Uncharted Territory
1819 posts

Re: The Irony of All-Stars?

Dec 6, 2012

Dude5059 wrote:

In your eyes, maybe. I really like All-Stars. It has it's issues, but I still find the game to be one of the most fun games in a while. Bioshock was fantastic, but not really because it was fun. It was a fantastic piece of storytelling with some really neat atmosphere. I honestly love the whole Bioshock franchise, but to compare the two is pointless. 

Furthermore, I must be the only one in the world that likes the simple menus.

I agree! Well...not completely, Bioshock 2 was really lackluster to me. And in a way, kind of undermined the original's solid ending.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT IS THIS!?
Message 11 of 63 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2388 posts

Dec 6, 2012

SON_OF_KRATOS666 wrote:

boboMELOSHE wrote:
none of these characters come from fighting games so comparing them to their source material is just dumb. If ur a fan of shooters or story u will obviously enjoy ANY game over a fighter. PSASBR is great for what it is. Parappa is crap imo so i agree on that point but Heavenly Sword was amazing. Superbot didnt make this game with solely u in mind. Some people actually did like Parappa, some people do like the new Dante... its a matter of preference.

As a whole though, this game is just dissapointing and outright bad.

they DELAYED it and STILL have a huge amount of bugs and blatant imbalances. PLUS THEY HAD A BETA.

The Menus are terrible, the composition and grouping was done in such a boring and uninspired way.

Arcade mode seems tacked on, relying on the mere hype of seeing polygon man again (who btw, has NO explination as to why he is even there)

Online choices are slim, and currently buggy and unreliable.

Offline mode is simply a joke, no innovation at all.

Honestly, Superbot tried soo hard to make it NOT like Smash, that it turned out to be its biggest downfall.

I agree that this game could have been polished A LOT more, but I dont think it is bad by any means. I never expected an amazing story or tons of options and I dont really care all that much how the menus look. I wanted this game because I wanted to play with my fav characters and that is exactly what I got. I completely understand people being dissapointed by the things u mentioned but in my case, and im sure a lot of others, think this game is a blast. 

Message 12 of 63 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1785 posts

Dec 6, 2012
I think PS All-Stars is a great game on it's own, I think Bioshock is a great game on it's own as well but there are games that I love more than both, but there are games I would play before All-Stars and Bioshock like Sonic Generations or Banjo Kazooie, I love All-Stars but my favorite fighting game will always be UMVC3, I love Bioshock but it's the only FPS that I care about and even then I'm not very good at it because I'm not good at first person shooters in general.

But I would say that I would play Bioshock, Infamous, Uncharted, Jak 3, DMC3, ect. before playing All-Stars but at the same time I would play Mario 64 DS, Kirby Superstar Ultra, Star Fox 64, Zelda Majora's Mask, F-Zero, ect. before Smash Bros.

The point I'm getting across is everyone is entitled to their own opinions, no opinion is fact as much as you make it out to be in the title of this thread.
Message 13 of 63 (139 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Dec 6, 2012

Strife93 wrote:

Dude5059 wrote:

In your eyes, maybe. I really like All-Stars. It has it's issues, but I still find the game to be one of the most fun games in a while. Bioshock was fantastic, but not really because it was fun. It was a fantastic piece of storytelling with some really neat atmosphere. I honestly love the whole Bioshock franchise, but to compare the two is pointless. 

I agree! Well...not completely, Bioshock 2 was really lackluster to me. And in a way, kind of undermined the original's solid ending.

While I agree that 2 was not as good as the first, I still really enjoyed it. I will say, though, that I'm not looking forward to Infinite.

------------------------------------------------
Fresh to death
Message 14 of 63 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1704 posts

Dec 6, 2012

boboMELOSHE wrote:

SON_OF_KRATOS666 wrote:

boboMELOSHE wrote:
none of these characters come from fighting games so comparing them to their source material is just dumb. If ur a fan of shooters or story u will obviously enjoy ANY game over a fighter. PSASBR is great for what it is. Parappa is crap imo so i agree on that point but Heavenly Sword was amazing. Superbot didnt make this game with solely u in mind. Some people actually did like Parappa, some people do like the new Dante... its a matter of preference.

they DELAYED it and STILL have a huge amount of bugs and blatant imbalances. PLUS THEY HAD A BETA.

