Fender Bender
2440 posts

Re: The Roster

Dec 21, 2012

I agree with you 100%, though I will say that this game is really lacking in content.

Besides, I doubt it would even matter if we got Crash and Spyro, the majority of players would still stick to "noob-friendly" Kratos and "easy-to-win-with" Raiden.

Message 31 of 43 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1868 posts

Dec 21, 2012
^ too bad this is so true
Message 32 of 43 (138 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2012

[Quote]Since the arguments against the roster have popped up AGAIN, I would like to compile a few responses to them.

This game needs Snake, Spyro, Crash, and Cloud! How could Sony do this to us!?

-These are ALL 3rd  party characters, meaning their rights of use are owned by another company (Konami, Activision, Activision, and Square Enix, respectively) and Sony/SuperBot must get permission from these companies to use the character.

-These 3rd party companies may often want a franchise that has proven itself to be good and/or sell tons before they lend their character to it. They may not want to allow their characters into a subpar game as it hurts their image. 

[/quote]

Understandable, except Acitivison once said in a tweet post that they were interested in having Crash be in Playstation All-stars... and while yes, they are 3rd party, they are very iconicly known for being assosciated with Playstation. Its just dissapointing from a fan perspective to not see them in this game.

[Quote]

Why are characters like Big Daddy in this when he is not known as a Playstation character?

-The big reason here is that 2K Games threw it SuperBot and said "go wild." But also, the character is unlike any other in the game. He is heavy, but he has a very interesting moveset and style. He fits well from a brawler game standpoint.

Why are there only 20 characters?! Super Smash Bros. has over 30!

-Brawl is the third entry in the Smash franchise. The characters brought over from the past games are established in look and basic moveset. They are "Copy, Paste, EDIT" and voila= you have a foundation of characters before you even make a new one.

*RESPONSE* But this is a different generation! There is no excuse!

-Blazblue, a beloved franchise of this generation, only had 8 characters. 

-And look at the 20 you get! Besides the 2 Coles, none of them play alike at all besides a few similarities like being able to roll and block. Smash is clone galore! Fox, Falco, Wolf, Capt. Falcon, Ganondorf, Link, Toon Link, Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi (Melee), Pikachu, Pichu, Mewtew, Lucario (copy, paste, edit is seen perfectly with these two). This game has 18 unique characters and the two that are similar only share a few moves!

[/quote]

True enough but in that case, I suggest they took more time to develop the game so we could have at least 10 more characters. The roster size severly bothers me. Sure, for fighting games that are stand-alones they tend to start out smaller, but for crossovers... in this day and age, small rosters just will not cut it! Don't get me wrong, I love this game. It is a really fun game, but when a roster is this tiny, and lacking some key franchises that helped build sony (Regardless of if they're 3rd party or not) it will inevitably dissapoint people.

[Quote]

The DLC is only free for 2 weeks! What a cash-in!

-YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THEM FOR FREE WITHOUT OWNING THE GAME!

-Plus, Seth Killian said the 2 week thing is not guaranteed to stick (PS blog post).

-Free is good. Shut up.

-The characters were not even developed before the game came out, why should you get them for free anyway? The only DLC that should be free is DLC made before the game came out. This is not a Capcom moment.

This roster STILL SUCKS!

-Then stop acting like the game should be how you like it. Be a good consumer and speak your mind by not being annoying on the forum and not buy the game. Your money speaks. You are just being an irritant by constantly whining about things that cannot be changed at this point (it is even worse when you did not even buy the game because you have no reason to whine like this). They are not going to make a free patch with all 500 characters and stages you want.

[/quote]

I personally don't think the roster sucks, I'm just dissapointed. And boycotting the game would be like telling a company "We don't like the concept", or could give off that message. I LOVE the concept of a Playstation version of Smash Bros (but with its own uinque ideas). My only issue is that the roster dissapointed me greatly. So I bought the game in order to show I want this game franchise to continue, but expressed my complaints not because I'm a whiney b**** (though some people here have acted rather whiney) but to state this dissapointment and to directly state whom I'd like to see in order to attempt to see if their DLC options could provide better results. Heck,  they don't have to be free. I'll pay for them! Granted, I'll only pay for characters I want, the ones I don't care for or am neutral about..I'll simply get for free or not at all. But that can happen with DLC anyways, get what you want, don't get what you dont. I think its a beautiful system really. We get more even after the game releases. (sadly people like Capcom abuse that privlage but that's another story). Just don't assume all of us who are complaining are incapable of being rational and reasonable. Smiley Happy

Sephi

Message 33 of 43 (119 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1807 posts

Dec 22, 2012
Sephi, for your first response I'd just like to clarify that it was someone from the Activision Support Twitter that posted that he/she would love to see Crash in the game. Unfortunately, those that work at Activision Support have absolutely no authority or say in the matters of what goes on in the actual business
Message 34 of 43 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
325 posts

Dec 22, 2012
All stars trumps brawl in numerous ways? Dafaq i just read? ._.
Message 35 of 43 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2012

DosTheGHOST24 wrote:
All stars trumps brawl in numerous ways? Dafaq i just read? ._.

It makes perfect sense. Brawl has absolutely no depth in its gameplay. This game has a combo system and a diverse array of supers to make winning more interesting and take a bit more skill.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 36 of 43 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

Dec 22, 2012

SephiVA wrote:

They are key franchises, but we must understand they are 3rd party. These guys are saying "You should not have made the game without these characters!" and that is plain stupid

Message 37 of 43 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1361 posts

Dec 22, 2012
I decided to play brawl today, and wow online is laggy as hell, i got bored REALLY fast and wanted to go back to all star.

Imo all star trumps brawl ~_~
Message 38 of 43 (81 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Dec 23, 2012
I disagree on that being stupid. I feel it is in fact, stupid they released the game without these characters as well. Just because they are no longe first party..doesn't mean they are unneeded. Crash Bandicoot and Final Fantasy VIII built up a lot Playstation, no if-ands-or-buts.
Message 39 of 43 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

Dec 23, 2012

SephiVA wrote:
I disagree on that being stupid. I feel it is in fact, stupid they released the game without these characters as well. Just because they are no longe first party..doesn't mean they are unneeded. Crash Bandicoot and Final Fantasy VIII built up a lot Playstation, no if-ands-or-buts.

I would rather have the game without the characters over not having it at all. You need to get over it at some point and enjoy the game for what it is and not what it cannot be or could never be. 

I am sure they tried to get the characters (they even mentioned trying to acquire Crash, but they said no!). It is not that they are unneeded or unwanted, rather they just cannot be in the game. It is stupid the greedy corporations will not lend rights for the game, but the game came out great and many people here would agree it is great even without those characters. 

Message 40 of 43 (57 Views)
0 Likes