Gaming Beast
1670 posts

Re: The Next DLC Character Deserves To Be An RPG Rep

Jan 28, 2013

In terms of RPG characters, the most likely are Dart, a Wild Arms rep, a Dark Cloud rep or the main guy from White Knight Chronicles, since they're all Sony characters. Maybe throw in Ellen from Folklore too (although some may argue over that being an RPG)

A FF character (most likely Cloud or Lightning) seems sensible, it's just a case of getting Squeenix to co-operate.

Sora is highly unlikely since it's a third party that'd need to consult with ANOTHER third party. I heard that Squeenix contemplated putting Sora in Dissidia but decided that it'd be too much trouble getting Disney's permission. So basically, if he couldn't appear in Squeenix's own crossover fighting game, he has even less chance appearing here.

More obscure characters, such as those from Persona and Disgaea, seem really unlikely. While RPG fans may recognise them, literally no one else would, and releasing those as DLC would be a slightly poor decision in my eyes.

That's my thoughts on the RPG matter.

I make PS All-Stars History videos, yo!
Current vid: Franzea (stage)
Message 81 of 155 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3580 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

@Bobthepetferret

There arent many people that recognize kat or Emmett Graves.

So that isn't a reason to keep out characters. Especially since they will be sold in packs.

Plus, the fighting game community recognizes Persona also. So a rep from persona would help attract JRPG players, fighting game players and Japanese gamers.

Message 82 of 155 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1670 posts

Jan 28, 2013

retrosoul22 wrote:

@Bobthepetferret

But they are Sony characters Smiley Wink

Here's the thing: obscure Sony characters kinda make sense from a sort of legacy standpoint, sort of like Fire Emblem and Mother characters in Smash Bros. Not many people have heard of them, but they do have a strong connection to PlayStation since they're made by the same company.

Obscure third party characters? Not so much. Persona/Disgaea/other obscure third party RPG reps don't have nearly as much connection to PlayStation as a brand as Sony's own RPG stable and they're nowhere near as iconic as, say, Final Fantasy.

Not a lot of people would have heard of Folklore either, but I still say a character from that stands more of a chance than someone from Persona simply because it's a Sony game. Not saying you can't dream that those characters will make it in, I just honestly doubt it ever will.

Message 83 of 155 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
233 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

As long as the other character is Abe I´m okay with a RPG Rep.

Message 84 of 155 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3580 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

Bobthepetferret wrote:

retrosoul22 wrote:

@Bobthepetferret

Here's the thing: obscure Sony characters kinda make sense from a sort of legacy standpoint, sort of like Fire Emblem and Mother characters in Smash Bros. Not many people have heard of them, but they do have a strong connection to PlayStation since they're made by the same company.

Obscure third party characters? Not so much. Persona/Disgaea/other obscure third party RPG reps don't have nearly as much connection to PlayStation as a brand as Sony's own RPG stable and they're nowhere near as iconic as, say, Final Fantasy.

Not a lot of people would have heard of Folklore either, but I still say a character from that stands more of a chance than someone from Persona simply because it's a Sony game. Not saying you can't dream that those characters will make it in, I just honestly doubt it ever will.

Actually, Fire Emblem and MOTHER is a bad comparison since they were well know in Japan. So a A LOT of people knew Marth and Ness.

So they'd choose someone from games Sony completely forgot over a character that is from a game currently doing better than All-Stars? lol

Message 85 of 155 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1823 posts

Jan 28, 2013

Bobthepetferret wrote:

Not so much. Persona/Disgaea/other obscure third party RPG reps don't have nearly as much connection to PlayStation as a brand as Sony's own RPG stable and they're nowhere near as iconic as, say, Final Fantasy.

I believe that every publisher who has been good to Sony deserves some recognition in this game. A Disgaea and Persona rep wouldn't just be representing their own titles, they'd be carrying the torch for Nippon Ichi Software and Atlus, two major publishers that have been exceptionally loyal to the Playstation brand.

I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:

Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg

Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.

Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 86 of 155 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Jan 28, 2013
Abe would be a terrible character
Message 87 of 155 (89 Views)
Fender Bender
3580 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

Negimafan wrote:

Bobthepetferret wrote:

Not so much. Persona/Disgaea/other obscure third party RPG reps don't have nearly as much connection to PlayStation as a brand as Sony's own RPG stable and they're nowhere near as iconic as, say, Final Fantasy.

I believe that every publisher who has been good to Sony deserves some recognition in this game. A Disgaea and Persona rep wouldn't just be representing their own titles, they'd be carrying the torch for Nippon Ichi Software and Atlus, two major publishers that have been exceptionally loyal to the Playstation brand.

This.

Plus, i doubt a Folklore rep will ever get in this game anyway. If any first party JRPG reps beat a Persona rep, it will be Dart and possibly Rudy.

Message 88 of 155 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1670 posts

Jan 28, 2013

retrosoul22 wrote:

Bobthepetferret wrote:

retrosoul22 wrote:

@Bobthepetferret

Actually, Fire Emblem and MOTHER is a bad comparison since they were well know in Japan. So a A LOT of people knew Marth and Ness.

So they'd choose someone from games Sony completely forgot over a character that is from a game currently doing better than All-Stars? lol

Not a bad comparison at all. How many people OUTSIDE Japan had heard of Fire Emblem prior to Marth's appearance in Melee? Wasn't Earthbound a huge flop in the west too? Like, it did so bad in the US that the game never saw a European releasE?

The point is that this game is getting a worldwide release, with an emphasis on the west (made in the US, plus the game's not even out in Japan yet!), so any character that is lesser known in the West is likely to get less of a look-in. That's a fact that needs to be remembered here.

And yes, because it's a legacy thing. Priority really is likely to be given to first party characters and iconic third parties. I'm not saying a Folklore rep is gonna happen, just I see it more than a Persona rep personally. I'd genuinely question the decision if a Persona rep made it in over a Sony RPG rep (most likely Dart or Rudy due to the amount of requests) or a Final Fantasy rep.

Message 89 of 155 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
827 posts

Jan 28, 2013

Dark Cloud lolno

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not? Dark cloud series screams RPG. Its all about building up your character and customizing your weapons so they can upgrade into various other weapons. You fight monsters to gain exp and can find various items and weapons in chest which could be traps. Every weapon can be custimized for a specific thing. Every area has their own boss fight, decent amount of side quests and mini games to do and you build your village as you fight and defeat areas. You can switch characters at will (first one you could have a total of 6 characters).

Message 90 of 155 (74 Views)
0 Likes