Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Re: Topic: dantes bold cancel

Jan 2, 2013
even tho i've been playing dante since release i refuse to use bold cancel into lvl 1 WHY?
because i cant do it 99% of the time
the only time i can do it is in practice
but i agree its lame when its use like 4-5 times in a row
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 11 of 25 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3755 posts

Jan 2, 2013
I can bold cancel, but I don't use it so I'm rusty . Plus Dante has two easier level one setups. One I was practicing yesterday the other is ginta's
Message 12 of 25 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
398 posts

Jan 2, 2013

RikkiRossTheBoss wrote:
@red ring
The actually move 'bold cancel' is awesome, Dante is one of my mains now but what am saying is that fact that it breaks the delaying time when done in a certain way is wrong. You can bold cancel into anything you want but because it breaks the delay speed of the level 1 coming out so it KC's is wrong there should still be that delay on it but still be able to use the bold cancel

I agree with Rikki Ross on this one. When I played the one Dante using bold cancel it always confirmed into his level 1 so I could never escape it.

Message 13 of 25 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6400 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 2, 2013

I can't really bold cancel well. I know how to do it but I can only pull it off in pracrice mode, and even then mess up, which is why I found another way Dante can confirm his level 1. I play Sackboy though, but I do have knowledge on how to use it. Now whether or not I support it is

Message 14 of 25 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
240 posts

Jan 2, 2013

Okay, so verbatim maj calls it advanced dante trickery and even featured a tutorial on his combovid site.

https://twitter.com/combovid

Just scroll down and ctrl + f "empty", you'll find it.

Technically seth called it dirty in the same sentence he said "ftw", so you're free to take that however you want. The designers are the type to adapt to tech that is found.

Message 15 of 25 (118 Views)
Survivor
2454 posts

Jan 2, 2013
@ginta
Kudos to a patched sackboy main Smiley Happy (very rare I think)

See this was my point but everyone just went aggressive on me on alyas thread lol.
Message 16 of 25 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2454 posts

Jan 2, 2013
@red_ring

Thank you for your input btw. Don't mean to sound a jerk but it angers me how the community hear are so quick to judge so I just fire off guns (which never happened for months when I joined) but just kind of grown on me because everyone can be @rsy. I do it without even realising
Message 17 of 25 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Jan 2, 2013
Just want to throw in a little bit:

As was pointed out, the developers are behind this tactic.

Secondly, Bold canceling is also a trait seen in MVC3's Dante, which you may know that Seth Killian and Clockwork worked on (Not sure about Maj, but I know he played it extensively).

Next, the official strategy guides are not often correct, especially for fighting games. In the best cases, they get outdated (Like the UMVC3 guide), in some cases they lack some information but are otherwise good (SCV strategy guide which had incorrect frame data at some points.) and some are just plain wrong (Super Smash Brothers Brawl). I don't know which category this one falls under as I didn't waste money on it, but the fact that it doesn't mention bold canceling means nothing.

Finally and possibly most importantly, Dante's not actually a good character... First off, like every other character with a hit confirm in the game, he needs to build meter prior to hitting you with a super combo (At most he can build 80 off of the bold cancel combo before going into level 1, which is about the same as Fat Princess; maybe a little less even. Not sure what Pb's setup is.). He is horrendously unsafe against block, and anyone with range and/or super armor makes his life miserable. Oh, and he can't bold cancel if you block the attack, so no getting away free. Basically to do the usual bold cancel into level 1 combo, he has to hit you with a neutral square while you are on the ground and if you block he gets hit by a full combo.
Yeah, that sounds way better than say, Good Cole's completely safe tether hit confirm, or his safe slide hit confirm, or Evil Cole's Up throw hit confirm, or his Giga Punch hit confirm, or Raiden's 8 hit confirms, or Ratchet's grab>super, etc.
I'm just saying that on the list of hit confirmed supers, the bold cancel is one of the hardest to execute and one of the most punishable. (Again, I don't know what the other ones he has are so can't comment on those.)

Honestly, as Sackboy you may have had a rougher time as well since I think he might actually be decent in that matchup, but I'm not sure on that.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 18 of 25 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
561 posts

Jan 2, 2013

Red_Ring_Ryko wrote:

Okay, so verbatim maj calls it advanced dante trickery and even featured a tutorial on his combovid site.

https://twitter.com/combovid

Just scroll down and ctrl + f "empty", you'll find it.

Technically seth called it dirty in the same sentence he said "ftw", so you're free to take that however you want. The designers are the type to adapt to tech that is found.

Thanks for putting this issue to rest. I'm glad to hear the bold cancels will be staying. Honestly, I think they are quite fair considering Dante's weaknesses.

Message 19 of 25 (89 Views)
Wastelander
673 posts

Jan 3, 2013

Yea I thought the term in the books "bold cancel" is just the transition from on button scheme to another and the red sprite flashe. And then the Wave dash like input of up triangle, back circle, to forward whatever was "empty cancel" Then when perfected into up/back tri, forward cir, to whatever. I personaly call that "X canceling" (I have my reasons for that)

==========================================================
Join ___Night FFAs (haven't decided on a day yet). HIgh Level FFA and 2V2 with Team AXcel. PLAY..LOSE..RAGE..PLAY..LAUGH..RESPECT, GGs. photo 54cce362-3381-425f-bf19-f430528cde96_zps7d13f457.jpg
Message 20 of 25 (69 Views)
0 Likes