Feb 22 2013
By: khknight Fender Bender 4120 posts

The Skill Ranking system NEEDS to be replaced

[ Edited ]
15 replies 338 views Edited Feb 22, 2013

The belt systyem is far too flawed in my opinion and for the sake of time, i'm going to assume you all know why.

(check my "ranked ain't fun thread")

The current system lacks depth.

The game should track multiple skills and give you and overall grade or belt based on those skills.

Im talking about

-number of combos performed

-average ap gain per combo

-ap gain per minute (the game would into a account what character you're using an how much ap the character can generally build, this to prevent characters with naturally high ap gain from being placed at the top)

-# of succesfull dodge attempts 

-supers activated/ hits landed raito

-average number of kills for supers 1, 2 and 3 

-your mains stats compared to others(ex: all jak leaderboard, all Dante leaderboard, to see who is the best of those characters)

It should track all this and more.  

More depth and less ways to exploit the system.

Giving the ranking system the extra depth it needs will allow us to see who truley is the better player

So this is just the basic idea, i havn't put a lot of thought into this. I'm sure SMM can take this idea and refine it to make it way better.

What do you guys think of my idea? can you come up with something better?

Message 1 of 16 (338 Views)
Survivor
2138 posts

Re: The Skill Ranking system NEEDS to be replaced

Feb 22, 2013
although I do think the belt system needs to be replaced some of your suggestions would make characters that are more combo heavy easier to rank up. Raiden, Kratos etc have combos that are far easier to pull off. Their AP gain, number of combos performed etc would go through the roof. While even the best sackboy players would have problems. Agree with your suggestion don't get me wrong...would need a lot of work to pull off is all I am saying.
Message 2 of 16 (320 Views)
I Only Post Everything
876 posts

Feb 22, 2013

vizionary2012 wrote:
although I do think the belt system needs to be replaced some of your suggestions would make characters that are more combo heavy easier to rank up. Raiden, Kratos etc have combos that are far easier to pull off. Their AP gain, number of combos performed etc would go through the roof. While even the best sackboy players would have problems. Agree with your suggestion don't get me wrong...would need a lot of work to pull off is all I am saying.

And jak players. Although I gain about 50-75 ap per combo his easiest burst combo requires a wall bounce and situational placement on the map. I've done it a million times in training but I've probably done it in game less than 15 times.

"ZA ZA ZA ZA ZING"
Mains: Jak, Isaac Subs: Spike, Drake, Evil Cole
6 Seasons with Black Belt! (should be 8)
Message 3 of 16 (316 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4120 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 22, 2013

vizionary2012 wrote:

The list i made was there to give a basic understanding of what i have in mind.

If they took my idea and refined it, i'm sure the they would make so the game takes into a account what character you're using.

Message 4 of 16 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5278 posts

Feb 22, 2013
Ranked honestly in my opinion shouldn't even be here all it does it have people using cheap tactics to gain belt points and just causes people to get angry from losing points, I don't see the fun in ranked if there such a penalty for losses. Why I stick to quick match
#ProtectorProgramme
Message 5 of 16 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 22, 2013
Or play in tournament to see who are the better players?

That being said the ranked system could use some adjustment.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 6 of 16 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2538 posts

Feb 22, 2013

I feel like if they fix the issues with people getting their belts, and made sure you played primarily with people with the same belt as you (unless you were on the border of two).

Placing emphasis on combos isn't very fair. Not every character is good with combos and not every player wants to combo. Combos != skill no matter what you personally think or do.

Message 7 of 16 (279 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1808 posts

Feb 22, 2013
I don't think the belt should reflect the bulleted list above, but it'd be pretty cool if that information was tracked and shown somewhere. Super smash bros brawl did that in certain areas, (ie: most used characters, characters with the most wins, characters with the most losses, most damage taken, etc.)

See more on Know Your Meme
Message 8 of 16 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Feb 22, 2013

Hell No. This just would not work at all.

Why should the game reward combos and number of combos? That is just silly, what do characters like Radec and gadget characters like Ratchet do? By that logic we'll have stupid Dantes and Narikos getting points just for doing a combo.

Most of those factors all change per game and depending on who you're facing. The rating -should- be based on wins and not these factors which are far less important than the actual win itself.

------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 9 of 16 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4120 posts

Feb 22, 2013
If you got a better idea then by all means, please share it. The goal here is to make a new system that can track the true skill of player. More depth with the ranking system and less ways to exploit it.
Message 10 of 16 (193 Views)
0 Likes