Reply
Survivor
Registered: 08/08/2012
Offline
2571 posts
 

Re: Wanting Kat is Hypocritical

Sep 20, 2012

I agree I don't see why she's so popular, I guess she's popular to a small crowd of weird people who think she's hot (She's like 15 guys that's a bit strange) and I never have heard of her before ever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 21 of 86 (400 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 08/31/2012
Offline
277 posts
 

Re: Wanting Kat is Hypocritical

Sep 20, 2012
Yeah I totally agree. I think I'll just post my rant from the other day. That said, I'd like the Vita to succeed, and promoting Kat probably won't hurt that. Still I pretty much agree.
I wrote (in the recent Fat Princess thread):

I just don't think she should be in the game. She has one downloadable game to her name, and many hadn't heard of her before AllStars. She's certainly not a playstation allstar.

 

I understand a playstation allstar as someone like Crash or Spyro. Fat Princess doesn't meet the criteria that they do, and I personally wish all the characters in this game had to meet those criteria. I wish that characters weren't being put in this game for the sake of capitalism, and that they were simply being put in for nostalgia and for celebration.

 

Crash, Spyro, Abe, Lara Croft, Cloud, Dr. Don & Dr. Dan, Parappa the Rapper, Gabe Logan, Raziel, Sweet Tooth, Spike, Sir Dan, Heihachi / Jin, Solid Snake, Tomba (well that's a personal one hehe), Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Ico, Wander, Sly Cooper, Sev / Jan / A Helghast, Nathan Drake, Cole McGrath, Kratos, Nathan Hale / A Chimera, Sackboy, Toro Inoue.

 

It should just be characters from games that defined the platform exclusively and / or that have their roots on the platform. They could have taken more than one character from each of the respective games above.

 

Big Daddy, Dante and Fat Princess should not be in this game. The first two were generation defining characters, the latter is just a non-entity.

 

Also I'd hesitate to give Nariko and Kat spots. Heavenly Sword, like Enslaved was excellent storywise but as a game it wasn't the best. The reason people might associate it strongly with playstation is because it was advertised as a close to launch title but I don't think anyone really fell in love during or after playing it. It's the marketing alone that makes it iconic if you ask me, which just isn't enough.

 

As for Kat, I knew her about as much as I did Fat Princess, and while I've heard very good things about her game she still seems to me like she hasn't earned her stripes; she's just too recent and it feels like she's in the game solely for promotional reasons.


 




Message 22 of 86 (383 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 07/13/2012
Offline
273 posts
 

Re: Wanting Kat is Hypocritical

Sep 20, 2012

Bladecatcher77 wrote:
Yeah I totally agree. I think I'll just post my rant from the other day. That said, I'd like the Vita to succeed, and promoting Kat probably won't hurt that. Still I pretty much agree.
I wrote (in the recent Fat Princess thread):

I just don't think she should be in the game. She has one downloadable game to her name, and many hadn't heard of her before AllStars. She's certainly not a playstation allstar.

 

I understand a playstation allstar as someone like Crash or Spyro. Fat Princess doesn't meet the criteria that they do, and I personally wish all the characters in this game had to meet those criteria. I wish that characters weren't being put in this game for the sake of capitalism, and that they were simply being put in for nostalgia and for celebration.

 

Crash, Spyro, Abe, Lara Croft, Cloud, Dr. Don & Dr. Dan, Parappa the Rapper, Gabe Logan, Raziel, Sweet Tooth, Spike, Sir Dan, Heihachi / Jin, Solid Snake, Tomba (well that's a personal one hehe), Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Ico, Wander, Sly Cooper, Sev / Jan / A Helghast, Nathan Drake, Cole McGrath, Kratos, Nathan Hale / A Chimera, Sackboy, Toro Inoue.

 

It should just be characters from games that defined the platform exclusively and / or that have their roots on the platform. They could have taken more than one character from each of the respective games above.

 

Big Daddy, Dante and Fat Princess should not be in this game. The first two were generation defining characters, the latter is just a non-entity.

 

Also I'd hesitate to give Nariko and Kat spots. Heavenly Sword, like Enslaved was excellent storywise but as a game it wasn't the best. The reason people might associate it strongly with playstation is because it was advertised as a close to launch title but I don't think anyone really fell in love during or after playing it. It's the marketing alone that makes it iconic if you ask me, which just isn't enough.

 

As for Kat, I knew her about as much as I did Fat Princess, and while I've heard very good things about her game she still seems to me like she hasn't earned her stripes; she's just too recent and it feels like she's in the game solely for promotional reasons.


 


Well put. Yeah Fat Princess I'd argue more against if she wasn't in the game from the get go, for some reason that changes me wanting her. Now she just seems like the character who if you want a non-violent game charcater you say "Well, they do have Fat Princess". I agree with almost everything you said except Dante, he was a huge character on PS2 and definitely deserves a spot, but it should however be regular Dante.

Message 23 of 86 (371 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 07/25/2012
Offline
873 posts
 

Re: Wanting Kat is Hypocritical

Sep 20, 2012

You had me agreeing with you (somewhat up) up until you said that Emmet would be more  uniqe then Kat. Kat controls gravity. She could throw people and items, she can slide kick and perform some pretty awesome kick combos, and she can summon black holes, dash through people. From what I've heard you have only seen Kat in passing and not played her game while you are a starhawks fan. 

     It is fine to like one franchise over another but for you to put down the merit of Kat as an all star is biased and immature. I thought this was going to be a a conversation about the actions of the forum members not an arguement over what charecter you think is best. 

