Fender Bender
3500 posts

Re: The Myth of "Roster Spots"

Sep 25, 2012

Fear4TheHero47 wrote:
Also in school for game design and I agree with both Stefam and Ark. Usually, things like the roster are thought of pretty early to get the team time to work on the characters and balance them, think up moves, etc. Honestly, the roster should be finalized for the most part in the first 3-6 months of the development cycle, if not sooner. This can change obviously and also varies from team to team, but this should be largely universal. Sometimes there are last minute additions before the game goes into beta or gold status, but generally speaking, once a game is gold or even in beta, most of the creation is done and all that's left is usually hours of testing and adjustments to code and UI elements.

Put bluntly, the roster has probably been finalized for a while now unless they had extra resources to allocate towards the development of more characters. If a character didn't make it in, it's most likely because a license wasn't acquired in time, they just didn't fit, or someone else (Evil Cole, Dante, whoever) fit better. That doesn't make them a wasted slot. That makes them better equipped to fit within the scope and style of the game than anyone that didn't make the cut. There are less than two months left. The game should be gold right now (or extremely close) and anything that's going to be created for release is likely done. Any more and you're looking at DLC most likely.

Incidentally, what schools are you both attending? I'm going to Full Sail Online. In month 7, Design Tools 1. I'd have attended formally, but I have a wife, 2 kids, and a job at Chrysler (Detroit). Can't just up and be moving around whenever I please.

Cool someone from detroit. Im at macomb community college. You guys obvioulsy have some years on me kuz ive only been in the class for 4 weeks but atleast i got the general concept

IT'S MY WAY OR . . . HELL IT'S MY WAY
Message 21 of 40 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
759 posts

Sep 25, 2012
What high school did you go to homie? I currently stay in Clinton Township, but I used to stay in Detroit and I went to Pershing.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Colossal King
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Gravity Queen
Message 22 of 40 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3500 posts

Sep 25, 2012

Fear4TheHero47 wrote:
What high school did you go to homie? I currently stay in Clinton Township, but I used to stay in Detroit and I went to Pershing.

Stevenson, the one in sterling heights not livonia

Message 23 of 40 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
759 posts

Sep 25, 2012
Awesome. It's cool to know that there are fellow game designers in the area. It'd be cool if we worked together at some point. Just don't ever go to the International Academy of Design and Technology. Largest waste of money I've ever spent.

Message 24 of 40 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3500 posts

Sep 25, 2012

Fear4TheHero47 wrote:
Awesome. It's cool to know that there are fellow game designers in the area. It'd be cool if we worked together at some point. Just don't ever go to the International Academy of Design and Technology. Largest waste of money I've ever spent.

Yea not 100% sure if i want to go into game design. I like it but i also like pharmacy. And people tell me im funny and should do stand up comedy (not joking).

Message 25 of 40 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
759 posts

Sep 25, 2012
Lol, comedy is never a bad idea. My mom is a nurse so I strayed away from any med fields even though pharmacy is good money. Design, Physics, Psychology, and Philosophy are the only things that ever interested me. Oddly enough, the last three things are included in Game Design so this field was an obvious choice for me.

Message 26 of 40 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
387 posts

Sep 25, 2012
I think what most are concerned about is the potential lack of key characters like crash and wander. But I truly believe we won't know the full content in EVERY aspect won't be know until the FULL game releases. People also need to remember: DLC
DLC guarantees an unlimited amount of characters, stages, ect.
When in doubt, freak 'em out.
Message 27 of 40 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2516 posts

Sep 25, 2012

Incorrect, at least if its not intended to be infinite. Some titles actually have a 'DLC Lock'; see MVC3, SF4 Vanilla...

Message 28 of 40 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
219 posts

Sep 25, 2012

At the end of the day the roster is going to be a certain size by the time the game comes out. If the devs want 25 characters they'll put in 25. If they want 22 they'll put in 22 etc. So unless superbot are planning on putting in every single video game character ever made then there absolutly are spots and some characters will be sidelined in favour of others. FACT! 

Message 29 of 40 (62 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1670 posts

Sep 25, 2012

MarrowOchi wrote:

Downloadable content is, yes, good, but remember; there's a limit to this too. Its not so much 'on disc DLC' either. They'd have to program the game to be able to accept any additional DLC. Why do you think they stopped making DLC characters for the newest Mortal Kombat? They had 4 DLC characters and there was talk of expanding but they couldn't; the disc was simply full.

Slight issue with this comment. DLC doesn't download to the disc, it downloads to your hard drive. Game discs are read-only, and any additional data is read as if it were a save file, not as if it was coming off the disc. The Mortal Kombat DLC was probably stopped for another reason (perhaps the original DLC didn't sell too well?).

I make PS All-Stars History videos, yo!
Current vid: Franzea (stage)
Message 30 of 40 (51 Views)
0 Likes