Dec 20 2012
By: p4nd4st1c First Son 3 posts

What I think of PSABR after playing it for a while now

[ Edited ]
10 replies 358 views Edited Dec 20, 2012

Hey I've been playing the game for a while now (technically about a week or so) and I think it's a great fighting game even though it's somewhat unpolished (freezing issues here and there and somewhat weird glitches in online matches) .  But first a disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER:  I get it, it's a Smash Rip off, whatever, but I think it'll hold out on it's own and I can definitely see this at APEX and maybe hopefully at EVO who knows.  Also, I played quite a bit of characters and yes I do spam like a mother (with Radec, Spike, Nariko, and Kratos) so call me a hypocrite.  I'm fine with that as well, it's your opinion.  I also play mostly quick matches [2v2 with my brother] rather than ranked matches mainly due to personal preference.

Now with THOSE out of the way.

What do I think of the game so far, boy do I have a lot to cover:

-  Easily a lot of crazy tactics for almost every character.  It's quite refreshing, for now there's always something new to find at online battles.  (Especially with surprising characters like Nathan Drake, Sir Daniel, and hell even Heihachi)  And so far we'll see newer strategies and exploits with even weirder characters like maybe Big Daddy and Toro.  So far, no clear top tier besides maybe Raiden, Kratos, and Redac.

- LEVEL 3's are the absolute worst with some characters. [I'm looking at you, SWEET TOOTH]  Seriously, good luck dodging his LvL 3 cause you'll never escape it. 

- Clearly lots of the same characters popping up almost everytime (it's unevitable, cause no one really wants to delve away from what they're used to) like Kratos, Sweeth Tooth, Raiden, Sly Cooper, and Nathan Drake.  Kinda want more variety from other characters like maybe PaRappa, Big Daddy, Toro, and Fat Princess.  Cause if the next few months will be just Raidens and Kratos everywhere, it'll be a very tough few months. 

-  I noticed a really weird glitch where I'd successfully roll behind the opponent in the middle of his throw motion and you can clearly see that I made it but it still gave priority to the throw motion.  It's not so bad but man if this happens more often, I'd seriously need to change my defensive tactics.

-  There's a lot of untapped characters that Sony can choose from their huge catalogue spanning I think more than 15 years especially Crash, Spyro, and Lara Croft.  My suggestion for possible characters (cause there's clearly space in the character selection screen for way more characters)  include the Monkeys from Timesplitters, Maximilian from Dark Cloud 2, and hell even main characters from Persona 3/4 for a good mixture but that won't happen.  I can also see Rayman and maybe the rabbid in there somewhere. 

-  Ranked matches are pretty much non-existent cause you don't match up by skill but rather by who is probably online and waiting for a match as well.  Way too often I'd pair up with someone with less skill than me against two that are masters with their own characters,  easily guaranteeing a loss from the start and an absolute wreck of a match.  I wish for Superbot to tweak the ranked matches to actually resemble some sort of system like Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (with lords and stuff) cause the belt system doesn't really represent how good the player is in the long run. 

Now onto the biggest complaint I have with this game:

-PEOPLE ARE PLAYING THIS LIKE IT'S SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL.  It's beyond stupid because it completely ruins the main playstyle of the actual game.  I am one of the few that actually like Timed battle because it's more of a mind game than Stock and Kill Limits.  Here's my reasoning, with timed battles, it makes you think twice about saving your APs to get the almighty LVL 3 super and makes the game that much more competitive.   STOCK AND KILL LIMITS RUIN IT COMPLETELY,

Since both limit matches don't have a timer, there's no point in the actual competitiveness cause everyone just goes for the instant LVL 3's.  Call me a whiner but it ruins an otherwise fine tuned game style that isn't trying to be Smash.  I guess the only possible solution to this is just to put a timer on stock and kill limits.  So far I'll just have to deal with this, who knows, maybe Superbot might not fix this and I'll just end up getting used to it. 

Thanks for reading this, I just wanted my very long two cents about this game and feel free to say what a troll I am and such.  I'm just stating the obvious and hopefully see this game be welcomed by both the Smash and Fighting Game communities.

Message 1 of 11 (358 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
561 posts

Re: What I think of PSABR after playing it for a while now

Dec 20, 2012

I'm a Sweet Tooth main myself. I rarely see other Sweet Tooth players when I'm playing ranked. I find the most common characters are Drake, Raiden, Kratos, Sly Cooper, and Evil Cole. I'm pretty confident that those 5 also make up the "top tier" characters.

Message 2 of 11 (344 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Dec 20, 2012

i've actually learned the perfect way to survive sweet tooth's level 3.  He almost never kills me with it anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 11 (330 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
632 posts

Dec 20, 2012
What do you mean people are playing the game like it's Smash? While stock mode is popular in the Smash series, the primary mode is the 2 minute FFA whereas All-Stars' primary mode is the 3 minute FFA. Last time I checked, you can't customize a 2 minute FFA in All-Stars.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 11 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
561 posts

Dec 20, 2012

this_is_Marko wrote:

i've actually learned the perfect way to survive sweet tooth's level 3.  He almost never kills me with it anymore

Yea...just stay close to him and dodge when necessary. Sweetbot's attacks are extremely telegraphed and slow.

Message 5 of 11 (306 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
722 posts

Dec 20, 2012
People don't go for the instant level 3's at all really in my games. I main Parappa, one of the people who has an instant kill 3 and I only use it on large maps against agile players who I might not catch with the skateboard.
Message 6 of 11 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Dec 20, 2012
Radec... top tier? I sincerely hope you were joking Smiley Happy
------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 7 of 11 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Dec 20, 2012
Also.. how the hell can you even play this game like Smash??
------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 8 of 11 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2434 posts

Dec 20, 2012

You're not supposed to escape Level 3's.

Message 9 of 11 (212 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Hey maybe I was at the wrong mind set at the time when I was writing this.  Now that I think about it, I guess I was too caught up with the Smash vs. Playstation feud and to be honest I don't really care.  It's just that most of my matches end up being either stock or limit matches with a few timed matches far in between.  [Consider that I mostly play quick matches instead of ranked matches cause of the 2v2 aspect and me always getting ridiculously mismatched ranked matches so go figure]

That being said, I still hate not having time for stock and kill limits because it drags on for quite a while and the opponents just resolve to hoarding APs.  But then again maybe I'm looking at it all wrong so who knows, maybe that's how I'm suppose to play it. 

And yeah, I'm thinking Radec wouldn't probably top tier cause most of the maps aren't to his favour especially the little big planet/buzz one.  I just like using him [when I lose with Nariko]  and so far I'm still using different characters to get better with.

Long reply, thanks for reading, and nice banner. Smiley Happy

P.S. Still think Scorpions better

Message 10 of 11 (163 Views)
0 Likes