Treasure Hunter
7051 posts

Re: The dodging or rolling thing.

Oct 29, 2012

The beta is ok and the game will be ok, but we all know the game and beta is not balanced. Some characters are cheap period, no matter if we have the other 15 left or not. Sly invisibility is a big deal when the player uses it constantly throughout the whole match. Thats why it needs some type of time delay or usage delay between uses. On the bigger maps in the full game just imagine Sly staying cloaked during Level 3 supers. Another thing is Slys decoy, that is another big deal when you come across a  skilled player who decides to spam the decoy. Match start both players go towards each other, both constantly side dodges and trys to hit each other, but wait... sly players decide to spam the decoy move making it almost impossible to ever make a hit on him without getting stunned.

Now we have players that can do special grabs or special powers, but that doesnt solve the problem for slower players. Skilled Radec player Vs Skilled Sly player equals a big problem for Radec. Radec/slow characters like him not only cannot out run med fast/fast players, but their lauch moves are slow so Sly can easily perform combos constantly without slow chars having a chance.

Another thing is Sly overall moveset. His electric attacks are irratating especially in corners, tight places and against slow players. That electric roll knockback is absurd. I can understand it being used fast but they way it knocks you back is insane. Then theres some places where Sly can literally spam the electric attack in a corner and he'll do it over and over and over again. Theres times where its Impossible to get out, because in this game there seems to be no short amount of Invulnurabilty when coming up from the ground like in certain other games. This happened to me about 4x total and other players had to actually hit sly to cancel the spam.

For you people who say the game is completely balaned, you are in serious denial. As a skilled player who has hudreds of wins over loses some moves are cheap as hell no matter if you can block it or not.

photo 1-Xzveb9U_zpsedcf7d52.png
Only time will tell.
Message 21 of 24 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1364 posts

Oct 29, 2012
The problem with Sly's invisibility is that it is easily notable once the camera pans in. You also have to remember one flaw on his character and that is he cannot block. He spams counter? Grab him. Uses barrel? Short-hop air dodge and punish. Spamming side triangle? Block and punish. Bait Sly(this goes for most of the characters in the beta). Force him to come to you. Idk if you noticed but Radec has sort of an infinite on Sly against a wall with his standard Square.

Now mind you, this is only on FFA. So Sly players will of course be opportunistic with his Supers and invisibility with all the chaos going on. I faced a good Sly 1v1 and I noticed his short commings. His supers are quite readable and it's all about his pressure game, not his combos. However, I was Parappa so I had an easier time with Sly, So I could see a Radec player struggling.

Anyways, I agree that Sly is an amazing character and a complete foil for Radec. But in order to learn a character, you gotta play as him. A good competitive player knows how to adapt and fight against other characters. A lot of people complain about his invisibility when it's not really all that great. Good Sly players BARELY use his invisibility on 1v1. It's pointless. Once you get a good placement of where your Sly is, then you will know the others. After playing as Sly, It was easier for me to locate other Slys.

Now I'm not saying that the character is completely unbalanced or balanced. I'm just giving tips on how to deal with Sly. Cause that's how most players lose or struggle is due to the fact that they don't know other characters. Like last year with M2K (The best MK player) nearly losing to a Sonic player in Brawl in finals.
Message 22 of 24 (58 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7051 posts

Oct 29, 2012

BladeXTails wrote:
The problem with Sly's invisibility is that it is easily notable once the camera pans in. You also have to remember one flaw on his character and that is he cannot block. He spams counter? Grab him. Uses barrel? Short-hop air dodge and punish. Spamming side triangle? Block and punish. Bait Sly(this goes for most of the characters in the beta). Force him to come to you. Idk if you noticed but Radec has sort of an infinite on Sly against a wall with his standard Square.

Now mind you, this is only on FFA. So Sly players will of course be opportunistic with his Supers and invisibility with all the chaos going on. I faced a good Sly 1v1 and I noticed his short commings. His supers are quite readable and it's all about his pressure game, not his combos. However, I was Parappa so I had an easier time with Sly, So I could see a Radec player struggling.

Anyways, I agree that Sly is an amazing character and a complete foil for Radec. But in order to learn a character, you gotta play as him. A good competitive player knows how to adapt and fight against other characters. A lot of people complain about his invisibility when it's not really all that great. Good Sly players BARELY use his invisibility on 1v1. It's pointless. Once you get a good placement of where your Sly is, then you will know the others. After playing as Sly, It was easier for me to locate other Slys.

Now I'm not saying that the character is completely unbalanced or balanced. I'm just giving tips on how to deal with Sly. Cause that's how most players lose or struggle is due to the fact that they don't know other characters. Like last year with M2K (The best MK player) nearly losing to a Sonic player in Brawl in finals.

Like I said im a skilled player. everything you said was only helpful for a 1 vs 1 match, not free for all or 2 vs 2. With other players spamming Radecs sniper or Kratos chains, invis sly has that advantage with his spamming as well. To much going on screen to worry about 1 player. I already know and played as sly. Like you said and I said, slow characters just cant do what you said with Paparappa. His Invis is a big deal. I have a big HD tv. He's basically full Invis. Sure you can see the dust on the ground from jumping but that just tells you where he was or he's getting closer.

Grabbing and etc is not that easy. When you block his eletric attacks he gets knockbacked so you cant grab him that simply. Ive tried baiting. Most of Radecs move seem to miss sly and go over his head. I win sometimes, but I shouldn't have to set him up by running away towards a ditch or hole in the ground to hit him. or even jump and then when he jumps try some sort of ariel move.

Short air jumps you say? Try it all the time. Its ether predicted by sly or Radec is to slow to counter or get far enough or sly spams electric roll/slide.

photo 1-Xzveb9U_zpsedcf7d52.png
Only time will tell.
Message 23 of 24 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1364 posts

Oct 29, 2012

BlueDiamond93 wrote:

BladeXTails wrote:

Like I said im a skilled player. everything you said was only helpful for a 1 vs 1 match, not free for all or 2 vs 2. With other players spamming Radecs sniper or Kratos chains, invis sly has that advantage with his spamming as well. To much going on screen to worry about 1 player. I already know and played as sly. Like you said and I said, slow characters just cant do what you said with Paparappa. His Invis is a big deal. I have a big HD tv. He's basically full Invis. Sure you can see the dust on the ground from jumping but that just tells you where he was or he's getting closer.

Grabbing and etc is not that easy. When you block his eletric attacks he gets knockbacked so you cant grab him that simply. Ive tried baiting. Most of Radecs move seem to miss sly and go over his head. I win sometimes, but I shouldn't have to set him up by running away towards a ditch or hole in the ground to hit him. or even jump and then when he jumps try some sort of ariel move.

Short air jumps you say? Try it all the time. Its ether predicted by sly or Radec is to slow to counter or get far enough or sly spams electric roll/slide.

Actually, he's not fully invisible. And even without the dust that helps indicates where he was, you can still see him but just barely.  It's still overrated but just watch your back when Sly is on the loose.

As for Radec, it seems you know Radec better than I do. So I won't say anything then simply learning something new and agreeing with your points. I'm a Parappa main so I simply Mic grab him and use the use of Up O/Triangle for anti-air.

I also forgot to add that there's other stages that may pamper better for Radec against Sly. Like maybe Invasion with all the drop thru platforms.

Message 24 of 24 (47 Views)
0 Likes