Sep 11 2012
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Week 2: Roster Size

[ Edited ]
21 replies 356 views Edited Sep 11, 2012

This week I'm going to follow a theme, and that theme is Characters.

I got an interesting question on last Monday's post, and it's been in the back of my mind since then. Every time I think about it, my opinion flip-flops more than Mitt Romney's political views (well, it hasn't actually changed, but I always do find ways to question my stance). First, let me show you guys the question (from Chaosdreams):

"If given the choice between two options, the first having thirty characters in the final roster (no dlc) which included the current roster plus more niche characters derived from lesser known titles, smaller fanbases and the jrpg market. Yet did not include Crash, Spyro, Cloud and Sora. Or the second option, a roster size of only fifteen characters but you were given the honor of picking all fifteen from your personal desire (no dlc). Which would you choose?

Keeping in mind that one might please many and disappoint some, while another might please few and disappoint many. I'm being a little vague this time around because I know what my answer would be, I want to see what yours is this time without any guidelines. Thank you in advance if you choose to answer this question.

I think you'll have fun once you start thinking about the implications the decision might cause."

I'd choose the former choice, where the current roster was supported by 10 niche characters. My reasoning is simply that I'm satisfied with the current roster as-is. I can deal without Crash, Spyro, Cloud, etc., especially if there are ten characters that have much more to gain from representation in this game. Imagine if Dart gets in this game, gains popularity, and gets the sequel that every fan of his has begged for for the past decade. While I can agree that Crash has as little to lose as Dart, but Dart has infinitely-more of an upside.

One could argue that someone like Cloud has a lot to gain from a game like this, but in all honesty he doesn't. Square Enix will not create the FFVII HD that everyone wants because of his already-guaranteed popularity in an unrelated game. SE has already explained its exact stance on FFVII HD, and I don't think they'd consider leaving the door open on it again, not with them trying to push other characters. I can see Cloud in this game, but I can't see SE doing anything past this game with Cloud (in the foreseeable future). When you compare it to some of the niche characters like, say, Sir Dan, who could easily get a sequel if Sony sees that he's popular in PSAS, Cloud's near-zero chance of getting anything out of this game (more than what he already had) is, well, near-zero.

The one issue that comes out of even the current All-Stars roster is the name of the game. People are constantly arguing that "This can't be PlayStation All-Stars without the stars." Imagine the uproar that would be brought forth if 10 relatively-unknown characters are thrown in the fray, but without anchors like Crash or Cloud to hold fans up. Personally, All-Stars is nothing more than a name to me. I've brought up the point before that Super Smash Bros isn't just Mario and Luigi fighting to save Princess Peach. It's full of characters that have absolutely nothing to do with Mario. And then there's my oft-spoken stance about how an All-Star team never has all of the stars, and that someone's always left out; even on the 1992 Dream Team this holds true. As-is, every character currently important to PlayStation is represented (and then some), and only five past third party characters are really missing (you know who they are). If 10 more characters are added, who's to say that they don't become All-Stars because of this game? Is that not a secondary point of this game's creation, to make Sony money and push series over the hump and into massive popularity?

I also had one thing clarified for me when Chaos asked the question. With this roster, there would be no clones, and the characters' quality would not drop with a bigger roster. How can I in my right mind be selfish and choose only 15 characters when my roster needs are satiated and then some with the current 20-man roster? And then there are 10 more well-crafted characters that I could fall in love with for all I know! That's more important to me personally than getting a few wash-ups in a small roster. For me, the decision is simple, but I find ways to question why I hold my stance. And isn't that the best type of opinion, one you can continue to find ways to question and justify every time?

Now here's my question, guys.  Since I can't Poll on this forum, I'll do it the old-fashioned way:

What would you choose?

Large roster of current roster less-important characters

Small roster entirely of your choice

Now, this poll is a multifaceted one. As I said earlier, this week I'll focus on characters, but I need somewhere to start. Today I'll ask you guys which reveal I should focus on tomorrow.

So which set of characters would you like me to talk about tomorrow?

