Oct 26 2012
By: Levi_Skardsen I Only Post Everything 1147 posts

The downside of combo heavy characters

8 replies 222 views Edited Oct 26, 2012

They're my favourite type to play as. The Dante's, Raiden's and Nariko's of fighting games. I'll undoubtedly play as those types the most upon release, however in a game like this they have a big disadvantage in FFA's; constantly having your combo interrupted. In the beta I often get interrupted during PaRappa's 140 AP combo, whether it be by another player, a stage hazard or even some random wayward projectile. It's frustrating to get pulled out of it, but it comes with a game like this.

My concern is that characters who are heavily dependant on combo's for AP gain may suffer in a FFA. I'm wondering if those who've played the full game can give me some insight as to whether my concerns are justified or not.

Message 1 of 9 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
517 posts

Re: The downside of combo heavy characters

Oct 26, 2012

Have you seen the waltkthroughs with Nariko and Raiden?  Even though there were bots in that match, I would say that they will do just fine.

Message 2 of 9 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1785 posts

Oct 26, 2012
They most likely can be resolved in the final product, if I recall there's a way to disable stage hazards, though I don't know if whether or not it was confirmed that you can set online settings to 1v1 fights only but honestly I hope it is and I hope I run into players like you who use those kinds of characters because I'd like to be able to learn how to manage against them from human players as I'll be using Heihachi, Sweet Tooth, both Coles, and Jak and Daxter.
Message 3 of 9 (197 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

Oct 26, 2012

It's really just a thought. I won't have any real idea until the game is out. Maybe I just got unlucky today and posted out of past frustration, as I had one of those "why is everyone only going for me?" days.

Message 4 of 9 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
517 posts

Oct 26, 2012

Yeah, I understand.  There were a few games where I was playing as Sweet Tooth and I was using my lvl 1 a lot and one of the players started constantly coming after me after I killed him twice in a row. :/

Message 5 of 9 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
42 posts

Oct 26, 2012

So I'm a big PaRappa player, myself. And I, like you, love combo heavy characters.

That being said, PaRappa doesn't need combos in FFA. I got a 10/1 yesterday in FFA by not completing a single full combo. Use his air/F+T and both ground and air/F+C. Both have great priority, and the F+C stun them for a quick second. Also, his U+C and air/U+C are both really good at building meter as well.

And one more thing, the combo:

air/F+T , U+S (hold), C , S , S

Is easy to do quickly in the middle of a FFA. Unfortunately it's only worth about 75+AP, but it's something. Smiley Happy.Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 9 (143 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

Oct 26, 2012

Oh I use those a lot too. His aerial F-T is undoubtedly one of his most useful moves. I think I just got frustrated that every time I made the effort to pull out a big combo, it always got ruined. It wasn't like I wasn't being careful either. 

Message 7 of 9 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Oct 26, 2012

I get interrupted too but I'm pretty good at crowd control and playing mind games so I won't have much problems comboing.

Message 8 of 9 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Oct 26, 2012
Well the whole point of FFA is to be aware of everything and take a bit of a beating in the process. If you want to unleash those mega combos 2v2 is probably appropriate.
JJWheatley-Sig2.png
Message 9 of 9 (113 Views)
0 Likes