I Only Post Everything
914 posts

Re: This game won't beat Smash Bros...

Sep 14, 2012

I meant to say that the new characters dialogue is being withheld from the preview videos...saw a typo in my post

meme3485470395
Message 61 of 77 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1704 posts

Sep 14, 2012
WEll, your right. however, Sony fans who loved Smash finally have a game to obsess over. (me included Smiley Very Happy)
Message 62 of 77 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Sep 14, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

The roster size isn't an issue due to lack of space, it's to keep the characters unique in their own way and have as little cloning as possible.  Also, even the Wii U's disc space doesn't top the PS3 since the PS3 has 50gigs on a single disc without dual-layering.

Well, actually, Blu-Ray has 25 GB per single-layered discs, too.  And Brawl got all it did on an 8GB disc.

The roster size probably does, in fact, have something to do with the lack of space.  Don't forget that they only have 4GB to work with on Vita, and it has to be practically the same game.  However, the real reason has to do more with time.  As you said, they made characters as unique as possible.  Not to mention roster size has nothing to do with game quality, as quantity is not everything (look at DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 3).

They didn't excatly do a lot with Brawl though and the graphics are extremely dumbed down compared to the PS3.  Even so, I don't see the new SSB being better than All-Stars due to Smash Brothers' non-competitive nature.

Message 63 of 77 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

Sep 14, 2012

You are aware that Smash / Melee only had 12 / 25 characters respectively. And that is factoring in clones. Smash only technically had 10 characters (Luigi and Jigglypuff were clones). Melee had 7 clones. Hard to say Smash has a bigger better roster when about half of it is just clones of other characters with slight tweaks. And you are REALLY going to pick on Allstars Supers when Brawl's supers were literally copy and pasted onto multiple characters?

Message 64 of 77 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Sep 14, 2012

ark567 wrote:

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

The roster size isn't an issue due to lack of space, it's to keep the characters unique in their own way and have as little cloning as possible.  Also, even the Wii U's disc space doesn't top the PS3 since the PS3 has 50gigs on a single disc without dual-layering.

Well, actually, Blu-Ray has 25 GB per single-layered discs, too.  And Brawl got all it did on an 8GB disc.

The roster size probably does, in fact, have something to do with the lack of space.  Don't forget that they only have 4GB to work with on Vita, and it has to be practically the same game.  However, the real reason has to do more with time.  As you said, they made characters as unique as possible.  Not to mention roster size has nothing to do with game quality, as quantity is not everything (look at DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 3).

that isnt as big of a issue as you would thing for a handheld they use lower reselution textures and lower polly models that can have a huge effect on the size of a game without only minimal visual effect because a ps3 game needs to look good on up to 120" tvs while a handheld game has to look good on a 5' screen and then u consider compression and the same game for vita can be considerably smaller

Apparently you ignored the word "pracitcally."  I used that word for a reason: They have to fit 22+ characters, movesets, animations, and all, in the game, as well as stages, items, a story mode that may be unique to each character, character trials, challenges, AND the game's engines all in 4GB.  And it has to be able to work in Cross-Play.  When I said "practically," I was using the actual definition of "pracitcal" and meant that the game has to be the same in every gameplay-affecting facet.  While the lower resolution takes quite a bit of data out of the game, there's still the large majoirty of the data still sitting right there in front of you that has to be considered.  Not to mention the graphics have been dumbed down on PS3 just to work at all when downsized to Vita.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 65 of 77 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 14, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

ark567 wrote:

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

that isnt as big of a issue as you would thing for a handheld they use lower reselution textures and lower polly models that can have a huge effect on the size of a game without only minimal visual effect because a ps3 game needs to look good on up to 120" tvs while a handheld game has to look good on a 5' screen and then u consider compression and the same game for vita can be considerably smaller

Apparently you ignored the word "pracitcally."  I used that word for a reason: They have to fit 22+ characters, movesets, animations, and all, in the game, as well as stages, items, a story mode that may be unique to each character, character trials, challenges, AND the game's engines all in 4GB.  And it has to be able to work in Cross-Play.  When I said "practically," I was using the actual definition of "pracitcal" and meant that the game has to be the same in every gameplay-affecting facet.  While the lower resolution takes quite a bit of data out of the game, there's still the large majoirty of the data still sitting right there in front of you that has to be considered.  Not to mention the graphics have been dumbed down on PS3 just to work at all when downsized to Vita.

You do realize that isn't how it works right? And your concept of how big files are is incredibly off... I don't think you understand how big files are. MVC3 proves that this game will be fine.

Also I don't even think you understand how Cross Play works while we are discussing it either. The graphics on the Ps3 version have to be dumbed down so it works on the Vita...? What!? *mind blown* You should really research things before you talk.