Message 24 of 86 (359 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 08/10/2012
Offline
854 posts
 

Re: Wanting Kat is Hypocritical

[ Edited ]
Sep 20, 2012

Though Kat and Fat Princess may not be the top of the top when it comes to Playstation's great legacy of characters, they are part of the legacy. Fat Princess has proven that you don't have to be popular to be an enjoyable character as many nay-sayers have raved over her in the beta.

 

Characters like FP and Kat also create a wider appeal, reaching out into the nooks and crannies of Playstation fans. I know I, personally, would not have been as interested in this game as I am now if it weren't for Fat Princess. Am I a minority? Absolutely, but I'm one more person who is interested because of her inclusion, and I am not the only one. Kat would do the same for an even larger audience

 

Bottom line; Less popular characters may not be "All-Stars", but they are stars in their own right. To say they don't deserve a spot, in my opinion, is way too harsh.

 

(Also to say Nariko is a stretch makes me think you have something against female characters. You are the only person I've ever heard of thinking Nariko doesn't belong.)

Message 25 of 86 (356 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 07/09/2012
Offline
832 posts
 

Re: Wanting Kat is Hypocritical

Sep 20, 2012

I don't have a problem with Kat, I think she would be a good addition. The real problem is people wanting Kat and not wanting other characters who are on the same level or more just because they are human and/or gun characters. That's a BS reason not to want a character. People are then just showing the general bias of wanting goofy/unique characters at the expense of other characters who have an equal or even higher claim to be in the game. There are countless ways to make characters stand out from others. I've seen amazing movesets in this forum alone, imagine what devs who get paid to come up with them can do. Human or not, gun wielding or not, if a character deserves to be in the game, than that's all that matters.

 

The tip of the iceberg in this case would be people not wanting Lara Croft cuz they think she would be a clone of Nathan Drake and/or because she's another human and gun character.

Message 26 of 86 (348 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/30/2011
Offline
2036 posts
 

Re: Wanting Kat is Hypocritical

Sep 20, 2012

Level_Code wrote:

peartboyz wrote:

You generalized the forum quite a bit here.

I for one, Don't demand charecters burried in PS past. I am against emmet beccause he would be a shooter human (like so many other shooters in this game) and I love new dante. Kat is diversity, alot of the old charecters bring diversity. No one wants to see this game turn into a gun fest and no one wants to see it be a cartoon only party game. I think Kat adds diversity to the cast because or her charecter design and power set. Emmet graves would be interesting as a fighter but I can't see him differentiating from shooters enough. 


Well it seems the general concensous is that people want Kat, but I still don't see why. Smash Bros didn't bring any characters frin games that just came out, it just doesn't feel right. They did however bring an Electroplankton stage and that felt unfitting and was one of the worst stages. 

 

Emmet would not be just another shooter. He would have a way cooler attack base than kat, he could drop walls to block people, drop turrets that shoot people, use the hover bike like wario's motorcycle and use his arsenal of weapons as well. His level 1 could be a multiplayer spawn pod falling in front of his, his level 2 could be an anti-air turret spawning and him shooting it like Nariko's canon and his 3 would obviously be a warhawk spawning and his blowing the crap out of everything. But despite how awesome he would be, if they want to properly make this game how it should be, he should not have a spot over all the characters who were on PS2 and PS1.


have you ever played Gravity Rush? If you did, you would know why so many people want her in the game.  

(BTW watching gameplay footages or playing the demo isn't enough)

Message 27 of 86 (328 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 06/30/2012
Offline
846 posts
 

Re: Wanting Kat is Hypocritical

Sep 20, 2012

The reason is that most people don't agree that Dante, Raiden and Big Daddy are pointless.

Message 28 of 86 (327 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 08/31/2012
Offline
277 posts
 

Re: Wanting Kat is Hypocritical

[ Edited ]
Sep 20, 2012

COS-117 wrote:

Though Kat and Fat Princess may not be the top of the top when it comes to Playstation's great legacy of characters, they are part of the legacy. Fat Princess has proven that you don't have to be popular to be an enjoyable character as many nay-sayers have raved over her in the beta.

 

Characters like FP and Kat also create a wider appeal, reaching out into the nooks and crannies of Playstation fans. I know I, personally, would not have been as interested in this game as I am now if it weren't for Fat Princess. Am I a minority? Absolutely, but I'm one more person who is interested because of her inclusion, and I am not the only one. Kat would do the same for an even larger audience

 

Bottom line; Less popular characters may not be "All-Stars", but they are stars in their own right. To say they don't deserve a spot, in my opinion, is way too harsh.

 

(Also to say Nariko is a stretch makes me think you have something against female characters. You are the only person I've ever heard of thinking Nariko doesn't belong.)


 

Absolutely nothing against female characters. I mentioned in my rant that they could take more than one character from a game, and certainly there'd be plenty of girls to choose from there. I mean, do you understand my argument against Nariko?

 

As for Dante, like I said, he was a generation defining character. Dmc was on most platforms, and most people know who Dante is. I'm just a bit iffy associating him too much with playstation.




Message 29 of 86 (322 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/25/2011
Offline
2440 posts
 

Re: Wanting Kat is Hypocritical

Sep 20, 2012

COS-117 wrote:

What Kat lacks in history she makes up for in character and potential.


This, remember that this game is also about Playstation's future.

Message 30 of 86 (308 Views)
Reply
0 Likes