Sep 18 2012
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Week 3: Are Two Coles Too Many?

34 replies 239 views Edited Sep 18, 2012

Well, it's Monday, and you know what that means! *Unzips pants* Wait, why are you looking at me like tha-OH CRAP! OH GOD MY BAD!

So for today's thread, I'm going to touch on one of the most fiery debates...well, at least it was fiery about a month ago. I'll just jump right into the question (congrats to Slayer on getting the winning question!):

"Hero" and "InFamous" Cole Macgrath caused quite a stir in the communities and outside of it when it was revealed that both were in the game as separate characters. Personally I see it as a great way to represent the series as they really are two different characters with different looks, personalities, moves and "Karma". Both those characters have their own view on how thing's should be dealt with and aren't a simple re-color/palette swap, you can't say that InFamous Cole is simply red Cole because he's not. With that said, after having seen both videos of both versions of Coles, where do you stand on the matter? Have you played the InFamous series to be able to judge whether it was a good idea? Did your thoughts change when seeing how different both played and acted when revealed? What would you have done differently? Would you have limited Cole Macgrath to his neutral state? Do you think the InFamous series is getting special attention for including two different characters or do you think it's the perfect way to represent the series and it's "Karma" choices as well as the plot/game-play?

At first, I only accepted Evil Cole on the concept that he was going to be a choice you made after selecting Cole, kind of like choosing which Pokemon you wanted Pokemon Trainer to start with in Brawl. After seeing him in action, let me get two things out of the way:
1. Evil Cole does NOT waste a slot.
2. Good Cole is, if anybody, the waste here.

Evil Cole completely in every way blows Good Cole out of the water as a fighter. His moves seem to blend more, his Supers are better as a whole (although Good Cole's lvl2 is still great), and Good Cole just seems much more passive in comparison (which makes sense, as that's essentially how he is in the games). Hell, SuperBot seems to have put so much effort into making these characters as far from clones as possible, specifically to pacify fans' complaints before they even happened. My only issue is that Evil Cole makes much more use of his secondary ability, fire, when compared to Good Cole, who has barely any moves that make use of ice. This may be some deliberate deception on SuperBot's part (they could reveal Good Cole as just Cole and then reveal Evil Cole later as a modified Cole, which is what they essentially did).

That said, I think both versions are just as deserving of entry. I'm not necessarily fully supportive of having two of the same character, because it's still a bit of a shady concept, but since it's the only way to do Cole justice, I've come to accept it. I haven't played inFamous 2, so I really don't have much of an idea of how much inFamous 1's Good/Evil differences were magnified, but I know that they were, and that it was exponential. Looking at the Coles in PSASBR, you actually get a good grip on just how different they actually are. Including a neutral Cole instead of having both Good and Evil definitely does not do the series justice, and inFamous is unique in this aspect out of the game's current roster. There is no Evil Sackboy, Ratchet, Kratos, etc., that are essentially different characters like Cole. Is inFamous getting special treatment? Yes, but considering inFamous is special in itself, I can't say SuperBot made the wrong decision.

In reality, we're still not sure how Evil and Good Cole are implemented into the game, outside of the gameplay itself, so we can't really say whether they're necessarily wastes yet. We really don't have a good idea of whether they have different stories or "slots" on the character select screen (we can't assume they're automatically getting a separate slot because of non-final demo videos), for example. From what it seems, Evil Cole, although he's a completely different character in his own right, may still be that same-slot alternate character; look at how he was revealed as "Evil Cole MacGrath" when Good Cole was just "Cole MacGrath" for possible evidence. It's almost as if they're Fraternal Clones: They may share the same character slot or in-game story but are completely different (as compared to a regular clone, where they don't share a slot, but they're essentially the same).

If they are, in fact, Fraternal Clones, I'm sure some people will complain that SuperBot was lazy and decided not to give Evil Cole his own story or slot, but those people will be the same people that complained that Evil Cole was definitely a waste without giving him a shot and the benefit of the doubt; Hell, I don't doubt people will complain if they're still completely different characters, so no matter what SuperBot will get flak for its decision. However, at this point I don't think we can truly determine whether as a whole these two characters are a wasted opportunity, because we only know one facet of them. Right now I can say that, going by gameplay alone, two Coles is just fine.

As usual, keep the discussion going below, and be sure to comment with some questions for next week's thread!

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 35 (239 Views)
I Only Post Everything
967 posts

Re: Week 3: Are Two Coles Too Many?

Sep 18, 2012

Two coles are not too many. Evil cole is not a wasted slot.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 35 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

Sep 18, 2012
I really don't care if they play completely different (which they do it seems) I still think it's really lame that they cut Cole into two separate characters... It wastes a spot for another COMPLETELY new character.
Message 3 of 35 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
497 posts

Sep 18, 2012

I think the inFamous series is represented perfectly with both Coles

and he is not a wasted slot

photo Deadpool_zpsa17e78d8.gif
Message 4 of 35 (225 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
967 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 18, 2012

HeathenAmerico wrote:
I really don't care if they play completely different (which they do it seems) I still think it's really lame that they cut Cole into two separate characters... It wastes a spot for another COMPLETELY new character.

But evil cole and good cole ARE two separate characters. Pretty much.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 35 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Sep 18, 2012

HeathenAmerico wrote:

That is going under the assumption that Evil Cole was the first thing they thought of.  For all we know, maybe Evil Cole was their last idea.  We can't definitively say that Evil Cole was a waste when they may have had Wander, Tomba, Croc, Gex, et al. in before him and they didn't work out.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 6 of 35 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Sep 18, 2012

i actually think i would have preferred one neutral cole but with alternate costumes.  i was a little disappointed to see that none of his supers on either good or evil cole use electricity even though thats what he's famous for.  i really wanted his level 3 to be the huge controllable lightning bolt from the first game

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 35 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

Sep 18, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

HeathenAmerico wrote:

That is going under the assumption that Evil Cole was the first thing they thought of.  For all we know, maybe Evil Cole was their last idea.  We can't definitively say that Evil Cole was a waste when they may have had Wander, Tomba, Croc, Gex, et al. in before him and they didn't work out.

That's not my point (on which came first) my point is that it's one less character in this game who isn't Cole. I don't care if all those failed, try someone else. Another version of the same character, to me, is pointless. I mean even story-wise... We are suppose to believe that all these characters got sucked out of their worlds into this one... So now there are two Coles? So what is it now an alternate reality of both universe? It just seems lazy to me. Might have been cool as an unlockable or alternate costume or something but... Meh. I don't care much for him.

Message 8 of 35 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2383 posts

Sep 18, 2012

HeathenAmerico wrote:

this i feel the same way

Monkey D. Luffy (one piece) "I'm the man who's going to be the Pirate King!"
Guts (berserk) " I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. "
Message 9 of 35 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1540 posts

Sep 18, 2012
i think its good to have 2 because 1 they play very differently from what ive seen and 2 in the games neither is more important than the other
Message 10 of 35 (189 Views)