, and level 3 supers are guaranteed kills.

Now there are two options that’s going to make level 3 supers viable (for some characters). The first is AP generation. The big meta game there is making sure you knock out a level 1 or 2 before you hit 3 because it’s just generally not cost effective.

The second option is instantaneous respawn. Now for characters like Sly who don’t have an interactive level 3, this can net you multiple kills. Again, the balance coming from the kill potential on a level 2. For example, Heihachi’s level 3 may net you one, but his level 2 with Kuma can score multiple kills. Meaning you want to pop it before you hit 3.

Also, you can use level 3s to deny supers which is a really interesting meta game in of itself.

In my opinion, the best mode is going to be 2v2 because it offers the best of all worlds.

------------------
THIS IS ACE

Team Aceun

Message 44 of 66 (115 Views)
Fender Bender
3500 posts

Sep 26, 2012

YMIFlavored wrote:
I am giving accurate info. I also know everyone on this roster (minus fortesque) because we grew up around the playstation. That wasn't everyones childhood, and that was my point.

Also, i'm going to take a shower, but i'd be happy to have this discussion more when I get back.

Nintendo wasnt everyone childhood either

IT'S MY WAY OR . . . HELL IT'S MY WAY
Message 45 of 66 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Sep 26, 2012

Monkee-King_ wrote:

YMIFlavored wrote:
The problem is that when you compare it to smash, you have to realise 2 things. a) Smash characters are characters that almost everyone grew up with. Who grew up with Cole and Radec? No-one they're basically brand new. The only members you can geek out on nostalgia with are Parappa, Spike, Fortesque, Sly, and Jak. That's about it. and B) Smash has enough options to allow you to tweak it to the game you want to play. Want to only use pokeballs? Sure.

I absolutely disagree with this argument... Why the fudge would i want i fighting game based simply on nostalgia? Nintendo's cute little characters dont do anything but annoy me because of all the potential characters that COULD be in but are not because of the likes of Wario or Princess Peach, yoshi, and  all the various clones that offer only a sprite change. I like PSAS roster 100xs better and not only because its clone free. Every character feels unique in the way they build meter. In smash players are unique for the first 40-50% then everyone is the same each one is playing chase with the launched opponent. There is never an instance where youll see radec dishing out close combat combos other than a grab to create distance. But back on topic Id much rather characers that are COOL and capable of holding their own since this is a fighting game than characters that sit unused but are holding a spot for nostalgia. 

As a fighting game player, I agree. I didn't buy P4U because it had persona on the box, I bought it because I like arcsys. The quote you responded to was not from a fighting game POV but from a party game POV. If you brought 10 random people from anywhere, and showed them the 2 games, they would easily identify who most of the smash characters are, and it would probably be more appealing because of it. If we want to look at it from a fighting game stance, I would still lean towards the smash side of things, because of the holes i've mentioned in the "AP" system. 

Message 46 of 66 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
139 posts

Sep 26, 2012
you can also throw a person to knock out ap so that will make 1v1 very competitive, imagine fighting to get to your super first only to be thrown and lose ap. theres alot of metagame here even more that im not mentioning. i've never seen so much hate for a new game wait... DMC. well still no ones making you buy this game and im pretty sure it will find an audience, especially among those who love playstation
RIVAL STAGE & POLYGON STAGE!!!
Message 47 of 66 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1329 posts

Sep 26, 2012

YMIFlavored wrote:

What I mean by "options" is just that. Options. Settings that can be manipulated to tweak the game. As it stands, the setup of the game will not allow for a competitive environment, it just won't. If it isn't a competitive game, or even one you can get better at, then it just stays a casual party game, and I really don't want to see a game that has so much potential fall into that rutt.

Did you seriously write this game off after seeing only ONE game mode of gameplay on every site and the beta only having ONE out of the MANY game modes available in the full release.. You sir are just as fail as your attempt at writing this game off.

Oh and SniperWolf is just as fail for being such a silly troll.

Message 48 of 66 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Sep 26, 2012
It's begining to get difficult to dispute these because I have to argue this from 2 points of view. 1) The POV of a fighting game player and 2) Teh POV of it being a party game. If I make a comment from POV2 Someone says well good! It should be: place POV1 here, and vice versa. As far as information from POV 1 goes, Aceun seems to know what he's talking about. Risk/reward is key in all of this. My question now would be, can you block level 3's?
Message 49 of 66 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1360 posts

Sep 26, 2012
From what I see, Level 3's are unblockable.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 50 of 66 (66 Views)
0 Likes