Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Re: ityRe: The King of All Cosmos CUSTOM MOVESET!

Dec 21, 2012

mtjjrstccw1 wrote:

Bumpity Bump Bump!

bump bump *cymbal crash*

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 101 of 292 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
889 posts

Re: The King of All Cosmos CUSTOM MOVESET!

Dec 21, 2012
Instead of saying bump lets just state more reasons or get more people to agree like a history lesson on katamari damacy
Message 102 of 292 (164 Views)
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Dec 21, 2012

Tmix1600 wrote:
Instead of saying bump lets just state more reasons or get more people to agree like a history lesson on katamari damacy

That's a really good idea!  I'm going to type up a retrospective of katamari.  One post for each game.  I'm going to go over the 6 main games in the series (i think there's a few for mobile phones but i won't talk about them).  Stay Tuned!

Message 103 of 292 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2013

KATAMARI RETROSPECTIVE: PART 1

The first stop on our retrospective will be the game that started it all…

KatamariDamacybox.jpg

KATAMARI DAMACY for the Playstation2

DEVELOPMENT

The very first game in the series resulted from a school project by Keita Takahashi.  It was made by a team of ten (including Keita Takahashi) and was developed for less than 1 million dollars (1/10th of the cost that it took to make other Namco best sellers such as Soul Calibur).  The team said they were aiming for four key elements:  novelty, ease of understanding, enjoyment, and humor.  They wanted the game to be simple and pro-actively ignored requests by Namco to make the game more complex.

The game was dubbed a sleeper hit and won several awards such as “Excellence in Game Design” and “Best Innovation”.  It was only released in Japan and North America as Namco thought the game was “too quirky” to do well in European markets. 

NAME

Katamari Damacy literally translates into "clump spirit".  It's used in the same sense as "team spirit" or "enthusiam"

STORY

The story follows the King of All Cosmos.  After a night of heavy binge-drinking, the King gets so incredibly drunk that he accidently destroys all of the stars in the sky.  The next day he tells his son, the Prince, what happened and tasks him with creating katamaris to replace the stars before anyone notices.

I remember playing this at a friend’s house when it first came out and I instantly got hooked on the gameplay and especially the humor.  Next time i'll be talking about the one that most consider to be the best in the series...

(Katamari Damacy Intro Video)

Message 104 of 292 (151 Views)
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2013

KATAMARI RETROSPECTIVE: PART 2

We_♥_Katamari.png

WE LOVE KATAMARI for the Playstation 2

Often considered the best Katamari game by fans, We Love Katamari was the last game in the series that had involvement by Katamari creator Keita Takahashi.

While the levels in the first game usually had an objective of “roll a katamari this big” or “collect x amount of an object”, We Love Katamari added numerous new objectives to spice up gameplay.  For example, one level involved making a snow man.  In another level, you had to roll a sumo wrestler around into food to get him fat enough to roll into his opponent.

We love katamari also contains 2 multiplayer modes, one where you have to create a katamari bigger than your opponent (you can even pick their katamari up if yours is significantly bigger) and cooperative play (where you and a friend are pushing the same katamari, each only having control over half of it.)

EUROPEAN RELEASE

We Love Katamari was the first game to receive a European release.  Since the first game in the series (Katamari Damacy) wasn’t released in Europe, the PAL version of We love katamari also contained the intro movie and cutscenes from the first game.

STORY

The story in We Love Katamari takes place directly after the events in the Katamari Damacy.  After refilling the sky with stars, the King is surprised to see how many people loved the first game and, in turn, how many people now love him.  In order to make his new fans happy, the King decides to take requests for stars from his fans and has his son roll the katamaris to make them.

KING OF ALL COSMOS’S BACKSTORY

This game also contains cut scenes showing the King’s childhood, his relationship with his father, and how he met his future wife.

