Highlighted
Oct 18 2012
By: Zezzler Wastelander 596 posts

The Alternate Colors aren't alternate enough

14 replies 562 views Edited Oct 18, 2012

So after a couple days of playing the beta, My roommate and I have noticed that most of the pallate changes for when there are two of the same character playing, isn't distingt enough. 

Now, I'll preface this by saying that this does not apply to all characters, but it does for quite a few.

For example; In the picture below, we can see 3 different Kratos. Normal Kratos, Blue Kratos, and Black Kratos.

The difference between the Blue and Normal Kratos is NOT sufficient enough in game because of how fast pace it is, that it becomes easy to get mixed up (despite the Player marker over the characters). BUT, if all of the alternate colors were more obvious such as the difference between Black and Normal Kratos, then we wouldn't have this issue.

KratosBlue Parappa

And as can be seen from Blue Parappa above, this is an example of a good obvious color change. More characters need palate swaps like this.

Another character that is really bad at making a distinction between colors is Sweet Tooth. Only his pants change color, and again, can cause some confusion.

I can only hope that in the final release of the game this problem will not occur for the fact that there are unlockable alternate costumes, and I REALLY hope that the final game will give us the option during charcter select to pick an alternate color, not unlike most modern fighting games.

What do you guys think about this? Is it just me having poor eyesight or do you think the alternate colors need to be more obvious? 

Message 1 of 15 (562 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4120 posts

Re: The Alternate Colors aren't alternate enough

Oct 18, 2012

agreed

Message 2 of 15 (541 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3150 posts

Oct 18, 2012
Those aren't alt costumes, those are alt colors. And the alt colors are actually references to their respective games at times. Like Dante's player 2 giving him Vergil's coat. Or Fear Kratos. Or Parappa's alt colors from Parappa the Rapper 2.
Message 3 of 15 (533 Views)
Sackboy
460 posts

Oct 18, 2012
Yeah there are "2" forms of customization.

Palette Changes which generally give you other variations of the characters with vague references to the series they are in (like Dante becoming Vergil-ish) and then there are actual Alternate Costumes (which from leaks seems to hint at there being more than just the pre-order and possibly quite a few) so hopefully that will help making things better.

But I do agree. It's hard to tell who you are sometimes normally and the similarities don't make it easier.
Message 4 of 15 (516 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
596 posts

Oct 18, 2012

VinylSolution wrote:
Those aren't alt costumes, those are alt colors. And the alt colors are actually references to their respective games at times. Like Dante's player 2 giving him Vergil's coat. Or Fear Kratos. Or Parappa's alt colors from Parappa the Rapper 2.

Um, i never said those were alternate costumes... did you even read what I said? like, any of it? 

My point was that in the heat of battle, simply changing a red stripe to blue, or changing a character's patern on their pants doesn't make the characters distingt enough and at times causes confusion. 

While I do understand that they are trying to take influences from their respective history, they do need to keep gameplay in account. 

Message 5 of 15 (499 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1360 posts

Oct 18, 2012

VinylSolution wrote:

Just realized Sweet Tooth's camo alt colour was from the PSP Launch Commercial. XD 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 15 (498 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
596 posts

Oct 18, 2012

Another Example of what I am talking about is with Radec. 

His first alternate color adds a little bit of white. Whereas the second alternate color changes him entirely to red.

ALL of Radec's alt colors need to be more obvious, just as the red one is.

Radec Colors

Message 7 of 15 (481 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
954 posts

Oct 18, 2012
A 4th radec is yellow which is cool
Message 8 of 15 (474 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1257 posts

Oct 18, 2012
Agreed. A blue Radec would be great.
Message 9 of 15 (412 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1336 posts

Oct 18, 2012

Don't you follow your colored thing (player 1, 2, 3  or 4) instead. I notice this instead of my characters actual color.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photobucket
Message 10 of 15 (407 Views)
0 Likes