Message 66 of 77 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 14, 2012

HeathenAmerico wrote:
You do realize that isn't how it works right? And your concept of how big files are is incredibly off... I don't think you understand how big files are. MVC3 proves that this game will be fine.

Also I don't even think you understand how Cross Play works while we are discussing it either. The graphics on the Ps3 version have to be dumbed down so it works on the Vita...? What!? *mind blown* You should really research things before you talk.

It's funny because I do research this kind of stuff and because I'm a programmer myself.  You don't just take a 10-25GB game, lower its resolution and magically lose the majority of the game's size.

You seem to forget that MVC was multiplatform, and already worked on only between 2 and 4 GB (digitally) as-is.  That means that the only real issue was lowering the resolution, which took away ~1.5GB of the game's overall download size (2.81GB to 1.35GB, although those are obviously compressed since they're both download sizes).  Now take PSAS, which is in all likelihood MUCH more than that, and include the fact that the MVC games are known for being very low in overall download size, and you have a very bad example.  

I could try and make some point about how FIFA 12 is 3GB and try and relate that to prove my point, but I won't because that example doesn't fit this game.  In reality, you don't seem to understand that lowering resolution doesn't take magically take a majority of a game's overall size away.  Thankfully, it's not just a straight port, but a side-by-side development process, so it's not like it's an issue that'll come up now in development, as it's been accommodated for throughout development.  That, and the fact that it'll be compressed for the digital version, leads me to believe that it will be fine on Vita.  Mind you, my initial point was only that PSAS as a game is just as restriced as Brawl was, to be fair to the other side of Nocturnal's point.

ecdf9e46
Message 67 of 77 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

Sep 15, 2012
I just find it hilarious that you know exactly how big of a game Allstars is going to be. Between 10-25 GB? Says who? Do you own a copy? Do you know all the content in the game?

I never said lowering the resolution make the game dramatically smaller. That isn't even my issue, my issue is that you seem to believe that the PSV plays the EXACT same version as the Ps3 based on your comment that the Ps3 version has to look worse to make it work on the PSV. They aren't the same game. Every title that works on the PSV and the PS3 has two separate versions, this is why they offer the Cross Buy promotion. It's not like PS Classics where you download one and it transfers over.

Circling back to the original point, you have no idea how much space is being used up by the game and the fact that games like Mortal Kombat can work just as fine on the Vita with all their content really doesn't limit them much.
Message 68 of 77 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Sep 15, 2012

HeathenAmerico wrote:
I just find it hilarious that you know exactly how big of a game Allstars is going to be. Between 10-25 GB? Says who? Do you own a copy? Do you know all the content in the game?

I never said lowering the resolution make the game dramatically smaller. That isn't even my issue, my issue is that you seem to believe that the PSV plays the EXACT same version as the Ps3 based on your comment that the Ps3 version has to look worse to make it work on the PSV. They aren't the same game. Every title that works on the PSV and the PS3 has two separate versions, this is why they offer the Cross Buy promotion. It's not like PS Classics where you download one and it transfers over.

Circling back to the original point, you have no idea how much space is being used up by the game and the fact that games like Mortal Kombat can work just as fine on the Vita with all their content really doesn't limit them much.

Where did I say they play the EXACT same way?  You seem to be taking everything I'm saying out of context.  I never once said it had to look worse for it to work.  I did say that the two games have to play essentially the same, because they're advertising seamless online Cross-Play for this game, and every facet of gameplay would have to be spot on between the two versions (which is where the majority of any game's memory comes from).  They're obviously not the same game, but they have to play like it.  

Hell, they're one of only a dozen or so games that I can think of off the top of my head that are in this situation.  The Vita ports of other fighting games don't have PS3 compatibility, but this one is supposed to have spotless cross-play over PSN.  I never once insinuated that the Vita version is the same game; I've only been stressing that the Vita version has to be, practically-speaking, almost entirely the same as the PS3 version, and while the PSVita obviously has smaller game sizes, it's much harder on a PS-exclusive game (since they tend to make much more use of the extra space on Blu-Ray discs).  

As for my comment about game size, I'm going off of usual PS3-exclusive game sizes.  However, again, pretty much my whole initial statement was the point that the Vita version is very likely holding overall development back, only because the Vita version has to match up spot for spot as PS3 in every area except graphics.

ecdf9e46
Message 69 of 77 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Sep 15, 2012

the op made a thread just like this before 

"

Nintendo > Sony

Smash Bros > PSASBR

I am truly sorry fans out there I have nothing against PSASBR or Sony, but I am entitled to my own opinion."

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Lets-face-it/td-p/38198173

its weird  that people can be so oblivious to whats going on but regardless you are indeed entitled to your own opinion but imo it makes you look like an *bleep* when you continually force your opinion as though its fact and for me at least makes it quite hard to take you seriously 

people like you honestly occasionally seem to give validity to the notion that nintendo fans are immature children 

Message 70 of 77 (43 Views)