This game seems to have made the biggest impact on people.  It took everything from the first game and expanded on it.  This game also contains what is usually seen as the most famous iteration of the King (sporting a blue poet shirt, yellow sash, and purple spandex pants).  Tune in next time as I discuss Katamari’s attempt to go handheld…

(We Love Katamari Intro Movie)

Message 105 of 292 (141 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
335 posts

Dec 23, 2012
ummm who is chimera?
16 Characters that should really be in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale: Hero-Patapon3, Blob-LocoRoco, Abe-Abe's Oddessy, Ari+Stan-Okage, Raziel-Soul Reaver, The King of All Cosmos-Katamari, Alex Mercer-Prototype, Isaac Clarke-Dead Space, Cloud-Final Fantasy VII, Spyro-Spyro, Crash-Crash Bandicoot, Tiki Guy-PixelJunk Monsters, Amaterasu-Ōkami, Mega Man-Mega Man X8, Ratonhnhaké:ton-Assassin's Creed III, Kevin Butler+Marcus PSP

^^^THIS LINK BELOW EXPLAINS WHY THEY SHOULD BE ADDED IN. vvv
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/15-MORE-THAN-DESERVING-NEW-CHARACTER-IDEAS-feedback-is/m-p/39129075#U39129075
Message 106 of 292 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Dec 23, 2012

CaptKnucklesFACT wrote:
ummm who is chimera?

what you kill in the resistance games.  I've never played resistance but Joblade suggested that rivalry so i added it

Message 107 of 292 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2013

KATAMARI RETROSPECTIVE: PART 3

Me and my katamari.png

ME AND MY KATAMARI for the Playstation Portable

This games marks the Katamari series’ first handheld game and the first game created without Katamari series creator, Keita Takahashi

STORY

The Royal family decides it’s time to take a vacation and travel down to their own tropical island down on Earth.  While playing in the surf, however, the King accidently creates a tsunami and destroys a nearby island, Paradise Commonwealth Island.  A resident of the island, a turtle, approaches the King and tells him what happened.  The King feel terrible and then decides that he will create new islands for the animals to live on.  The King sends the Prince to the Sunflower Continent (a place filled with things) to create katamari that can be turned into islands.

This game takes place entirely on the Sunflower Continent.  For variety’s sake, the time of day and season changes.

CONTROLS

When on the ps2, Katamari games uses both analog sticks and that’s it.  Since the psp doesn’t have this, the D-pad acted as the left control stick and the four face buttons acted as the right control stick.  The L and R buttons are used as L3 and R3.

I have never played this one but I’ve heard the its biggest flaw is there just isn’t enough variety between the levels and the D-pad/face button combination just doesn’t work as well as analog sticks.

Tune in next time and I’ll talk about Katamari’s turn to the dark side…

(Me and My Katamari Intro Video)

Message 108 of 292 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2013

KATAMARI RETROSPECTIVE: PART 4

Sorry its been so long since i posted the last part of the retrospective.  I've been obsessed with Arkham City.  Now that i've platinumed it i'm back!  If you haven't read the posts about the other games in the retrospective, please do so.  When we last left off, katamari turned to the dark side...

255px-Beautiful_katamari_cover.jpg

BEAUTIFUL KATAMARI for the…the…XBOX360!?

That’s right.  The only non-Playstation exclusive Katamari game, Beautiful Katamari went through a bit of a development hell.

WHICH CONSOLE?

Beautiful Katamari was originally announced in March 2007 to be coming to ps3, xbox 360, and wii.  In April 2007, it was announced to be coming only to ps3 and xbox 360.  In June 2007, it was announced to be coming only to xbox 360 and wii.  In August 2007, it was announced to be coming exclusively to xbox 360.  In September, it was announced to be coming once again to ps3, xbox 360, and wii.  The game was finally released in October 2007…exclusively to xbox 360

STORY

The Royal family are enjoying a friendly game of tennis.  However, the King of All Cosmos accidently serves the ball so hard that it rips through the fabric of the universe itself and creates a black hole so large that it sucks in every celestial body except for the earth.  The King commands the Prince to roll up katamaris to recreate planets, the sun, and other celestial figures.  After the Prince has completed that, he is tasked with creating a katamari so large that it can plug up the black hole for good.  Naturally, the King takes credit for stopping the black hole.

