Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Re: We do not need a Team ICO rep...

Sep 25, 2012

first off let me start by saying i've never played ICO (a shame really) but shadow of the colossus is one of my favorite games of all time.  it was so thought provoking.  superbot said that when they put a character in, they try and capture their essence.  that being said i'm not sure if the essence of wanderer could be captured in a game like PSASBR.  please hear me out before you all start raging at me.

Team ICO described wanderer as "not a swordsman but a man with a sword".  there actually is a world a difference.  a swordsman is one who is trained and skilled with a sword.  a man with a sword is just as it sounds.  he most likely has no training or extreme skill with the weapon but has picked it up for his journey for some reason or another.  in the case of wanderer, it is because he is so consumed with the idea of bringing the girl back to life that he doesn't care that he is slaying innocent creatures.  he's just a common man with a single drive, not a warrior.  the essence of his character that derives from an idea like this would be so hard to produce in a game like PSASBR.  he only carries only a sword and a bow, meaning is moveset (other than his supers) may not be too varied.  that simplicity just made so much sense in SoTC but may not translate well here

I certainly believe this game should be represented as a stage where you fight on a colossus or near colossi but i actually don't think i would want wanderer in out of respect for his character

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 21 of 34 (132 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1273 posts

Sep 25, 2012

Well cross over games can reflect the game where originally came from. Like Sackboy is no fighter yet his moves reflects upon him in his game.

"I'm watching you in the shadows........nah im right next to ya"
Message 22 of 34 (120 Views)
Fender Bender
3500 posts

Sep 25, 2012
Don't like ICO or Shadow of Colossus so I don't care if we get one or not
IT'S MY WAY OR . . . HELL IT'S MY WAY
Message 23 of 34 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1582 posts

Sep 25, 2012
We DO need a Team Ico rep. Maybe even two.
Message 24 of 34 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Sep 25, 2012

n0rmal94 wrote:

Well cross over games can reflect the game where originally came from. Like Sackboy is no fighter yet his moves reflects upon him in his game.

its also the fact that shadow of the colossus is art.  it really is more than a video game.  thats more the essence i'm talking about.  sackboy is meant to be silly.

Message 25 of 34 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1273 posts

Sep 25, 2012

this_is_Marko wrote:

n0rmal94 wrote:

its also the fact that shadow of the colossus is art.  it really is more than a video game.  thats more the essence i'm talking about.  sackboy is meant to be silly.

Well, will see who makes it in when the game comes out. I have faith in Superbot Smiley Happy
"I'm watching you in the shadows........nah im right next to ya"
Message 26 of 34 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Sep 25, 2012

n0rmal94 wrote:

this_is_Marko wrote:

n0rmal94 wrote:

Well, will see who makes it in when the game comes out. I have faith in Superbot Smiley Happy

don't get me wrong.  i love both games

Message 27 of 34 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
320 posts

Sep 25, 2012
He may not be "a swordsman" but he is a killer. Plus, he has a pretty incredible amount of agility ( even at the beginning ) to really describe him as a "a common man".

Whether or not Wander is as good with swords as Dante, Kratos, Nariko, Sir Dan, and Raiden doesn't mean he can't work as a playable character. He has a multitude of other movements that can compensate for his inexperience. Like, what if he was a fast character with slow attacks? Everytime he went in to a sword swinging animation it looked really unpracticed. If the representation is faithful, how is his inclusion as a playable character disrespectful?

I just have to disagree. Having a "man with a sword" character would be very interesting. He may not be a textbook warrior, but he does fight and kill. So it's not as far a cry as you think.

It's like saying Kratos shouldn't be in this game because none of the characters are gods. Or Spike shouldn't because there are no monkeys to catch.
Message 28 of 34 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
250 posts

Sep 25, 2012

I thought about this too once, actually. Ico/Yorda would be an unlikely fighter (but if they were in, it'd have to be as a pair and use a really creative mix or baiting shadows to attack players or something) but Wander would fit in fine. Honestly, it's not really up to the original devs... the games are very artful but they're owned by Sony and Sony can stick them in if they see fit. If they are in, I really doubt it'll ruin the image of these games. 

Message 29 of 34 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Sep 25, 2012

i'm not sure people are understanding exactly what i mean.  forget i said anything

Message 30 of 34 (59 Views)
0 Likes