One of the first six characters
One of the E3 reveals
One of the EVO reveals
One of the SDCC reveals
One of the Gamescon reveals
One of the PAX reveals

For your responses to this poll, just copy the answers you'd choose (preferably word for word), and then bold/underline it so that I can easily tally it up.  Then you can explain your answer if you wish.

As usual, let me know which you'd choose, and don't forget to ask questions for next Monday's question! I've been getting some good ones, but usually only from two or three people, and I know you guys can do better than that!

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 22 (356 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Re: Week 2: Roster Size

Sep 11, 2012
Definitely large roster. In all truthfulness I would be happy to have this game with the current roster, everyone else is just icing. Also, as you said even in a large roster of characters you might not like, you will find more that are fun and your style.
Also, I might not pick crash if I could choose only 15 and then everyone would hate me xD

As always, nicely written post! Keep it up.
Sorry don't know how to bold on mobile but larger roster is my choice.

Message 2 of 22 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1540 posts

Sep 11, 2012
id go with the 15
Message 3 of 22 (292 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
832 posts

Sep 11, 2012

I would choose the small roster that is entirely up to me every time.

Message 4 of 22 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 11, 2012

wobbleSPLAT wrote:
Definitely large roster. In all truthfulness I would be happy to have this game with the current roster, everyone else is just icing. Also, as you said even in a large roster of characters you might not like, you will find more that are fun and your style.
Also, I might not pick crash if I could choose only 15 and then everyone would hate me xD

That's alright.  As long as I can clearly understand what your answer is, I'm okay with it.  The bold was just in case somebody mentions their answer in the middle of a post while I'm counting up the votes.

Also, feldspar/shanker, why do you choose 15?  Is it just because of one or two characters, or do you just not like many of the current characters?

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 5 of 22 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5278 posts

Sep 11, 2012

I like the roster as is and would welcome obscure characters, but I would honestly take them all away for crash and spyro added onto the current roster if it were my choice

#ProtectorProgramme
Message 6 of 22 (278 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1424 posts

Sep 11, 2012

I say larger roster all day im perfectly happy with the roster right now.. lesser known characters are just a sweet bonus

By the way nice thread as always DP.

photo IsaacSig_zps95a635ae.png
Message 7 of 22 (266 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Sep 11, 2012

I'd want the larger roster. My smaller one would consist of a bunch of characters, that while well known, certainly wouldn't appeal to everyone. 

Besides I'm really happy with the roster as it stands right now. I'd buy the game with just this 20 and no dlc plan. I'm very thankful that we get more though. I'm guessing about four or so. So adding 10 more chars would just make me incredibly happy.

Message 8 of 22 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Sep 11, 2012

id go with the 30 if by my understanding it could be any 10 other characters? that still leads the way for kazuma, still a FF rep, other things, musashi and a bunch of others. Id have to go with the 30. which ive been saying since the start, say activision asks for like $100,000 to use crash, meanwhile sony could ge tlike 8 other characters for the same price, what would you honestly choose? (just an example)

http://xat.com/the_brotherhood_of_gaming

Message 9 of 22 (262 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
832 posts

Sep 11, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

wobbleSPLAT wrote:

That's alright.  As long as I can clearly understand what your answer is, I'm okay with it.  The bold was just in case somebody mentions their answer in the middle of a post while I'm counting up the votes.

Also, feldspar/shanker, why do you choose 15?  Is it just because of one or two characters, or do you just not like many of the current characters?

A combination of both. There are a lot of characters in the roster that I'm indifferent about and, if given the chance, would swap for others that I feel are more deserving even if it meant a reduced roster size. Also, many of the more deserving characters are very popular and well-known which would automatically have them out of the running for the larger roster. Finally, we all know that Sony won't be able to get a lot of third party characters, partly because they want to rep themselves first and partly because other companies will ask for too much or outright refuse. If given the chance, I would choose a bunch of third party characters for the smaller roster, knowing how important they were to the PS brand and how difficult it would be to have them all under normal circumstances.

Message 10 of 22 (254 Views)
0 Likes