Beautiful Katamari is typically considered the “ugly duckling” of the series by critics.  The game was considered to be too short and seemed to lack the "loving care” that the previous installments were “lavished in”.

Next time, I’ll talk about Katamari’s attempt to right its wrongs

Beautiful Katamari Intro Video

Message 109 of 292 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2013

KATAMARI RETROSPECTIVE: PART 5

KatamariForever.jpg

KATAMARI FOREVER FOR THE PS3

That’s right! Katamari’s return to being a playstation exclusive!  So how did they make it up to us?

FEATURES

The two main things added were the “Princely Hop” and “The King’s Heart”.  The “Princely hop” allows you to press the r1 button to jump (which greatly helps if you get stuck somewhere) and “The King’s Heart” is a power-up.  Rolling into this power-up will either turn your katamari into a magnet for a little while or immediately suck up everything nearby that’s smaller than you.  Katamari Forever contains 34 levels.  It is an hd best off-collection featuring levels from Katamari Damacy, We Love Katamari, and Beautiful Katamari with 3 being entirely brand new.  It contains a total of 36 music tracks, most of them being remixed versions of songs from previous games.  Any level can be played with any music track, with one of 4 visual filters (new, classic, wood, or comic book) and the game runs in full 1080p.  Nearly every level has four versions to play.  These include “Katamari Forever” (playing a level with the Princely Hop and King’s Heart enabled), “Classic Katamari” (playing a level with the Princely Hop and King’s heart disabled), “Katamari Drive” (You have a much smaller time limit but your katamari moves significantly faster), and “Eternal Mode” (No time limits!  Just roll to your heart’s content).  Multiplayer (both vs and co-op) and mini-games are also included.  It was implied that it was the last katamari game.  The Japanese title is “Katamari Tribute.” 

MARKETING: THE KING’S TWITTER

The marketing for this game was absolutely brilliant.  A twitter account was set up for the King of All Cosmos so he could promote the game.  The King would tweet about various things and would have conversations with fans if they tweeted him.  His first tweet was on July 1, 2009.  Even though Katamari Forever was released in September 22, 2009, fans enjoyed talking to him so much that the account remained active until July 1, 2011.

STORY

One day, the King is teaching the Prince how to jump extremely high.  The Prince watches as the King jumps, going higher and higher.  At one point, the King jumps so high into space that a meteor strikes him in the head.  He falls to the ground, asleep, and loses all of his memories.  In order to wake in up, the Prince needs to restore his memories.  However, someone needs to do all of the King’s work in his absence.  The prince calls all of his cousins and together they build the Robo-King.  The Robo-King is a robotic duplicate programmed to do all of the King’s work.  However, the Robo-King glitches out and destroys all of the stars before being fixed by the cousins.  Half of the levels involve rolling katamaris so the Robo-King can rebuild the cosmos.  The other half takes places inside of the King’s head, entering his memories, and speaking with his sub-conscious.  Eventually, a katamari is needed that is so large, it can roll up the King himself and wake him up.  Both the King’s story and Robo-King’s story are played simultaneously. 

In my opinion, this is the best katamari game.  Though the story might not be as memorable as the first two games, it contains the most content out of any katamari game and contains the best levels from the previous games.  A lot of fans has claimed that it is the hardest one but I enjoy the challenge.  If anyone is interested in trying it, there is a free demo in the Japanese and North American PS stores.  This would have been the perfect katamari send-off but one last game was made afterwards…

(Katamari Forever Intro Video)

Message 110 of 292 (157 Views)
0 Likes