Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Gaming Beast
1746 posts

Re: Tips for dealing with Drakes?

Jan 25, 2013
Oh my god! People actually KNOW how to deal with a barrel?! I thought that everyone just complained about how OP and undodgable it was!
Message 11 of 25 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1622 posts

Jan 25, 2013
@dragonsroc most people do just call it op even though its not even close to being op by any stretch of the imagination.
Message 12 of 25 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
818 posts

Jan 25, 2013
Suck less.
Message 13 of 25 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
75 posts

Jan 25, 2013

A cornered Drake is a dangerous thing. It is simply because you can't get behind him as he has options covering for his front such as barrel to counter zoners, grenade launcher to prevent aerial attacks, grenades for pressure, and his close range arsonal, with the magnum to repel intruders along with zipline and rope swing to get away from people like Rachet and Raiden (prepatch) who like grabs... You can see why Drake does well at keep-away. 

Barrel spamming Drakes are not that much of a problem but expect to see plenty of it as it is an excellent defense up close and at a distance. I use it alot even if I do not plan on following it up with AK-run or sleep dart because it counters fairly well. Unfortunately, these things can also gain your opponent AP if shot at the right time. 30 AP to be exact. So try countering it when he attempts to kick it and you may like the results. 

Photobucket
Message 14 of 25 (90 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
876 posts

Jan 25, 2013

I'm really happy to see a thread where more than me and maybe one other guy are talking about how scrubby you have to be to think the barrel is anything but another move. I been fighting with noobs on like 6 or 7 different threads trying to tell them how the block button exists, you can jump in this game, and as a ranged character you can just blow it up b4 its any issue. But nope no one wants advice they just want the barrel nerfed to **bleep** so they can stay scrubby AND win. 

Step up your game noobs!!!

"ZA ZA ZA ZA ZING"
Mains: Jak, Isaac Subs: Spike, Drake, Evil Cole
6 Seasons with Black Belt! (should be 8)
Message 15 of 25 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Jan 25, 2013
Wait, doesn't the barrel explode if it's blocked, giving a larger amount of AP (than if actually getting hit by it) as a result?
Message 16 of 25 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
280 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

BDurk15 wrote:
Wait, doesn't the barrel explode if it's blocked, giving a larger amount of AP (than if actually getting hit by it) as a result?

If you stop it there, you destroy it and prevent it from exploding later for more AP, or allowing drake to simply follow up on the barrel. But yes, it generates 20 AP if blocked, or 10 (30 for explosion) otherwise.

Message 17 of 25 (56 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
876 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

Yes and no. It explodes, but if you keep holding block they do not gain 30 ap on block, that would ACTUALLY be op. He gets 20 ap on block which I was actually alittle surprized about myself when I just checked, but its nothing compared to 40+ ap he will gain if you do not block. 40 is minimum for getting hit by the barrel right before it explodes and if Drake does another move it will be more than 40. So blocking is pretty op in this situation not the barrel. 

I'm guessing when superbot talks about adjustments, he will probably lose 5-10 ap on block and on hit with the barrel explosion. But if everyone is thinking the barrel will have its properties totaly altered  your just foolish. Raiden did not lose his forward grab, it just puts you on the ground now. The move is 100% the same but he can't gain ap or kill you. Sakcboys cake is still as annoying as before, but now he gains 5 less ap. 

The barrel will always be the barrel just learn to get around it like anything else in a videogame you have trouble with. Complaing like bleeding girls gets you nowhere.

And I've been just trolling the practice dummy for 5 mins nows and the max any barrel -> run n gun combo can get you is 85 ap and that is like perfect placement for every bullet to hit and have both the barrel and rifle smash both go off at exactly the same time. on average I get like 60- 65 ap. Drake has a ton of other just as simple combos which do not require nearly as much time as the run n gun combo does and gains more ap. So literally if your facing a Drake abusing that then he's just as trash a player as a side square kratos.

aerial down square, down square, down square, dropkick gains 90 ap.

replace the aerial with forward square for same amount of ap.

do both the aerial down square, then forward square, down square, down square, dropkick for an easy 140 ap burst.

every one of those combos takes less time to execute then the barrel -> run and gun and you can just stop mid combo if someone is coming up on you from behind or trying to kill you while you fight.

So once again, only a scrubby Drake would ever rely on the barrel to win, and furthermore only a scrubby player should lose to  a Drake who leaves himself open to attacks for 5 seconds for a measley 60 ap, possibly 80 if the guy is lucky.

"ZA ZA ZA ZA ZING"
Message 18 of 25 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
280 posts

Jan 25, 2013

BIGPOPPA21089 wrote:

Yes and no. It explodes, but if you keep holding block they do not gain 30 ap on block, that would ACTUALLY be op. He gets 20 ap on block which I was actually alittle surprized about myself when I just checked, but its nothing compared to 40+ ap he will gain if you do not block. 40 is minimum for getting hit by the barrel right before it explodes and if Drake does another move it will be more than 40. So blocking is pretty op in this situation not the barrel. 

You do realize all blocked skills have their AP generated reduced by 50% right? (In addition, some effects will never be applied further reducing ap generated) I'm just wondering why you are surprised by it generating 20 AP for a block.

Message 19 of 25 (47 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
876 posts

Jan 25, 2013

acursedone wrote:

BIGPOPPA21089 wrote:

You do realize all blocked skills have their AP generated reduced by 50% right? (In addition, some effects will never be applied further reducing ap generated) I'm just wondering why you are surprised by it generating 20 AP for a block.

Does it count as blocking both the knock up and the explosion, because I would figure since it instantly explodes it should just be the explosion which was worth 30 and now should be 15. I only play Drake when playing seriously and yes I was completely surprized by the 20 ap on block. i don't think anyone else has a move that gives 20 ap on block and now that I know that I want it changed, 20 ap is the same as landing a normal hit, thats rediculous. Anyway I bet it gets changed just like sackboy, you will see a nerf on the ap gain (so what who cares) but the move is always going to work the same way.

"ZA ZA ZA ZA ZING"
Message 20 of 25 (44 Views)