Reply
Gaming Beast
Registered: 09/09/2012
Offline
1670 posts
 

Re: The Next DLC Character Deserves To Be An RPG Rep

Jan 28, 2013

Negimafan wrote:

Bobthepetferret wrote:

Not so much. Persona/Disgaea/other obscure third party RPG reps don't have nearly as much connection to PlayStation as a brand as Sony's own RPG stable and they're nowhere near as iconic as, say, Final Fantasy.


I believe that every publisher who has been good to Sony deserves some recognition in this game. A Disgaea and Persona rep wouldn't just be representing their own titles, they'd be carrying the torch for Nippon Ichi Software and Atlus, two major publishers that have been exceptionally loyal to the Playstation brand.


Think of big-name third party publishers. When I think of this I think of Capcom, Konami, Namco, Squeenix, Ubisoft, EA, Activision, that kind of thing. I genuinely never think of Atlus. At times I forget Atlus are even a publisher, not just a developer. So the idea of putting in their characters for the sake of repping those publishers seems a little odd to me. Again, when it comes to third parties, being iconic seems more important than anything else, and those publishers and their games aren't as iconic as many other choices.

I make PS All-Stars History videos, yo!
Current vid: Franzea (stage)
Message 91 of 155 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 11/30/2011
Offline
538 posts
 

Re: The Next DLC Character Deserves To Be An RPG Rep

Jan 28, 2013
Because the protagonists in both games were terrible and the games just weren't that great.
The only RPG characters that stand a chance, and mark my words, is a Final Fantasy character or Persona character. Legend of Dragoon might stand a chance but I doubt it because of how small it is compared to the other two.
Message 92 of 155 (125 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/23/2012
Offline
3580 posts
 

Re: The Next DLC Character Deserves To Be An RPG Rep

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

Bobthepetferret wrote:

retrosoul22 wrote:

Bobthepetferret wrote:

retrosoul22 wrote:

@Bobthepetferret

There arent many people that recognize kat or Emmett Graves.


But they are Sony characters Smiley Wink

 

Here's the thing: obscure Sony characters kinda make sense from a sort of legacy standpoint, sort of like Fire Emblem and Mother characters in Smash Bros. Not many people have heard of them, but they do have a strong connection to PlayStation since they're made by the same company.

 

Obscure third party characters? Not so much. Persona/Disgaea/other obscure third party RPG reps don't have nearly as much connection to PlayStation as a brand as Sony's own RPG stable and they're nowhere near as iconic as, say, Final Fantasy.

 

Not a lot of people would have heard of Folklore either, but I still say a character from that stands more of a chance than someone from Persona simply because it's a Sony game. Not saying you can't dream that those characters will make it in, I just honestly doubt it ever will.


Actually, Fire Emblem and MOTHER is a bad comparison since they were well know in Japan. So a A LOT of people knew Marth and Ness.

 

So they'd choose someone from games Sony completely forgot over a character that is from a game currently doing better than All-Stars? lol


Not a bad comparison at all. How many people OUTSIDE Japan had heard of Fire Emblem prior to Marth's appearance in Melee? Wasn't Earthbound a huge flop in the west too? Like, it did so bad in the US that the game never saw a European releasE?

 

The point is that this game is getting a worldwide release, with an emphasis on the west (made in the US, plus the game's not even out in Japan yet!), so any character that is lesser known in the West is likely to get less of a look-in. That's a fact that needs to be remembered here.

 

And yes, because it's a legacy thing. Priority really is likely to be given to first party characters and iconic third parties. I'm not saying a Folklore rep is gonna happen, just I see it more than a Persona rep personally. I'd genuinely question the decision if a Persona rep made it in over a Sony RPG rep (most likely Dart or Rudy due to the amount of requests) or a Final Fantasy rep.


Earthbound was a flop because Nintendo's marketing strategy for it was saying that it smelled
Message 93 of 155 (125 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/23/2012
Offline
3580 posts
 

Re: The Next DLC Character Deserves To Be An RPG Rep

Jan 28, 2013

Sorry for the double post. The site wont let me edit for some reason.

Message 94 of 155 (122 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 06/30/2012
Offline
1823 posts
 

Re: The Next DLC Character Deserves To Be An RPG Rep

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

I'm sorry, Bobthepetferret, but that entire post sounds like complete conjecture (if I'm reading it right). You ought to try being more worldly about gaming, instead of dismissing things out of hand because you personally don't play them.

 

I may not play anything Atlus or NIS have made, but I can see that they deliver. They're listed as some of the top 20 publishers in the world. They've done this while staying very loyal to Sony.

 

And I don't think you're right to project your perspectives on SuperBot's business strategy. If they wanted a western emphasis on PSASBR, they wouldn't have gone with Million Monkeys Spike or used Toro at all; they wouldn't have considered Gravity Rush, which was the Tokyo Game Show's game of the year.

 

The truth is that while Final Fantasy is the most successful exported Japanese RPG, within Japan the title is held by Dragon Quest (owned by Enix before the merger) while the Shin Megami Tensei franchise has long been considered the only direct competitor for Square Enix (much like SNK and Capcom regarding Street Fighter and King of Fighters, which was reason enough for Capcom vs. SNK). These publishers generally don't see much beyond their borders: sales outside Japan are a bonus to them. If you really want Squeenix's attention, you need characters which the Japanese will find appealing.

