Feb 04 2013
By: Breaker_Ki Sackboy 528 posts

The reason I want to see kill confirms removed

19 replies 487 views Edited Feb 4, 2013

Specifially, the impact of one button confirms on the meta game ( though some of the more intricate ones also apply if all defending players know about them)

Why?

Here's a typical game for me when all players are at least semi-skilled.  Say there's a player with an easy confirm (e.g. E-cole, FP, Toro, Sweet Tooth, etc).  The game starts out great, everyone is fighting, dogding, building meter etc.  Now, as soon as one player of these characters gets to level 1 you see them start to very little else but go for the confirm.  In the case of FP, she will start to air camp the soldier or scepter.  Of course, when the lobby is full of semi-skilled players, they know that basically ALL kill confirms require the defendee to be on the ground.  This then leads to most of the other players jump spamming to avoid the confirm.  Of course many others will also block/dodge, but jumping is by far the safiest.  Regardless of how they avoid it, someone having a level 1 with an easy confirm turns the game into an insanely defensive jump-a-thon.  

I feel that this "jump-a-thon" is an undesirable impact on the meta game.  At least with kill setups there is a chance you can dodge.  If kill setups where the only thing is this game, people would be less likely to jump around since they have other options.  Additionlly, players would be forced to think about the risk of the setup and waisting a super (which should be the case with level 1's anyway).  

Message 1 of 20 (487 Views)
Gaming Beast
1779 posts

Re: The reason I want to see kill confirms removed

[ Edited ]
Feb 4, 2013

Breaker_Ki wrote:

Additionlly, players would be forced to think about the risk of the setup and waisting a super (which should be the case with level 1's anyway).  

Great post. This line in particular!

Message 2 of 20 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Feb 4, 2013
Hahaha all I see Fat Princesses do are spam the air knight and sceptre, regardless of what super they have!
Message 3 of 20 (462 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1079 posts

Feb 4, 2013
and ratchits grab into level 1. Smiley Tongue
all stars photo psasbr2_zpsc1059804.png

My raiden over all your mains.
#PSASBR2
Message 4 of 20 (452 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
587 posts

Feb 4, 2013
I've been trying to explain why Kill Confirms hurt the game for a while, now. Glad to see another person doing the same with some detail as well.
Message 5 of 20 (444 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
574 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 4, 2013

Bardonic wrote:

according to the community ratchet grab level 1 setup is dodgable. i havent tested it out yey, no occasion for it, but ill sure give it a shot when ill have the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Main: Toro
Other: Kratos, Parappa, Heihachi & Sly

English is not my main language, so im sorry about my mistakes.

Show your support for Gex as DLC!

Message 6 of 20 (428 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1401 posts

Feb 4, 2013

The only two that pisses me off is Heihachi's and Evil Coles charge punch Level 1

Photobucket
Message 7 of 20 (414 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
528 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Like I said, it's more the impact on the meta-game that bugs me.  It's not the confirms are bad (though they can be frustrating), its that the safiest way to avoid them makes for boring matches.  So the big question is, are confirms the problem, or is how the movement mechanics function with them the problem?

Personally, I would rather see them gone so level's 1 can fullfill the role of high risk high reward for all chacters.  i.e. right now, level 1's with good confirms >>> level 3 or 2.  I aggree with this, but It should be that 1 >>> 3 or 2 only if there is high risk.

Message 8 of 20 (383 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
87 posts

Feb 4, 2013

I can't agree. Kill Confirms are what makes this game more fun, to me at least. When i see an E. Cole get his Level 1 and begin charging that punch, my stress level goes up just a bit, but it doesn't make me mess up my game. Instead, i then rely on my dodging/countering SKILLS. I think this is more of a complaint than statement. Why would you just randomly throw out supers unless you know they could hit? Considering how great the roll system is, it would be pretty hard to land supers. It would be like taking out a combo that leads into a super for a game like UMVC3 or Street Fighter. If kill confirms are a problem, then i say you just need more practice.

Message 9 of 20 (348 Views)
Survivor
2365 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Fred1023 wrote:

Bardonic wrote:

according to the community ratchet grab level 1 setup is dodgable. i havent tested it out yey, no occasion for it, but ill sure give it a shot when ill have the time.

Yes, Ratchet's throw "confirm" IS avoidable. And it DOES work. Man people gotta studdy up! Though I can't get too mad, some really high level players still don't use it quite yet.

We went through an enorumous discussion last night. I already went through the fact that killing with with or without confirms requires the same skill: the ability to read your opponent then react. Both kills are the SAME if you look into it with any logic.

Message 10 of 20 (345 Views)