Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Re: Why I don't feel the game will live long.

Sep 26, 2012

YMIFlavored wrote:
you can do that in this game rofl.... i love how people come here and have NO clue about the game xD

Which part can you do, the part with characters people grew up with, or the part where you slap each other with pokeballs? Because I haven't seen either of those videos but would love to.

*facepalm* changing items and all that. which is what you said this game needs. and the full roster hasnt come out yet. this is ALL of playstations life, nintendo (no offense im a huge nintendo fan) doesnt really take chances with new IPs all the time, thats why you dont see new characters in smash all the time, of course its going to be characters people grew up with for that.

http://xat.com/the_brotherhood_of_gaming

Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 66 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Sep 26, 2012

YMIFlavored wrote:

Aceun wrote:

Really interesting essay, but doesn’t really deal with the issue of longevity for the game. It sounds like you want more options and there are tons.

As for 1v1, none of us can really speak to it because none of us have really played it. Anything we have to say is conjecture so here’s my stab at it, haha.

Most players are going to go for level 1 supers. As the community gets better and people know how to avoid most level ones, we’ll start to see some level 2s. As the community gets better, people may even start avoiding level 2s leaving level 3s as the only sure option to score a kill. Now factor in a more rapid AP generation setting, no stage hazards, and reverse stock mode and you have a frenzied match type great for people who want to implement both defensive and offensive strategies.

For example, I imagine a person who becomes really good at reading players (but not effective at landing supers) just as effective as a person who’s amazing at landing level 1s but can easily get wiped out – to use a crude example.

Moral of the story, we just don’t know enough to write off this game as not lasting long.

You're right my judgement is probably a little hasty, but I still don't like a lot of the mechanics present. I feel like if I spent the time to get to that level 3 I should be rewarded MORE for using it. For example as I stated somewhere sometime before, sly's level 3 makes the most sense when you have 3 opponents. If theirs only one now, would it be too hard to make it so I get more points for that kill? Especially since I have to spend 3 meter for it. As far as I know, I can't use a level one if I have more than 1 meter, but if someone corrected me that would be comforting.

they have said thats the point, most people wont use higher level specials in 1v1, it makes it even more competitive as people are racing to get their level 1s and use them as fast as possible.

http://xat.com/the_brotherhood_of_gaming

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 66 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Sep 26, 2012
I'm not saying the game needs items, I used it as an example from a popular game that this one can most identify with. With nintendos roster, you didn't even need a gamer to know who those characters were. You're grandmother could walk by and at LEAST know the mario side of the roster was, and would probably recognise a few more. Unless you're a gamer, you do not who Big Daddy, Radec, or hell anyone on this roster is. The biggest appeal of party games is that anyone can play it and it's automatically appealing, and so far the appeal of this game is directed at it's characters, so you better be having a party full of gamers, or it isn't going to be very appealing.
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 66 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

Sep 26, 2012
I hope you all know that this game will get bad reviews and be called a Smash rip off unless it brings Crash or Cloud even Spyro to the table.
Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 66 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Sep 26, 2012

zeothedeathgod wrote:

they have said thats the point, most people wont use higher level specials in 1v1, it makes it even more competitive as people are racing to get their level 1s and use them as fast as possible.

But it isn't more competitive if I build up to level one, and try to do a combo into it, but gain too much meter and lose 2 meters for 1 kill. It's a decision that doesn't make sense.

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 66 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Sep 26, 2012

CutiePatutiee wrote:
I hope you all know that this game will get bad reviews and be called a Smash rip off unless it brings Crash or Cloud even Spyro to the table.

I hope you know that's the **bleep**tiest argument i've ever heard.

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 66 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3500 posts

Sep 26, 2012

YMIFlavored wrote:
I'm not saying the game needs items, I used it as an example from a popular game that this one can most identify with. With nintendos roster, you didn't even need a gamer to know who those characters were. You're grandmother could walk by and at LEAST know the mario side of the roster was, and would probably recognise a few more. Unless you're a gamer, you do not who Big Daddy, Radec, or hell anyone on this roster is. The biggest appeal of party games is that anyone can play it and it's automatically appealing, and so far the appeal of this game is directed at it's characters, so you better be having a party full of gamers, or it isn't going to be very appealing.

*facepalm* i know everyone on this roster. I knew like 1/4 of ssbb roster. If you are going have this thread please give acurate info

IT'S MY WAY OR . . . HELL IT'S MY WAY
Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 66 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Sep 26, 2012
I am giving accurate info. I also know everyone on this roster (minus fortesque) because we grew up around the playstation. That wasn't everyones childhood, and that was my point.

Also, i'm going to take a shower, but i'd be happy to have this discussion more when I get back.
Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 66 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
370 posts

Sep 26, 2012

YMIFlavored wrote:
The problem is that when you compare it to smash, you have to realise 2 things. a) Smash characters are characters that almost everyone grew up with. Who grew up with Cole and Radec? No-one they're basically brand new. The only members you can geek out on nostalgia with are Parappa, Spike, Fortesque, Sly, and Jak. That's about it. and B) Smash has enough options to allow you to tweak it to the game you want to play. Want to only use pokeballs? Sure.

I absolutely disagree with this argument... Why the fudge would i want i fighting game based simply on nostalgia? Nintendo's cute little characters dont do anything but annoy me because of all the potential characters that COULD be in but are not because of the likes of Wario or Princess Peach, yoshi, and  all the various clones that offer only a sprite change. I like PSAS roster 100xs better and not only because its clone free. Every character feels unique in the way they build meter. In smash players are unique for the first 40-50% then everyone is the same each one is playing chase with the launched opponent. There is never an instance where youll see radec dishing out close combat combos other than a grab to create distance. But back on topic Id much rather characers that are COOL and capable of holding their own since this is a fighting game than characters that sit unused but are holding a spot for nostalgia. 

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 66 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3716 posts

Sep 26, 2012

YMIFlavored wrote:
I am giving accurate info. I also know everyone on this roster (minus fortesque) because we grew up around the playstation. That wasn't everyones childhood, and that was my point.

Also, i'm going to take a shower, but i'd be happy to have this discussion more when I get back.

well, continuing your other post,

i'd like to say that not everyone grew up with nintendo as well....

Play For Fun!
Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 66 (84 Views)
0 Likes