Feb 03 2013
By: shadowtaman Sackboy 439 posts

Theoretically, The Science in Bioshock is Correct.

8 replies 259 views Edited Feb 3, 2013

***Before you read this remember that this is under the context that if all of the worlds smartest scientist were gathered at once place without rules or regulations.***

I wrote this because it is something that I had questions about. I know there are many more who want to understand the science behind Bioshock. Well here you go, I tried to make easy to understand.

I was talking to my Biomed Tech teacher about this game. We're about to use plasmids (real life) and they have the same principle as the games plasmids.

Ok so ADAM is a Stem Cell that is produced by a deep sea slug that was discovered by Doctor Brigid Tenenbaum. The stem cells allow for the rearrangement of Human Genes. (I am going to say through the use of Enzymes)

So ADAM is the backbone to the whole thing. You need ADAM to rearrange your genes using plasmids.

Now on to Plasmids. A plasmid is an extra chromosomal DNA molecule separate from the chromosomal DNA which is capable of replicating independently from the chromosomal DNA. Usually found in bacteria.

In easier terms, it's an extra circle of DNA we take from bacteria. Now, we take the Plasmid and cut it in two places using Enzymes. Now this is where ADAM comes in again. ADAM is the stem cell that produces Enzymes (Enzymes basically just cut at a section in the circle of DNA). So now that the circle has been cut in two places (Shaped like the letter C ), you can fit a gene of your choice into it.

Such as Incinerate!, or Electro Bolt.

This whole process is called Splicing. Gene splicing is a term that applies to the direct manipulation of an organism's genes.

Splicers in the games= People who manipulate their genes.

Now comes the issue with EVE, what does it do?

Now EVE is called Operon in real life. It's basically the On switch to the plasmid.

Control of an operon is a type of gene regulation that enables organisms to regulate the expression of various genes depending on environmental conditions.

So in game that mean, the use the different plasmids.

Hope this all makes sense. I gotta give it to the developers who really did their research behind this.

WORLD RECORD FOR ALL STARS HELD BY SHADOWTAMAN @ 23:21.05
DATE - 11/16/13 RULED BY SRL.

WORLD RECORD FOR TRIAL% ON ALL-STARS AT 1:20:12

WORLD RECORD FOR 0 CYCLE ROXAS AT 1:04!
http://www.twitch.tv/mybrothersco/c/3651281

SPEEDRUNSLIVE.COM!!!!! - GO HERE TO WATCH OTHERS SPEED RUN, SRL IS A SUPPORTER FOR PLAY-STATION ALL STARS WOOOO!

Twitch.tv/mybrothersco - my live stream for all stars, and melee!
Message 1 of 9 (259 Views)
Wastelander
616 posts

Re: Theoretically, The Science in Bioshock is Correct.

Feb 3, 2013
Why exactly is this in the playstation all stars forum?
Message 2 of 9 (257 Views)
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Feb 3, 2013

Because Big Daddy?

Message 3 of 9 (252 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1144 posts

Feb 3, 2013

So let me get this straight(im not a science major in college, crj). In the near future, i should be able to throw small cyclones from my hands? Sweet, better start an Anti-Andrew Ryan group soon

Message 4 of 9 (235 Views)
Wastelander
616 posts

Feb 3, 2013

Splatteregg wrote:

Because Big Daddy?

This is still the wrong forum. It should be in bioshock forums somewhere or in some general forum.

Message 5 of 9 (215 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1735 posts

Feb 3, 2013

OK then Mr. Science Guy. Explain how to create a Big Daddy. Is it an animatronic scuba suit, or is it a superhuman creation that has no use for an external air sorce?

Message 6 of 9 (206 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

Feb 3, 2013

shadow9531 wrote:

Splatteregg wrote:

Because Big Daddy?

This is still the wrong forum. It should be in bioshock forums somewhere or in some general forum.

He's explaining how the attacks you see Big Daddy use in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale may be be possible in real life. Thread is on topic and valid.

Message 7 of 9 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
616 posts

Feb 3, 2013
He's talking about ALL plasmids and whatnot. Nothing here is specifically about all stars. Thread belongs elsewhere.
Message 8 of 9 (159 Views)
Highlighted
Wastelander
847 posts

Feb 3, 2013

this is off-forum but im gonna argue here.

They tried this already, injecting an alternated dna cell in a aedes aegypt(mosquito), and made it bite a child with AIDS(hiv) the child recovered(from the aids) few days later, but suddenly he died, his dna restructure process didnt supported it.

This is not recent news, im gonna search the font and post here.

Message 9 of 9 (122 Views)