Fender Bender
2516 posts

Re: What's wrong with 20 characters?

Sep 29, 2012

Digimon Rumble Arena isn't an EVO title. Nor was it produced to be a tournament fighter. It was made the same way Power Stone was; pure, mindless fun. Like a lot of people around here BADUMTISH

To be fair; no, there is no EVO fighter that has had more than 20 characters for its first IP. Mortal Kombat 9 even had 24 characters sans unlock if I remember and thats a current gen title.

Here's an effective list of all (that I can remember) first IP for all EVO titles and playable character lists.

Street Fighter II - 8 characters.

Mortal Kombat 1- 7 characters.

Guilty Gear 1 - 10 Characters (11 with Unlocks)

BlazBlue Calamity Trigger - 12 Characters

Super Smash Bros - 8 Characters (12 with Unlocks)

Soul Edge (Became Soul Calibur) - 10 Characters

Tekken 1 - 8 Characters (18 with Unlocks)

Dead or Alive 1 - 10 Characters (11 with Unlocks)

King of Fighters '94 - 25 Characters

As you can see only one of the above; namely, King of Fighters 94', was able to go over the 20 line with its first IP. King of Fighters '94 is also a crossover game that puts together various franchises; including most of the material from other games.

20 characters for a current day first IP from a company game is, honestly? Legendary. Outstanding. Its already gone beyond the bar. It doesn't need more. If its given more its going to just be overwhelming. The proof is in the numbers.

Message 21 of 94 (161 Views)
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Sep 29, 2012
What's wrong is that of the 20 characters, 2 are the same one. Others like Fat Princess, New Dante and Raiden were not requested. On top of that, several more more important PS characters are missing.

To top it off, we were led to believe that there were more than 20 characters on disc, at launch.
Message 22 of 94 (159 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Sep 29, 2012

MarrowOchi wrote:

Digimon Rumble Arena isn't an EVO title. Nor was it produced to be a tournament fighter. It was made the same way Power Stone was; pure, mindless fun. Like a lot of people around here BADUMTISH

To be fair; no, there is no EVO fighter that has had more than 20 characters for its first IP. Mortal Kombat 9 even had 24 characters sans unlock if I remember and thats a current gen title.

Here's an effective list of all (that I can remember) first IP for all EVO titles and playable character lists.

Street Fighter II - 8 characters.

Mortal Kombat 1- 7 characters.

Guilty Gear 1 - 10 Characters (11 with Unlocks)

BlazBlue Calamity Trigger - 12 Characters

Super Smash Bros - 8 Characters (12 with Unlocks)

Soul Edge (Became Soul Calibur) - 10 Characters

Tekken 1 - 8 Characters (18 with Unlocks)

Dead or Alive 1 - 10 Characters (11 with Unlocks)

King of Fighters '94 - 25 Characters

As you can see only one of the above; namely, King of Fighters 94', was able to go over the 20 line with its first IP. King of Fighters '94 is also a crossover game that puts together various franchises; including most of the material from other games.

20 characters for a current day first IP from a company game is, honestly? Legendary. Outstanding. Its already gone beyond the bar. It doesn't need more. If its given more its going to just be overwhelming. The proof is in the numbers.

A bit exaggerated at the end there, but I agree otherwise.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 23 of 94 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

Sep 29, 2012
Marrow you look stupid, you just compared it to a whole bunch of old games, good going.

Maybe you should be comparing it to such games that came out this year, even next year.

20 characters is horrible.
Message 24 of 94 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Sep 29, 2012

CutiePatutiee wrote:
Marrow you look stupid, you just compared it to a whole bunch of old games, good going.

Maybe you should be comparing it to such games that came out this year, even next year.

Once you show me a new fighting game wtih over 20 characters that are all at least semi-unique (I say semi to give you some leeway) that has come out in the past few years, or even EVER, come back to me.  20's not small when it's a first game.  You don't seem to understand this.  Let me see when the almighty Smash Bros added 20 new characters in one game, and none were clones.  Oh wait, that hasn't happened...

Also, if you're fully against the amount of characters, why are you still here?  You've found out what you've been hoping for this whole time, so you're time is up.  Hell, I'd venture to say that the roster size would've been bad in your eyes no matter how much it was.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 25 of 94 (142 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Sep 29, 2012

CutiePatutiee wrote:

Im starting to believe that your just a rich and spoiled little 12 year old girl who is truly a Nintendo fangirl,appearantly on here,going on about how "bad" this game will be.You keep going on about "20 characters this,20 characters that,I hate this game because it only has 20 characters....but I still go on the forum anyway".You need some fresh air.

Message 26 of 94 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1424 posts

Sep 29, 2012

Blood-Knight7 wrote:
Because people are so **bleep** ungrateful. Nothing ever pleases these types of people.

Yeah I wanted Snake in but i have Sly(my favourite PS2 char) and Raiden.

^ Right here...

I love MGS and Snake but i'll take Raiden and be the best Raiden I can be!.

photo IsaacSig_zps95a635ae.png
Message 27 of 94 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2011 posts

Sep 29, 2012

CutiePatutiee wrote:

To my knowledge, BlazBlue still hasn't hit the 20 character mark (Chronophantasma may do it though), and it's a fairly new and fun fighter. Skullgirls (while a PSN-only title) had 8-9 characters, yet it was still fun to play.

Message 28 of 94 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Sep 29, 2012
There's nothing wrong with 20 characters

Message 29 of 94 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2516 posts

Sep 29, 2012

Oh okay, here's a list of what came out this year.

Street Fighter X Tekken, 38 characters from two separate franchises which has been milked with the addition of 12 more that were on the disc. The game has 200 bucks of content on the disc itself that all had to be paid for. Both franchises have also had a very large running, for quite a long time. They were also on an engine that they've been using for around 4-5 years now, and most of the designs were pretty lackluster at best. I would know, I used to be a graphics art student, and I know when they're half-buttockularing it.

BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend. Continuum Shift itself had 14 characters, and with the DLC additions brings it up to 18 characters. STILL under 20.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2. 60 characters. 50 on release. None of these characters have been made from scratch in terms of moveset. They made arguably 10 models for the game itself.

Skullgirls; an indie game which is arguably the best fighter released this year so far. 8 characters.

Persona 4 Arena. 13 characters, all made in 2d sprites.

Dead or Alive 5, which was released earlier this week. I have it, so I'll go ahead and leak you the entire roster with unlocks. 24 characters. 19 on start. Akira, Sarah, Gen Fu, Pai, and Alpha 152 have to be unlocked.

Would you like for me to continue?

Message 30 of 94 (111 Views)