 

More popular Japanese sales will be the fastest way to getting Squeenix characters, which in turn generates more western sales. It's that simple.

______________________________________________________________________________


I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:


Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg


Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.


Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 95 of 155 (115 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 09/15/2012
Offline
450 posts
 

Re: The Next DLC Character Deserves To Be An RPG Rep

Jan 28, 2013

 

Persona 4 golden which is a vita game only sold 40k less than this game. Also, p4g is the highest rated jrpg of all time if you don't count loz as an rpg.

Message 96 of 155 (107 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/23/2012
Offline
3580 posts
 

Re: The Next DLC Character Deserves To Be An RPG Rep

Jan 28, 2013
Negimafan summed up everything. (I tried adding that to my post but the site won't let me edit)
Message 97 of 155 (98 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 06/04/2009
Offline
558 posts
 

Re: The Next DLC Character Deserves To Be An RPG Rep

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

Persona and Disgaea not having much connection to Playstation? what?! mind you P4G is a top JRPG on the list and the persona series has been exclusive to PS. 2nd like someone said if they want to appeal to the japan market they would include some of these JRPG character Yu, Cloud/Lightning and even Etna why? cause they are very famous out there. I dont mind if Yu doesnt make it but at least a Jrpg or rpg rep gets in ill be happy


Message 98 of 155 (89 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 09/09/2012
Offline
1670 posts
 

Re: The Next DLC Character Deserves To Be An RPG Rep

Jan 28, 2013

Negimafan wrote:

I'm sorry, Bobthepetferret, but that entire post sounds like complete conjecture (if I'm reading it right). You ought to try being more worldly about gaming, instead of dismissing things out of hand because you personally don't play them.

 

I may not play anything Atlus or NIS have made, but I can see that they deliver. They're listed as some of the top 20 publishers in the world. They've done this while staying very loyal to Sony.

 

And I don't think you're right to project your perspectives on SuperBot's business strategy. If they wanted a western emphasis on PSASBR, they wouldn't have gone with Million Monkeys Spike or used Toro at all; they wouldn't have considered Gravity Rush, which was the Tokyo Game Show's game of the year.

 

The truth is that while Final Fantasy is the most successful Japanese export RPG, within Japan the title is held by Dragon Quest (owned by Enix before the merger) while the Shin Megami Tensei franchise has long been considered the only direct competitor for Square Enix (much like SNK and Capcom regarding Street Fighter and King of Fighters). These publishers generally don't see much beyond their borders: sales outside Japan are a bonus to them. If you really want Squeenix's attention, you need characters which the Japanese will find appealing.

 

More popular Japanese sales will be the fastest way to getting Squeenix characters, which in turn generates more western sales. It's that simple.


I'm not dismissing things because I haven't played them. I'm dismissing them based on what's likely and what isn't based on what I've seen in the game so far.

 

 

You claim that NIS and Atlus are among the top 20 publishers in the world...but they're both right at the bottom, and all those other publishers I mentioned? Way above them, which kinda solidifies my point that they aren't on the same level as the likes of Capcom, Namco and Konami (who do have reps already), and, yes, Squeenix.

 

The thing about Western characters being the primary focus is simply because Superbot are an American company and their view on popular characters would have a Western-centric view. The fact that they didn't even seem to have considered Wild Arms, Legend Of Dragoon or anything made by Level 5 despite them being Sony franchises certainly seems to help my opinion that yes, the Western view wins here. The fact that the game is STILL not out in Japan yet also speaks volumes about how much this game is catered for the Japanese.

 

Yes, Toro is here, but he is Sony's mascot, so he's pretty much inevitable and most likely here by contractual obligation from Sony execs, and Spike is from a Sony franchise that did have success in the West (and was the first game on the PS1 to use the Dual Shock to its full advantage), it's just that their developers asked to get Million Monkeys representation as part of his character. Kat was heavily requested by Western fans as a good Vita rep (this forum being a good example of this), so it's not so clear-cut about her inclusion catering exclusively for the Japanese.

 

I'm aware of Dragon Quest's success, but the issue with their inclusion is just how many games in that franchise seem to be Nintendo-centric (with some games even being published by Nintendo in the west), while FF is the big Squeenix RPG with the closest link to Sony.

 

And don't go thinking my comments are dismissing the likes of Persona or Disgaea as games, in fact, they're both franchises that are on my gaming wishlist. I just think that, in the grand scheme of things, based on the kinds of characters we've had so far, reps from those games seem far-fetched in comparison to others.

 

Also, why would Superbot go chasing after smaller characters on the off-chance it nets them bigger characters? It's such a bizarre idea that doesn't make a lot of sense.

I make PS All-Stars History videos, yo!
Current vid: Franzea (stage)
Message 99 of 155 (87 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 09/15/2012
Offline
450 posts
 

Re: The Next DLC Character Deserves To Be An RPG Rep

Jan 28, 2013

 

^Atlus wants a Persona rep. Plus persona is more popular than gravity rush. Persona 4 golden is japans highest selling vita game. Gravity rush just looks more popular, the GR fans here are the majority of the hole fanbase. Also persona 4 sold more than wild arms despite being on a dead console, and wild arms 2 was released in the golden age of jrpgs.

Message 100 of 155 (74 Views)
Reply
0 Likes