Uncharted Territory
1360 posts

Re: The Myth of "Roster Spots"

Sep 25, 2012

I don't understand why people complain about this when it's all in a misunderstanding or just in ignorance. I don't eremember anyone considering Dan a waste of a spot. From what I've seen on these forums, people were picking on Fat Princess, DmC Dante and like you said, Evil Cole. I personally don't care, I love their inclusions and from what I see there is no set number of the roster. 

All I see are pleople blindly assuming that there is a max when there has been no confirmation. Even worse that they use that term of Superbots way of not responding as a response as if to clarify an otherwise delusional thought of a max roster. There is a "sweet spot" in the amount of characters put in a game but there never is a "set number". Especially when the blu-ray disk's excellent tech in the memory department. There's also the common concept that it's the company's first fighting game. They WILL start off small no matter what, and eventually their roster will build. Right now I just see impatience and ungratefulness from some fans and it doesn't make us look good whatsoever. I've literally read articles of this.

Myth Busted indeed my friend. There is no set number. Anyone who thinks otherwise is quite foolhardy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 11 of 40 (175 Views)
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Sep 25, 2012

i hope you all aren't getting the wrong idea from me.  i love this game and most of the characters in it and have even sent emails to superbot saying that

Message 12 of 40 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3500 posts

Sep 25, 2012
Well ive been closely following how the game is being made. I'm going to school to be a game designer so here's what i think. When they first though of the game they were like ok our goal is to release on October 23 with 24 characters. Now once they are finished with this 24 they realize they have time to put more in. Or if they don't have time cut some spots out. Do I think they created a limit? Yes and no. I think they thought of a fair amount at the time and see where it takes them later on.
IT'S MY WAY OR . . . HELL IT'S MY WAY
Message 13 of 40 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1360 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 25, 2012

Basically Stefan, a "sweet spot". A range of characters for a favourable amount (which can be increased at any point in time). =D

Message 14 of 40 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2516 posts

Sep 25, 2012

The reason people say 24-26 is, that's a reasonable amount for a disc release.

Message 15 of 40 (150 Views)
Fender Bender
3500 posts

Sep 25, 2012
Or they could pick a range of numbers too. Like they say when the game comes out we are aiming to have 22-30 characters and see how far they get.
Message 16 of 40 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
288 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 25, 2012

StefanForsell24 wrote:
Or they could pick a range of numbers too. Like they say when the game comes out we are aiming to have 22-30 characters and see how far they get.

I am also going into game design and its more realistically to assume they started out with 30-40 ideas for characters and through productions things get dropped off cause of multiple reasons such as conflict of interest with other developers, legal issues , doesn't fit into the story ,gameplay not fitting into the game, and just plainly their not fun . Those characters get put onto the back burner because if they can manage to use the assets elsewhere it can save a huge amount of time ex background character, generic male form. Its a general rule of thumb u start of with a big ideas of where u want the production to go and then as time goes on things become more focused and features get taken out and added till they find the language of the game. Often what a game started out as is not all that close to what it finishes as

<for those of u that have read my msg's I edit cause IM a bit dyslexic and not everything comes out as I originally intended it to >

Message 17 of 40 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
759 posts

Sep 25, 2012
Also in school for game design and I agree with both Stefam and Ark. Usually, things like the roster are thought of pretty early to get the team time to work on the characters and balance them, think up moves, etc. Honestly, the roster should be finalized for the most part in the first 3-6 months of the development cycle, if not sooner. This can change obviously and also varies from team to team, but this should be largely universal. Sometimes there are last minute additions before the game goes into beta or gold status, but generally speaking, once a game is gold or even in beta, most of the creation is done and all that's left is usually hours of testing and adjustments to code and UI elements.

Put bluntly, the roster has probably been finalized for a while now unless they had extra resources to allocate towards the development of more characters. If a character didn't make it in, it's most likely because a license wasn't acquired in time, they just didn't fit, or someone else (Evil Cole, Dante, whoever) fit better. That doesn't make them a wasted slot. That makes them better equipped to fit within the scope and style of the game than anyone that didn't make the cut. There are less than two months left. The game should be gold right now (or extremely close) and anything that's going to be created for release is likely done. Any more and you're looking at DLC most likely.

Incidentally, what schools are you both attending? I'm going to Full Sail Online. In month 7, Design Tools 1. I'd have attended formally, but I have a wife, 2 kids, and a job at Chrysler (Detroit). Can't just up and be moving around whenever I please.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Colossal King
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Gravity Queen
Message 18 of 40 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
759 posts

Sep 25, 2012
Pardon, I meant month 6.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Colossal King
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Gravity Queen
Message 19 of 40 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3500 posts

Sep 25, 2012

ark567 wrote:

StefanForsell24 wrote:

I am also going into game design and its more realistically to assume they started out with 30-40 ideas for characters and through productions things get dropped off cause of multiple reasons such as conflict of interest with other developers, legal issues , doesn't fit into the story ,gameplay not fitting into the game, and just plainly their not fun . Those characters get put onto the back burner because if they can manage to use the assets elsewhere it can save a huge amount of time ex background character, generic male form. Its a general rule of thumb u start of with a big ideas of where u want the production to go and then as time goes on things become more focused and features get taken out and added till they find the language of the game. Often what a game started out as is not all that close to what it finishes as

<for those of u that have read my msg's I edit cause IM a bit dyslexic and not everything comes out as I originally intended it to >

Yea that. Sorry i keep my posts short and sweet kuz i would have gone more in depth like you did.

Message 20 of 40 (122 Views)
0 Likes