The Menus are terrible, the composition and grouping was done in such a boring and uninspired way.

Arcade mode seems tacked on, relying on the mere hype of seeing polygon man again (who btw, has NO explination as to why he is even there)

Honestly, Superbot tried soo hard to make it NOT like Smash, that it turned out to be its biggest downfall.

I agree that this game could have been polished A LOT more, but I dont think it is bad by any means. I never expected an amazing story or tons of options and I dont really care all that much how the menus look. I wanted this game because I wanted to play with my fav characters and that is exactly what I got. I completely understand people being dissapointed by the things u mentioned but in my case, and im sure a lot of others, think this game is a blast. 

After games like Smash, and Bioshock, my standards for games are just incredibly high, and All-Stars doesnt come close to it.

Message 15 of 63 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Dec 6, 2012

The game certainly pounds the crap out of Smash in my eyes. I like the characters more, I like the fighting system more, it's just overall more entertaining to me.

And again, Bioshock to this is Potatoes to Tomatoes.

Fresh to death
Message 16 of 63 (126 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1819 posts

Dec 6, 2012

Dude5059 wrote:

Strife93 wrote:

Dude5059 wrote:

While I agree that 2 was not as good as the first, I still really enjoyed it. I will say, though, that I'm not looking forward to Infinite.

Really, why not? Infinite seems to be taking the series to new heights. (Literally!) It looks to rely less on its predecessors so it can do its own thing and remain accessible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT IS THIS!?
Message 17 of 63 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Dec 6, 2012

Strife93 wrote:

Dude5059 wrote:

Strife93 wrote:

Dude5059 wrote:

Really, why not? Infinite seems to be taking the series to new heights. (Literally!) It looks to rely less on its predecessors so it can do its own thing and remain accessible.

I've heard that you can only hold 2 guns in Infinite. That's a huge turn-off for me.

Furthermore, while it may evoke the same feeling and general idea, it just doesn't scream 'Bioshock' to me. It looks like it could be a good game in it's own right, but I'm not comfortable with it being a Bioshock game, if you catch my drift. 

It's also removing the silent protagonist vessel, and giving us an actual character this time. I really don't know what to think of this. This could wind up being either a really good thing or a really bad thing. We'll have to wait and see.

Fresh to death
Message 18 of 63 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2388 posts

Dec 6, 2012

SON_OF_KRATOS666 wrote:

boboMELOSHE wrote:

SON_OF_KRATOS666 wrote:

boboMELOSHE wrote:

After games like Smash, and Bioshock, my standards for games are just incredibly high, and All-Stars doesnt come close to it.

thats fair haha, but to say its bad just because u personally dont like it isnt right when there are obviously a ton of people who do. There was even a thread a little while ago about people who prefer this over smash. I am one of those people, not that smash wasnt awesome, it was, I just dont like nintendo other than Link and Fire Emblem characters.

Message 19 of 63 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1785 posts

Dec 6, 2012
I'll agree that I like All-Stars better than Smash Bros but it's more because of the mechanics for me, combos are a rewarding part of fighting games and you can't really do any in Smash Bros. if you're opponent's % is at a certain point because they'll just fly off too far for you to finish any combo plus there's little to no hit stun even if you could try to combo.

I also feel that there's more strategy to All-Stars because of it's super system, you're not just focusing on you and your own meter but you also have to be aware of everyone else and this is a case where you really have to know the characters to avoid their supers or stop them from getting to their supers by grabbing them and I love the variety of characters, the clone character thing doesn't exist here, even the two Coles feel remarkably different from eachother than say Young Link and Adult Link would feel compared to eachother, and most of all the control my god I absolutely love the control in All-Stars better than Smash Bros.
Message 20 of 63 (112 Views)