Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 15 2013
By: godlessmode Lombax Warrior 76 posts

Tier List Discussion

39 replies 328 views Edited Jan 15, 2013

I spent some time rating the characters in a variety of categories and used that to come up with a tier list, there are a couple characters that I am unsure about, and I think I might tweak the weights of a couple categories (specifically being able to hit-confirm into kills reliably).

My process was a liquored scale 1-5, weighted so each rating balanced out with an average rating of 3. Which means that most of the cast falls in and or around average for a given category making the ratings all relative. The tier list is also similarly distributed making the B tier the average guy tier where most characters fall in around an average of 3. Oh and the focus is primarily 2v2 (since I believe it's what PSASBR is ultimately best at - though there is SOME relevance for 1v1/FFA just less).

I'm the least confident on the C and D tiers, as such there may be a sleeper or two in there and if anyone had a character they think is low I would be happy to talk about the categories they scored poorly in and see if I am just missing something about the character.

S - E.Cole, Sly, Raiden
A - Drake, Kratos, Fatty P
B - G.Cole, Ratchet, Spike, Dante, Sackboy, Radec, SweetTooth
C - B.Daddy, Toro, Parappa, Jak, Nariko
D - Heihachi, Daniel

I ended up calling Sackboy and Dante the two most all around "average" characters - for very different reasons. 

I ended up with Daniel as the worst in the game followed closely by Heihachi.

E.cole ended up being classified as the best followed closely by Sly with a moderate margin to the next person down (Drake). 

The methodology is inherently a bit fuzzy as the categories are selected based on what I consider to be important to the Meta. And obviously the ratings given to the characters are purely subjective and limited based on my current understanding of the characters and game.

Anyway, let me know what you think, if you think a character is in the wrong tier, let me know why, I would love to factor in the collective communities knowledge! 

Thanks.

Come watch competitive and casual PSASBR play:
http://twitch.tv/hotboxgaming
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 40 (328 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11169 posts

Re: Tier List Discussion

Jan 15, 2013
Fat Princess is only A or even S in the hands of a competent player. The same could be said for every character.

Kratos should be S (until he's hopefully castrated in the next patch).
R.I.P. Off-Topic
04/09/2014 - Never Forget
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 40 (325 Views)
Wastelander
847 posts

Jan 15, 2013
I was gonna ask who is daniel, lol. Anyway i think ecole drops a rank cuz, hes good...in the right hands, this is not the case with sly or raiden, that can spam to get fast ap and lv1. IMO
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 40 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
76 posts

Jan 15, 2013

The list is really built assuming that all people in the game at the moment know what they are doing.  That's why for example E.Cole is above the others, he actually has the best set of tools in the game (mostly thanks to gigapunch) and he also has the best set of mobility (closely matched with Sly).

Kratos has some issues once people block and defend properly against him.  He is still incredibly good, but he is just not quite as silly as the very tippy top characters.  He has a pretty meh LVL1.  He mostly just has good AP build and good space control, where other characters have the same things but better supers.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 40 (315 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11169 posts

Jan 15, 2013
Fair enough. Then I think Big Daddy should be up one tier. Ya, he's slow and his level 1 and 2 aren't really worth writing home about, but his tech chase game is ridiculous, regular attacks all earn good AP and give armour, and his ground charge beats almost every other move in the game.
R.I.P. Off-Topic
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 40 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
76 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2013

Thanks for the feedback,

Big Daddy is right on the cusp between tiers. The main things I see keeping him where he is are his mobility issues, his lack of a good confirm into his LVL1, his challenges at controlling air-space and just how bad his LVL1 is all-together.

I agree on his tech chase game, and actually that is one of his best ways to land the LVL1s to begin with. And his armored moves ARE nice, I just am unsure if they are enough to offset his negatives.

Do you think he is better than Radec or Sweet Tooth? (They are the characters right above him currently).

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 40 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
335 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2013

i would put Sir Dan, Hihachi, Toro, Jak, and Big Daddy as S's, especially Sir Dan, ive never lost with him EVER

also i dont think you are taking haihachis beach ball move into account, he can easily stop people from ggetting their lvl 3 with tthat, and his t-bag teknique is the best in the whole game

16 Characters that should really be in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale: Hero-Patapon3, Blob-LocoRoco, Abe-Abe's Oddessy, Ari+Stan-Okage, Raziel-Soul Reaver, The King of All Cosmos-Katamari, Alex Mercer-Prototype, Isaac Clarke-Dead Space, Cloud-Final Fantasy VII, Spyro-Spyro, Crash-Crash Bandicoot, Tiki Guy-PixelJunk Monsters, Amaterasu-Ōkami, Mega Man-Mega Man X8, Ratonhnhaké:ton-Assassin's Creed III, Kevin Butler+Marcus PSP

^^^THIS LINK BELOW EXPLAINS WHY THEY SHOULD BE ADDED IN. vvv
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/15-MORE-THAN-DESERVING-NEW-CHARACTER-IDEAS-feedback-is/m-p/39129075#U39129075
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 40 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
847 posts

Jan 15, 2013
Maybe radec but absolutly not sweet tooth. His lv1 is fast to get an easy to use, that a really high advantage over bd lv1
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 40 (276 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11169 posts

Jan 15, 2013
I think Big D COULD be better than Sweet Tooth, but I'm really not sure about that one.

I think he's definitely better than Radec though. And I main them both.
R.I.P. Off-Topic
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 40 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
76 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2013

Yeah that was my issue as well, B.D. isn't BAD but I just couldn't justify placing him above the others.  It's mostly his lack of level 1 confirms which limits him - in particular in ranked or otherwise timed matches.

What is it you feel that B.D offers thats more significant than Radec?

I have Radec where he is due to the following factors mostly:

Strong space control, including anti-air zoning, moderate to high neutral AP gain, and generally either better or comparable supers the exception being his LVL2, which is slightly worse than Big Daddies.   (Radec is one of the ones I kept bumping this way and that so I could easily see moving him down a tier, but even if I was to move a character up a tier, I think it might be Toro instead of Big Daddy).

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 40 (265 Views)
0 Likes