Highlighted
Aug 23 2012
By: psychoticmantis Wastelander 609 posts

This game has a better roster than Smash Bros.

[ Edited ]
124 replies 837 views Edited Aug 23, 2012

You guys know I'm brutally honest regardless if you hate my opinions or not. Pretty much since this games E3 annoncement, I've been playing SSBB once a week with my friends, we played SSBM a few times, but I dont really like it as much. The more I play SSB, the more I realize, talking about SSB, and playing it are 2 different things.There's a reason I stopped playing SSB a few years ago and this is one.

Almost 90% of the times I play SSBB I use snake, and in SSBM I use Falco. Yesterday I got tired of using snake and (winning almost ever match, not bragging) so I looked for another chracter, I used sonic( which is almost an unsuable character) After getting tired of using Sonic, I just stood there at the select screen, looking for someone I wanted to use.

I come to realize, SSB only has a good roster, if you're a Huge Nintendo fan,(I and Morgan Webb can attest to that), as well as a toonish platformer fan, outside of that action adventure/shooter and more mature themed gamers look at this roster with disinterest. I grew up a sega fan, then became a playstation/xbox fan. Link is cool, I use him sometimes, I'm not much of a Mario. 1 reason is because Mario never really had a story that captured me, so that character was never attractive to me. Take a look at my forum name, I love MGS, and Psychomantis, Snake and psychomantis' introduction to me is stamped in my memory, snake swimming into the facilities, and psychomantis, whole power display to snake, but I digress.

PS All-Stars may not resonate very well with casuals, but neither woul 95% of videogames. So let's get to the more core-ish gamers. Kratos, Nathan drake, Heihachi, Big Daddy, Sackboy, DAnte, and Ratchet & Clank, are all well known by core and core-ish gamers, but what makes this roster better is not just the diversity of  familiarity, but the diversity of genre, and the diversity of favor. So far non- exclusive Playstation owners have Heihachi, Dante, Big Daddy and more 3rd party to come, but what if you're not a platformer, fan or a toonish character fan? I myself am not a big Ratchet and clank, Sly, or Jak and Daxter  fan, there are mature games like GOW and Uncharted, and Killzone.

I think people who love Nintendo and platformers love SSB's roster, outside of that, it's not much to choose from. This game serves more gamers

EDIT

The problem with the characters is, Superbot IMO hasn't captured the essence of some of the characters, they need to re-design drake and Kratos to look more like their HD 2012 forms.

Message 1 of 125 (837 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Re: This game has a better roster than Smash Bros.

Aug 23, 2012

SSB only seemingly has 'a better roster' because of Mario & Link.

Everyone else is as obscure as Toro here in the US. Japan is a different story.

PSASBR has a roster more relevant to today. Fire Emblem, is no longer relevant to today.

Message 2 of 125 (826 Views)
Sackboy
488 posts

Aug 23, 2012
I like the characters better, I'm more of a playstation fan. I honestly haven't owned a Nintendo system since Super. I just don't care about a lot of those characters anymore. They are good characters but outside of Link they don't do much for me.
http://pastadium.forumotion.com/forum

Photobucket
Message 3 of 125 (811 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3150 posts

Aug 23, 2012
Just for the fact that it's got Nathan Drake, Heihatchi, Dante, and Big Daddy is enough to make it a better roster.
Message 4 of 125 (787 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1145 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 23, 2012

ay, totally agree. Last time i played smb, i had the same prob chosing a character. Normally i stick to falcon or kirby, ;D

Trujuju_91-Sig.png

Message 5 of 125 (779 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
788 posts

Aug 23, 2012

Dunno,,,smash have sonic.

nuff said.

Message 6 of 125 (761 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
756 posts

Aug 23, 2012

I knew almost everyone on the SSBB roster except for certain ones like Fire Emblem. I knew Pokemon, EarthBound, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Mario, and Star Fox. Mostly because I was a HUGE Nintendo fan back in the N64 age. I still have over 73 N64 games in my shelf. Still though some franchises did go over my head like Pit and Ice Climbers because they were SNES games. Still though to fans like me that whole roster was a dream.

I do have to give it to Sony they are having a pretty good roster so far. I think the only ppl that I didn't know in the roster so far was Fat Princess, Parappa, and Nariko. Every other person is exciting to hear about though. SuperBot just gotta give me my BOOM character and then I will truly say that PSASBR has a better roster because it does have a good starting point.

Message 7 of 125 (717 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2571 posts

Aug 23, 2012

SSBB had a great roster, just the characters where clones, that's not the characters fault though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 8 of 125 (418 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Aug 23, 2012

I don't think you can say one roster is better than the other. It's really just an opinion on which is better. I have more of an attachment to the characters in PSASBR though than I do in SSB.

Death_by_Ownage-Sig.png

Message 9 of 125 (413 Views)
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Aug 23, 2012

psychoticmantis wrote:

The problem with the characters is, Superbot IMO hasn't captured the essence of some of the characters, they need to re-design drake and Kratos to look more like their HD 2012 forms.

I completely disagree. They feel just like their characters with how they play, and the reason they cartoonify the more realistic looking characters is so that there is a meeting ground with the look of all the characters. It'd be really weird if they gave every character their original appearance.

Death_by_Ownage-Sig.png

Message 10 of 125 (408 Views)
0 Likes