Mar 09 2013
By: GuardianRoxas Lombax Warrior 87 posts

The Beauty of Spike

11 replies 360 views Edited Mar 9, 2013

Im sorry for all of you that dont use this character, but he is my all time favorite and im a huge fan of Ape Escape.(Ape Escape 4 announced in 2011!!)

Now i havent read the other topics on Spike, mainly because i feel like people tend to use him the same way, like people use Jak. How do you play Spike? Without a wall, i can't produce a combo higher than 65 AP. I see Spike has so much area control if put to good use. I use a mixture of Rush down and Zoning tactics with Spike, and the only button i dont use in combos is Neutral Circle, because i havent found a useful set up for it yet. I noticed, most players rely on Spikes combo resets (The opponents) so they usually take his combos to the face and just  punish him afterwards. What most Spike players dont know, Spike has LOTS of moves that can produce combos from resets.

Spikes Meta Game with his Bananarang is amazing, and i rarely see anyone use it effectively. The remote satelite thingie imo is only useful in the air, since the time you bring it out and use it is WAY shorter than it is on the ground. Spike can be a dangerous character if used well.

As for Zoning Tactics, Spike has a lot of area control. I can bet most of you dont use the Slingshot, because well...its virtually useless...but here's a tip, rely on resets. When an opponent bounces of the wall, do not be afraid of using the air sling**bleep** to interupt a counter attack, because afterwards, you can use their reset to their advantage, because they wouldnt expect it. You also have to be mentally aware of what you're doing to use Spike effectively. Spikes Down Square has almost no punishment time, and for me, the greatest anti dodging attack in the game. Whenever someone gets close, and i know they are about to dodge, i go ahead and take the bait, they dodge, and since you're faster, turn around and counter them, because once again, they underestimate the speed of that attack.

Im praising Spikes moves because he is easily one of the hardest characters to fight in the hands of a pro player. I main Spike, and i know his pros and cons His level 1 is best used like Jak uses his, because the hit box is pretty high up, and starts from the back. His level two is pretty straightforward.

Opinions on my praise and analysis? I dont do forum posts much and i just like to share my knowledge on the best character in the game >=o

Message 1 of 12 (360 Views)
Lombax Warrior
144 posts

Re: The Beauty of Spike

Mar 9, 2013

Too bad he's a 7 year old without a nose in a game about chasing monkeys. I will never use Spike, ever.

Message 2 of 12 (324 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Mar 9, 2013
Yea he's my second favorite player to play but he has terrible supers
Message 3 of 12 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
297 posts

Mar 9, 2013

Honestly i love using Spike but i feel like tend to use Square Moves alot and it bothers me i wanted to learn his whole moveset sometimes i use the Slingshot but not so often do you think you can help me out?

dead-rising-2-combo-weapon_o_GIFSoup.com.gifshadow-the-hedgehog_1411301_GIFSoup.com.gif

Chuck Greene and Shadow The Hedgehog For PSASBR

Message 4 of 12 (306 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
487 posts

Mar 9, 2013
Spike's my main. I absolutely love him and the game he's from. Ape Escape was my life. @InMeTheyTrust - Why wouldn't you use a character because they're from a game you didn't like? That's kind of odd. I mean, you're cheating yourself out of some fantastic characters.

Anyway, back to the point. I used to never use his Slingshot or his Magic Punch but now I realize how useful they are. His Magic Punch (sideO) can punch an enemy across the screen. It's amazing. His RC Car, if used properly, crumples enemies setting them up for combos. However, like y'all have said, his supers are terrible. His Level 2 and 3 get the same amount of kills if used right. Come on, that's no fair.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photobucket
Message 5 of 12 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
283 posts

Mar 9, 2013
Spike is my main. i tend to play a more hit and run type of game laying bananas on the ground, utilizing the bananarang and the down triangle attack in the air. i find him to be one of the most well rounded characters on the roster. he's got good range, decent combos and nice set ups. but his supers do really suck. his level 3 is kinda wasted cause they could've done something so much better for that but i feel that way with a lot of characters
Message 6 of 12 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
573 posts

Mar 9, 2013

InMeTheyTrust wrote:

Too bad he's a 7 year old without a nose in a game about chasing monkeys. I will never use Spike, ever.

He also traveled though time, saved the world from an army  of monkeys armed with real guns, missiles, and lasers, fought a giant mech, a heavily armed race car, and different monsters, and he's still a kid. I will always use Spike.

photo 4ea25363-6969-4d43-97fa-d3b44926e8da_zpsed248ee0.gif
Message 7 of 12 (236 Views)
Lombax Warrior
159 posts

Mar 9, 2013
Dive, down square, down triangle, down square, jump, wait a sec for their recovery, forward circle. 80 ish ap. If you get the timing down, dive, d square, d triangle, d square, jump, square x3 for 95 ap.

I mostly go for safety and do dive, sweep, up square and harass in the air with slingshot after that
Message 8 of 12 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Mar 9, 2013
Don't forget the hidden meta-game of Monkey Radar lvl.3 in the air, followed by a flying stun tackle. New technology.

*Blinks* InMeTheyTrust?? We meet again. XD
Message 9 of 12 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
87 posts

Mar 9, 2013

Yeah, for most people dont see it coming. I can help out Spike Players if they want help or tips.

Message 10 of 12 (153 Views)
0 Likes